aberdeen-music

Mmmmmm Om Nom Nom Nom

DJ Jo-D

Bit like the movie thread, but food related (gotta be a fave topic for me)

So have you ate out somewhere really nice/bad.....or did you cook something well fine you have to share the recipe.....I'm always on the look out for new food ideas

I made a concoction last night after a lidls shop and it was well tastey even tho maybe sounds yucky!!

Cooked mexican salmon (lidls salmon fillet covered in spices) - re-heated in a wok with

Fried Onions

Smothered in Sweet Chilli sauce

Basmati Rice - stir fried with egg n Rice Wine

all cooked and mixed yummo!!!

My flatmate bought me stuff for making sushi for my birthday. I bloody love sushi. I have been practicing making maki rolls using a rolling mat two nights in a row.

Once I've mastered making veggie ones with cucumber and avocado and the like, I'm going to start making raw fish ones. Yum.

Not so keen on sushi, have tried but something about chilled rice kinda puts me off

Good trick of making sushi is making sure your hands are really cold :) learned that from a tartan asian extreme film, think it was old boy ?(

My favourite recipe: it's yummy and quite easy. Feeds 3 easily, 4 at a push and you can make it for under a tenner, depening on what you've got in the cupboards already.

Chicken & White Wine Risotto

Ingredients

350 g Italian risotto rice

2 Onions

500g Chicken breast

100g Peas

40g parmesan

1 red pepper

1 1/2 pints chicken stock

1 glass White wine

25g Butter

3 tablespoons Olive oil

teaspoon Saffron

2 cloves of Garlic

Prep:

Slice the chicken thinly

chop the onion, the garlic and the pepper

Wash the risotto rice in cold water

Method

Fry the chicken in the olive oil until it's cooked (5 mins)

Take the chicken out of the pan and put it aside

Add more olive oil and put in the onions, garlic and red pepper. Fry for 10 minutes to soften the onions and peppers.

When the ingredients are softened, add the cooked chicken and fry for a further two minutes.

Add the risotto rice and fry for another two minutes stirring constantly. make sure the rice is coated with the olive oil. Add the saffron.

Add the wine and stir. When the wine has been absorbed by the rice add a ladleful of the chicken stock.

Each time the stock is absorbed, add another ladleful. When all the stock has been added and absorbed, the rice should be moist and soft but not runny. This will take about 15 minutes

Add the peas, the butter and the parmesan cheese. Cook for 2 minutes.

Serve.

DELICIOUS

If you're making anything you would normally put ketchup on, like burgers or hot dogs or whatever, a nice, tastier and ridiculously easy substitute is:

soften finely chopped red onion in olive oil

add roughly chopped tomatoes (any kind, remove the seeds)

add a few generous dashes of balsamic vinegar and a spoonful of brown sugar

stir on a highish heat until the tomatoes are mushy....

BAM... home made relish.

Tomato Sauce

1 Tin chopped tomatoes, supermarket own brand, no added stuff

2 Chopped onions, 1 red, 1 white

2 Teaspoons Garlic Powder

2 Stalks of Celery

1 Teaspoon whole cumin

1 Teaspoon mustard powder

10oz water, 5oz soya milk(thickens the mix)

Blend all together until near liquified

Heat for 20 mins until boiling but do not prolong boiling

leave to cool and blend again

Pour into a plastic container and store in the fridge

This should last about a month for 2 people

Bhan Thai's on Rose Street.

I had a couple of superb cajun beef skewers from the butchers on chattan place last night. Grilled them, then served with some spicy mash. Awesome.

Made some spaghetti and meatballs earlier in the week that would have been awesome if I hadn't left it on too high and burnt it. I blame Fallout 3 for distracting me.

Anyway the secret to that dish was the sauce, which is basically the same basic sauce I use for bolognese and chilli dishes but with additions depending on the specific dish. It's pretty simple, easy to customise to your own tastes and much better than the stuff you buy in jars:

1 onion diced

2 or 3 cloves of garlic, smashed/ground so they're a juicy mess

heaps of salt, pepper and oregano. Don't skimp on the pepper!

Ideally half a jar of Passata, but Asda are shit and only sell their own jars now which are full of garlic and herbs that I don't want. So a tin of chopped tomatoes will do.

1 beef oxo cube

pinch or two of sugar

tomato paste

small glass of red wine, port or some balsamic vinegar (depends what I've got in the flat)

In a large pan on a high heat, brown off the meat, chuck in the onion and garlic until soft (don't burn the garlic).

Add a decent squeeze of tomato paste and stir it in so it cooks off for a few minutes.

Throw in the seasoning and any spices if you're doing a hot dish. Also crumble in the oxo cube at this point (purists may not like this, it's a total cheat but I don't care).

Add the sugar then the wine/port/vinegar and give it all a god stir round.

Finally add the passata/tomatoes, give it one final stir and then turn the heat right down as low as you can get it and put the lid on the pan.

Go and do something else for at least an hour, stirring occasionally is ok but shouldn't be necessary as long as the heat isn't too high.

If I'm cooking chilli I'll add some rinsed kidney beans half an hour before serving. Just before it's ready I'll also stir in a good load of basil.

Once it's ready the sauce should be nice and rich and meat will be soft and tender. If not just leave it on the heat until it is then serve with your spaghetti, rice or whatever.

I like making chocolate brownies:

200g plain chocolate

200g butter/marg

50g caster sugar

3 eggs

a handful of mini marshmallows

80g plain flour

40g cocoa powder

boil some water in a pan, put a bowl over the top and melt the plain chocolate and butter together.

In another bowl, whisk the 3 eggs with the caster sugar. Try to use an electric whisk, the sugar and eggs should turn a pale yellow colour and should increase quite a bit in volume.

Slowly add the chocolate/butter mixture to the whisked eggs, a wee bit at a time. Then add the flour and cocoa powder. The mixture will seem very dry at first, but keep going it will turn out nice. Mix in some marshmallows and that's you.

Put the mixture into a buttered tray and bake for 20 minutes at about 170c.

At new new i made

Ham in a honey coat in an orange house

1st i had to soak my ham in honey for 3-4hours...which while i was doing thought the ham wasa gonna be soooo sweet i doubted wether id eat it......after 3-4hours soaking in honey (grade3 by the way) i sliced a big orange into thin sliced and cover the ham with it.....So it looked like a wee house.......Cooked it for 3-4hours........When it had litle over an hour left i basted the fat every 10 minutes with more honey........

Once cooked i removed all the oranges and let it settle.......

Once i sliced it up and served it up i was eager to see how sweeeet it tasted...And you know this it wasnt sweeet one little bit and it didnt taste of oranges...What it had done tho is extracted all the salt from the meat and made it taste like one of the best honey roasted hams ive ever tasted......

With my beef i simply plopped in my slow cooker (unbrowned as directed) with 3 halfed red onions..and 2 nicely chopped sweet potaotes......Poured in 3/4 of a bottle of red wine and let it slow cook for 7 bloody hours..........I hate red wine and wasnt that keen on tasting it....But wow it was bloody awsome......So awsome i rehated the left over juice's from it the next day added 2 teaspoons of bisty powder and made gravy with it.....

All in all it is the most ive cooked in 1 day and for so many people and i was totaly the hero that day as everyone loved it...

mmmm made first roast beef joint on my tod last night with roast pot's yummo! well pleased with the outcome :) it included Roast beetroot - mmmmmm defo worth it if you do a roast!

Weird!!!! I made my first ever roast last night as well! Roast beef with roast tatties, parsnips and carrots, with gravy. It was fucking lovely, even if I did forget the Yorkshire puddings.