aberdeen-music

Got 5 EPs from Basick Records for a quid each!

Kaizen

So heres my wee reviews of them. My opinion of course, so feel free to listen to the bands yourself and disagree! =)

The Comanche Cipher:

All in all, Very good. Slight overuse of a riff here and a dischord there, but nothing major. Didnt like the vocals at first (at times sound like the Billy Talent vocalist...), but they grew on me a little by the end of the CD. The last song on the album keeps reminding me of Atreyu for some reason though... Overall, Nothing groundbreaking, but definately a good listen and worth buying.

The Arusha Accord:

What the hell... Im 45 seconds into the first song and so far, its a cross between We Came With Broken Teeth, Slipknot, Nirvanas Incesticide album and lots of other things i just cant quite put a name to... Well this is strange. And oddly likeable! Its got this kind of off scale messyness a lot that i personally am not a fan of, but also has melodic vocal breaks reminiscent of Fellsilent, Which i do like. A lot. Major respect to all the musicians in this band. Clearly immensely talented.

The Abner:

I honestly dont know what to say... A lot of the time, i really dont like it... they've got this kind of gallows-esque-ness about them that i cant stand... but then they will kick you in the stomach with a big fat beat down then start dancing around you with their little pop punk choruses... Honestly, give them a listen and make your own mind up! Sorry... Cant help but laugh at this band... In the second song, they have a beatdown punctuated by high pitched "woo yeah!" gang chants... I just dont know what to say... Bloody catchy though.

Shy of the Depth:

Heres me sitting thinking "meh dunno, nothing special..." and yet i've not stopped tapping my foot since the EP came on. So it must be pretty good. Alot of it seems not particularly well thought out and there is alot more off-scale nonsence which i still dont like... and wont like regardless off how many otherwize excellent bands use it. Interesting use of rythm and very catch a lot of the time, but for me, most of the EP is overshadowed by an annoying irrelevant guitar playing irrelevant notes. Once again however, talented musicians.

Gehenna VII VII VII:

This is the one I've been waiting for. And so far I'm not disappointed! Metalcore the way it should be. Melodic and well thought out, but still bloody brutal. The first tracks suffer from a slight lack of guitar melody, but thats all sorted by the time you get to "seven". Not got much else to say, GIve them a listen and hear for yourself.

x

Yeah I can see where your coming from. They do become slightly more like... a metal band as the EP goes on. I was trying to get across their slightly... against the grain approach to their music (thus the We Came With Broken Teeth reference). But the opinion the first 45 seconds are almost something youd expect from Primus if you ask me. There are probably a whole lot of bands that sound a lot like them and I'm just seeing them as particularly strange because, as i said earlier, i dont listen to that kind of music.

Oh and dont be offended that i didnt grab MMW while i was at it. Got that one when it first came out. Same with Fell Silent.

Thought you guys were playing with Gehenna some time soon? I'm bloody gutted now =|

x

Aren't Abner the comedy band with the beardy singer? I seem to remember somebody posting one of their disturbing music videos on here a while ago...

Yeah thats probably the one. Really wierd EP... Well worth a listen though! Even if only for the shits n giggles =)

x

Oh and dont be offended that i didnt grab MMW while i was at it. Got that one when it first came out. Same with Fell Silent.

yeah man, I know - I seem to recall you said a few kind words about it when it came out. :)

Fell Silent album is brilliant...

We were meant to be playing three shows at the end of January with Gehenna but not anymore obviously!

Guest Jake Wifebeater
l_f13534704ac03c8a2a7178f7349d95b7.jpg

Look at their faces. Even his own band think he's a twat.

Looks like a defective batch of HRT tablets, the rest of the band look like twats as well...