aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

My mate Manuel made me a paella last year and it was fucking superb. I can't remember what he put it in but I definitely remember mussels, chorizo and red wine going in. He's a chef (kind of), and also Spanish (kind of), a good combination for someone who's making you a paella.

You say Spanish + Chef, I hear greasy + drug addict.

as long as he didn't dip his sausage in the pealla.. QUE?

Manuell would be an ace name for a cat

I'll be sure to tell him that. He hates cats. A few years ago we were getting ready to go away to Ibiza, and he had bought new holiday clothes, and washed and ironed all the stuff he wanted to take with him, and packed them in his suitcase. He went out of the room for a minute and when he came back his flatmate's cat was busy pissing all over the case and everything in it. Pure comedy gold.

I'll be sure to tell him that. He hates cats. A few years ago we were getting ready to go away to Ibiza, and he had bought new holiday clothes, and washed and ironed all the stuff he wanted to take with him, and packed them in his suitcase. He went out of the room for a minute and when he came back his flatmate's cat was busy pissing all over the case and everything in it. Pure comedy gold.

ha ha ha class - that wouldn't of happened if he liked cats.....they can tell!! hee hee

Anyone any suggestions on what to cook for a group of friends...where one don't eat meat and the other don't eat fish...without making two seperate dishes?

I can always add chorizo/prawns once made the base and plit into two pans??

What kind of meal are we talking about? Something fancy or just something to cook before hitting town?

I've got a great Nick Nairn recipe at home for massive stuffed mushrooms on toast that makes a really filling starter or a main course depending on portion size. Just swap the bacon in the recipe for chopped peppers and it's good to go. Could post it tonight.

Stuffed peppers are another winner.

Otherwise you could do a paella and have the main rice/tomatoes/onion business cooking away in a pan and cook the meaty bits seperately then serve one veggy and one with the meaty topping.

Stir fry, cook it in individual batches (let everyone have a go if you want). Just make sure all the ingerdients are ready before you start and do some with meat and some with prawns or whatever.

Risotto is one of my favorite foods, but i have never once managed to make it as tasty as the risotto at my old work was.

First time i made it was with a mate when we were hungover/still pissed in the morning, 2 packets of risotto, whole bottle of white wine, shalotts, mushrooms and heaps of parmesan, was the dogs bollocks for a hangover cure, but we were eating it for about 5 days we made so much.

I've got a great Nick Nairn recipe at home for massive stuffed mushrooms on toast that makes a really filling starter or a main course depending on portion size. Just swap the bacon in the recipe for chopped peppers and it's good to go. Could post it tonight..

Please do, it's impossible to get decent ones here.

Garlic Mushrooms On Toast

Ingredients:

8 large open cup mushrooms (e.g. portobello)

About 6 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra to serve

4 smoked back bacon rashers, trimmed and diced (the recipe is in the vegetarian section of his book!)

1 small onion, finely chopped

2 garlic cloves, crushed (you can vary this to taste)

50g butter

Salt and pepper

3 tablespoons chopped flatleaf parsley, plus extra to garnish

100g fresh white breadcrumbs

Juice of 1/2 a lemon

1 baguette (or any really good fresh bread you can cut thick for toasting)

Preheat the oven to 230 C / 450 F / Gas 8

Remove the stalks from the mushrooms and chop the stalks roughly. Heat a frying pan, add 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and put in the bacon. Stir fry it until crips, and then add the mushroom stalks, onion, garlic and butter. Reduce the heat and cook for about 7 minutes, until softened. Add some seasoning, then the parsley and breadcrumbs and mix together well.

Oil a baking tray big enough to hold the mushroom caps and put them on it rounded side down. Slather with 2-3 tablespoons of the olive oil, then season generously and add a good squeeze of lemon juice. Now divide the filling between the mushrooms. If they look a bit dry, don't be afraid to drizzle on more olive oil. Place in the oven and bake for 12-15 minutes.

Meanwhile, start on the toast. Cut eight 2cm slices diagonally off the baguette (or slice whatever bread you decided on) and lay them on a baking tray. Once again, slather with olive oil (be generous because the bread will absorb a lot). Season lightly and put the slices in the oven with the mushrooms. They should take 6-7 minutes.

Put the slices of toast on four serving plates, put a mushroom on top of each one, and then garnish with a sprig of parsley and another drizzle of olive oil.

--------------------

It's delicious. As I said earlier, you can easily swap the bacon for some chopped up bits of bell pepper, it works pretty well.

This came from Nick Nairn's New Scottish Cookery book which I can thoroughly recommend (only fair if I'm putting up a recipe from it).

Nick Nairn's New Scottish Cookery Book: Amazon.co.uk: Nick Nairn: Books

What kind of meal are we talking about? Something fancy or just something to cook before hitting town?

I've got a great Nick Nairn recipe at home for massive stuffed mushrooms on toast that makes a really filling starter or a main course depending on portion size. Just swap the bacon in the recipe for chopped peppers and it's good to go. Could post it tonight.

Stuffed peppers are another winner.

Otherwise you could do a paella and have the main rice/tomatoes/onion business cooking away in a pan and cook the meaty bits seperately then serve one veggy and one with the meaty topping.

Stir fry, cook it in individual batches (let everyone have a go if you want). Just make sure all the ingerdients are ready before you start and do some with meat and some with prawns or whatever.

Ooh I have a phobia of eating mushrooms...stuffed tomato's sound good though....I could maybe make a mixed bean chilli or soemthing along those lines

It's a meal for a couple fo friends coming round for the evening. Fed up making the same old stuff (lasgane, spag bol pasta etc)

I could maybe make a mixed bean chilli or soemthing along those lines

This recipe is the king of Veggie chilli in my eyes. I've made it loads. One tip I'd maybe give though is to use slightly less stock than it suggests otherwise it can be a bit runny. Other than that it's amazing, cheap and makes loads.

Three-Bean Chilli

Ingredients

2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil

1 medium yellow skinned onion, chopped

1 large red pepper, seeded and chopped

1 large green pepper, seeded and chopped

1 large jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped

3 cloves garlic, crushed and chopped

230ml beer or vegetable stock/broth

1 (32- ounce) can crushed tomatoes

1 (14-ounce) can black beans

1 (14-ounce) can dark red kidney beans

1 can of refried beans

1 tablespoon ground cumin

2 tablespoons chili powder

1 tablespoon Tabasco

1 teaspoon coarse salt

1 can of refried beans

Directions

Over moderate heat, add oil to a deep pot and combine onion, peppers, and garlic. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes to soften vegetables. Deglaze pan with beer or broth, add tomatoes, black beans, red kidney beans, and stirring to combine.

Season chili with cumin, chili powder, hot sauce, and salt. Thicken chili by stirring in refried beans. Simmer over low heat about 5 to 10 minutes longer. Serve with rice and top with soured cream.

This recipe is the king of Veggie chilli in my eyes. I've made it loads. One tip I'd maybe give though is to use slightly less stock than it suggests otherwise it can be a bit runny. Other than that it's amazing, cheap and makes loads.

Three-Bean Chilli

Ingredients

1 can of refried beans

1 tablespoon Tabasco

1 teaspoon coarse salt

1 can of refried beans

Directions

Over moderate heat, add oil to a deep pot and combine onion, peppers, and garlic. Saute for 3 to 5 minutes to soften vegetables. Deglaze pan with beer or broth, add tomatoes, black beans, red kidney beans, and stirring to combine.

Season chili with cumin, chili powder, hot sauce, and salt. Thicken chili by stirring in refried beans. Simmer over low heat about 5 to 10 minutes longer. Serve with rice and top with soured cream.

That is a shit load of refried beans!

o_O

Guest droid

Three-Bean Chilli

Ingredients

1 can of refried beans

1 tablespoon Tabasco

1 teaspoon coarse salt

1 can of refried beans

Directions

Try adding 3 squares of Green and Black's 85% cocoa chocolate and the juice of 1 lime.....mmmmmm yummy.:up:

Three-Bean Chilli

Ingredients

1 can of refried beans

1 tablespoon Tabasco

1 teaspoon coarse salt

1 can of refried beans

Directions

Try adding 3 squares of Green and Black's 85% cocoa chocolate and the juice of 1 lime.....mmmmmm yummy.:up:

Ooh might try them....combine the two! Chocolate and spicey tomato is the finest....try the sauce with meatballs to adding the chocolate in the last 30mins mmmmm

Actually dont. It has chicken in it.

Yeah I noticed that, might try it anyway tho for myself :)