aberdeen-music

Flu

framheim

Seems everyones been sick this winter. Have you been ill? how bad was it? manflu, flu or norovirus? my work have half their staff off sick this week, including me :(

currently i'm as ill as i've ever been in my life. someone described flu to me as being so ill that if there was a 20 note on the ground in front of you then you wouldn't pick it up. i see what they mean. no energy, every bloody movement causes coughing and wretching and my whole body is throbbing with pain. all i ate yesterday was toast as i didn't feel confident in keeping anything down.

anyone got any miracle cures? i'm just taking paracetamol, sudafed, chesty cough medicine and fluids.

Seems everyones been sick this winter. Have you been ill? how bad was it? manflu, flu or norovirus? my work have half their staff off sick this week, including me :(

currently i'm as ill as i've ever been in my life. someone described flu to me as being so ill that if there was a 20 note on the ground in front of you then you wouldn't pick it up. i see what they mean. no energy, every bloody movement causes coughing and wretching and my whole body is throbbing with pain. all i ate yesterday was toast as i didn't feel confident in keeping anything down.

anyone got any miracle cures? i'm just taking paracetamol, sudafed, chesty cough medicine and fluids.

I had the same thing starting about Dec 23rd and it's still in me..! I drank bottles of Covonia and managed to get some anti biotics from the doc but didn't really help.

I feel your pain though and wish you the best. Also Night Nurse is pretty good if you are struggling to sleep.

I had the same thing starting about Dec 23rd and it's still in me..! I drank bottles of Covonia and managed to get some anti biotics from the doc but didn't really help.

I feel your pain though and wish you the best. Also Night Nurse is pretty good if you are struggling to sleep.

i have been struggling to sleep actually. haven't had a full nights sleep for 3 nights so will try and get some night nurse later. thanks for that.

Got an upset stomach? Get somebody to go to the supermarket and buy a cheap bottle of Coke, shake it/leave it open until it goes flat, then drink a glass whenever your stomach is starting to feel turbulent and it should calm things down. It might sound like a nonsense theory but it's always worked for me; if I don't think I can keep my food down I have a glass of flat Coke about 30 minutes before meal time, then Bob's your uncle. It's also pretty good for indigestion/stomach acid. Give it a whirl.

i thought you only got the flu jab if you were old or working in areas where you're likely to come into contact with it.

i've managed to recover enough to have a shower which makes me feel all the more human. i think that shall be the extent of my activity today though. a marathon sofa session of civilisation 4 is called for i think with perhaps a break in the afternoon to try and get out to the shop for some more drugs. bleh.

I'm coming down with it. Feel like utter shit today. Hope I don't get a bad bout.... so much for the flu jab....

Flu jab won't prevent man-flu (cold).

BBC - Health - Conditions - Flu (influenza)

I've had a cold for about a month now, can't get rid of the bloody thing. Peaked in it's first week but the milder symptoms (blocked nose, coughing) keep drifting back every couple of days.

All this bollocks in the papers recently about a flu epidemic at Pittodrie annoys me. If the players really had flu then they wouldn't be able to make training for weeks (none of them have been off training for more than a day or so) and certainly wouldn't be able to play. Think the worst affected was Lee Mair and he still made the bench and got subbed on. They've just had the same cold that everyone in Aberdeen has had in the last month.

i thought you only got the flu jab if you were old or working in areas where you're likely to come into contact with it.

I'm lucky enough to be diabetic and asthmatic, both of which qualify for a flu jab.

Although this year I actually got offered one through my work so I took that to save going to the doctors.

I'm sorry to hear you're out of action Davey! Nicht gut...

Sleep, easy entertaining movies or full TV series always help me through my ill times. That and lemsips, lemon and honey with hot water, plenty of duvets/warm coverings, and soup. Never enough soup. Easy on the stomach. Tomato and Basil by Heinz. Winner.

Full better soon chum.

Luckily *touch wood* I haven't had a dose of it yet but everyone in my office is coming down with it and the girlfriend has been struggling though it. With her though, it's hard to tell where the illness ends and the jet lag begins. She had a rough time of it over New Year as well.

That isn't surprising - antibiotics have no effect on viruses, which both the common cold and influenza are.

I actually got diabetes after a dose of the flu close to 20 years ago, seems the antibodies my body produced went a bit over the top and atacked my pancreas. :down:

So, um, get well soon. *cough*

Christ, that sucks.

I've avoided all attempts at real illness so far despite all my work colleagues being ill a couple of weeks ago. I am fighting fit at the moment though so i think that could be something to do with it. I had an inner ear infection a week ago but a couple of doses of paracetamol and manning-up did the trick.

Beats Christmas/New Year in '07 though when i was shitting my insides out for about 3 weeks. That was the most ill i'd ever been though. I was well out of shape at the time though.

Christ, that would have been a nsty surprise. Over the flu and then hit with diabetes. :down:

It's OK, it took me a few months of feeling ill before I was actually diagnosed with diabetes.

Diabetes isn't all that bad, yes it's a pain in the arse having to inject 4 times a day and watch what you eat, but hey, it could be cancer.

Flu jab won't prevent man-flu (cold).

BBC - Health - Conditions - Flu (influenza)

I've had a cold for about a month now, can't get rid of the bloody thing. Peaked in it's first week but the milder symptoms (blocked nose, coughing) keep drifting back every couple of days.

All this bollocks in the papers recently about a flu epidemic at Pittodrie annoys me. If the players really had flu then they wouldn't be able to make training for weeks (none of them have been off training for more than a day or so) and certainly wouldn't be able to play. Think the worst affected was Lee Mair and he still made the bench and got subbed on. They've just had the same cold that everyone in Aberdeen has had in the last month.

People claiming to have 'flu' when its really just a nasty Cold is one of my pet-hates, as someone who was been hit with it twice in the past. When you get the flu good and proper it will fucking completely wipe you out.

As my Doctor says, rather smart arseingly... if someone phones up claiming they have the flu and need an appointmemt urgently, he asks if they're able to come in immediately. If they say yes; they don't have flu.

had the sniffles for about a month now, but never really getting the proper chance os rest and getting rid

Can only suggest wrap up, hot drinks, keep a window open for fresh air and take your contacts out if you wear any....contact lenses harbour colds and prolong them so I was told by the doc!

All I can say is ...drink plenty fluids.

I was ill last month and slept for 2 days. I drank some water but it wasn't enough. Got a shock when I saw myself in the mirror... sunken eye sockets. (Yes, I always look terrible in the mirror before anyone tells me)