aberdeen-music

Dissapointing.

Ever had a show/album from an artist that you eagerly anticipated but were crushingly dissapointed by it?

This thoughts in my mind as today I bought Nas' "Illmatic"-apparently a pivotal rap album- that came to my attention as it was mentioned on another thread, and also I have Nigger and Stillmatic. I was grossly underwhelmed by a mix of not bad lyrics and horribly generic mid 90's beats.

That and the latest Bloc Party effort. Never loved them but its not a patch on the first two.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing Van Morrison live. Paying 30+ for a ticket to witness a man not sing during the first three songs, then abuse the audience with horrible astro-wank-jazz for what was an eternity. The only song I recognised was "Here Comes the Night."

The last Rilo Kiley album was grim, no matter how many times I've listened to it and tried to like it.

Seeing Van Morrison live. Paying 30+ for a ticket to witness a man not sing during the first three songs, then abuse the audience with horrible astro-wank-jazz for what was an eternity. The only song I recognised was "Here Comes the Night."

The last Rilo Kiley album was grim, no matter how many times I've listened to it and tried to like it.

It's not THAT bad. If Dejalo doesn't get you jivin' there's something wrong with you!

For some reason that song just reminds me of Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine. Fair play to Jenny Lewis on the solo album though, and for writing Portions For Foxes.

And her work with Postal Service, imo. Though, that was quite a while ago.

Clutch at The Garage, Glasgow, 2006.

The music was great, and I know they are a stoner rock band, but christ, at least make it look like you wanted to be there! They just seemed so lethargic (and stoned, funnily enough).

They were truly tumbleweed-inducing. Corrosion blew them out of the water. Their show in 2007 was fucking magic though.

Disappointing? Well, the last Down album was nowhere near as good as the first two and the fact that they're now apparently a full-time venture worries me 'cause it probably means that COC, EHG and Crowbar are gonna be put on the backburner. And don't me wrong, I love the first two Down records, but they don't compare to some of the COC/EHG/Crowbar stuff, for me at least.

Against Me's latest release was complete pants, or maybe I've just grown out of them. I dunno.

I agree on Illmatic too. I mean, it's good. Very good, in fact, and some of the songs on it are amazing, but I don't understand the whole "OMG best rap album of the '90's" thing that follows it around.

Explosions in the Sky. After getting into the whole post-rock thing, I thought that I'd be hooked on 'em right away. Two CDs and multiple listens later and I still find 'em really dull.

For some reason that song just reminds me of Gloria Estefan and The Miami Sound Machine.

That is exactly how i felt about that song. That whole Rilo Kiley album is shockingly shit though. So much so that i actually passed up the chance of picking it up at a heavily reduced cost in the Brucie's sale.

I can't remember a gig off the top of my head where i was disappointed.

Arctic Monkeys at the AECC. Yes I know most of you won't find that surprising, but I was under the impression that they were meant to be a pretty good live act. They acknowledged the audience's existence once (and only just), and I honestly thought he was going to off and cry to his mummy when a t-shirt landed 3 feet away from him. Worst gig I've ever been to, and that's ignoring the usual "lad" AECC crowd

I have mixed feelings on that album, Rilo Kiley are one of my favourite bands and from their debut produced three stunning albums in a row. I consider both The Execution Of All Things and More Adventurous among my all-time favourite albums and one of the best bands I've seen life. Under The Blacklight was in general pretty bad though, it had maybe two really good songs, and another two pretty good ones but other than that it was a bit of a washout.

They took a gamble but it didn't really pay off. I wish they'd just either stuck with the orchestrated Americana kind of stuff on MA or gone back to the more 'Indie-Rock' stuff of TEOAT. It worries me that after they fairly minimal success of UTB, they'll just stick to doing the solo stuff from now on because, as much as I like Jenny Lewis solo and The Elected, I much prefer them as a band.

I have been waiting to have that Rilo Kiley based rant for some time now.

Edit - I feel I must also add, I consider the lyrics on TEOAT and MA to be the finest produced post 2000 by anyone other than Joanna Newsom.

AECC gigs are usually crap, and the venue's just as much to blame as the crowd! Let's face it, it's a hanger! The sound's all over the shop!

I remember the worst support band I ever saw was Chikinki (sp?) who were supporting The Charlatans at the Music Hall. What was worse was that Driveblind were on before them, and they were amazing that night.

In terms of records, the ultimate one for me was Oasis' 'Be Here Now'. I rode along with it for a few months when it came out and then I thought, 'This is absolutely sh1te!'. I think it's probably my greatest ever let-down of a record, as it should have been amazing, but it also makes sense given that they were all off their faces on charlie. It's a shame. The first two records will always do it for me though, will always remind me of my schooldays.

Primal Scream at the Music Hall. Wanted to see them for years and on the night I thought the sound quality was utter rank, and that the set list was done in a very strange order. Only the `old` songs got any real response from the crowd.

An othe other hand, a show that I was pleasently surprised with was the Goo Goo Dolls at the same venue. Only about a zillion times better than I thought it would be. Cheeeezy American rock perhaps but worked for me!

An othe other hand, a show that I was pleasently surprised with was the Goo Goo Dolls at the same venue. Only about a zillion times better than I thought it would be. Cheeeezy American rock perhaps but worked for me!

I saw the Goos three times that year. Extremely well-drilled live act that are really cracking at what they do.

In terms of disappointing live acts, The Eighties Matchbox B-Line Disaster supporting both Placebo and SOAD over the last couple of years. It was only during the latter show that I had a moment of clarity and realised that they're actually just a terrible band.

Clutch!

Now, that's a boring band if ever I saw one. I saw them out of curiosity (and figured I'd probably like them) at Roskilde but they were so intensely dull that I couldn't bare to watch them.

Award for most dissapointing band I have ever seen goes to Battles though. They were fucking horrible live. They appeared to ask the lighting techs to turn static lighting on, then proceeded to turn their backs to the audience and go off in a one of the most self indulgent (and immensely boring) tangents I have ever witnessed. I expected a lot from them and they didn't even deliver a flicker of joy to me.

You are walking a thin line... a thin line...

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Ever had a show/album from an artist that you eagerly anticipated but were crushingly dissapointed by it?

This thoughts in my mind as today I bought Nas' "Illmatic"-apparently a pivotal rap album- that came to my attention as it was mentioned on another thread, and also I have Nigger and Stillmatic. I was grossly underwhelmed by a mix of not bad lyrics and horribly generic mid 90's beats.

That and the latest Bloc Party effort. Never loved them but its not a patch on the first two.

o_O that statement should be enough evidence for an on-the-spot arrest for narcotic possession. How could anyone with a remote interest in rap speak ill of that album? The beats probably sound mid 90s because it was released in 1994...and they were produced by basically the most renowned guys in NYC not only of the moment, but in history as I type this in 2009. NY State Of Mind might be my favourite beat of all time! Preemo, Tribe, Pete Rock, Large Pro? Nas was 19 when he recorded the whole thing! Worse, everything he has done since Illmatic is totally lacklustre in my opinion. I've never even bothered to buy his other albums though cos I hated everything I heard so I'm possibly running my mouth a little there.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
I saw Battles at a festival a couple of years ago and walked off bored after about ten minutes. I was a long way from being alone in doing this.

me too .

o_O that statement should be enough evidence for an on-the-spot arrest for narcotic possession. How could anyone with a remote interest in rap speak ill of that album? The beats probably sound mid 90s because it was released in 1994...and they were produced by basically the most renowned guys in NYC not only of the moment, but in history as I type this in 2009. NY State Of Mind might be my favourite beat of all time! Preemo, Tribe, Pete Rock, Large Pro? Nas was 19 when he recorded the whole thing! Worse, everything he has done since Illmatic is totally lacklustre in my opinion. I've never even bothered to buy his other albums though cos I hated everything I heard so I'm possibly running my mouth a little there.

I don't care if other people hail the producers as geniuses. I think the beats are crap.

I was just expecting more. It's not a bad album, it's just not nearly as good imo as everyone says it is.

Having listened to the whole thing about 3 more times since I last typed I do confess the lyrics are off the hook, as it were.