aberdeen-music

Things for sale

Localboylost

• 2 months later...
Just thought I'd mention that I got the Rolyford back to good health,

I just picked one of these up and I'm quite surprised by the sound you got out of it. It sounds more like a large acoustic than an archtop.

FYI: Rolyford was a UK brand which imported German guitars in the 50's and 60's. It's fair enough that Jordan thought it was a Framus. Everyone thinks this and it has become the accepted idea. However, it's much more likely that they were built by Wolfgang Huttl. His company were building and exporting some fantastic guitars around the same time.

If you want an authentic P.U. system you might want to start looking around german ebay. You'll probably find one that was originally fitted on the "Rolyford" model although it would probably be made by Framus or Schaller. I don't think Huttl made pickups. The old style german P.U. pickguard combos were pretty whacky.

p

Thanks very much for that, bongopedro.....I appreciate the info. I've mostly just been mic-ing it up with an old Shure Unidyne, but I'd like to get one of those pickguard combos. Even a modern version would be OK.

I tried a 'sticky-on' contact mic thing, but the sound was horribly trebly, and, after sitting for a while the sticky stuff melted and the mic slid. (I'm scared to take it off in case it damages the varnish).