aberdeen-music

Music shops in New York

Mouse

Don't forget the Pawn Shops.

Musicians are often hard up and pawn guitars for ready cash. If they don't redeem the pawned item and pay the extra charges within 4 months - it goes on sale.

There are even pawn shops on Broadway but the rougher the district the better the products in the shops. Take a walk along 42nd street and then check out the pawns out towards the Apollo Theatre on 125th Street.

Further to my last reply, the street I'm thinking of is 48th st and between 6th and 7th avenues (not 7th and 8th like I previously said). The directions from Times Square will get you there regardless. Manny's is on that street and considered a bit of an institution as far as I'm aware.

As mentioned above, pawn shops may be worth a shout if you're looking for a bit of a deal.

Manny's for sure. It's on West 48th Street between 6th & 7th Avenue.

Also, check out 30-street (Welcome to 30th Street Guitars) and (if you've got the time) check these out....

Rudy's-

Rudys Music: New York City since 1978

169 West 48th Street

New York, NY, 10036

(212) 391-1699 | (212) 768-3782

Ludlow Guitars

Ludlow Guitars - Vintage Guitars, Used Guitars, New Guitars

164 Ludlow Street

New York, NY, 10002

212-353-1775 | 212-353-1749

and

Mat Umanov's

Matt Umanov Guitars

273 Bleecker Street

New York,, NY, 10014

(212) 675-2157 | (212) 727-8404

Second the Les Paul suggestion.....he won't be there (Iridium) much longer!

I've been in Umanov's (OK....bought an echo pedal there), Ludlow Guitars (quite liked it) and Chelsea Guitars .Home ....folks do say never to buy a guitar in NYC though!!!!! Bigsby is probably the man in the know....

If you get to Ludlow's , there's Rivington Guitars just round the corner....some folks say they are rip-off merchants, mind!........ Rivington Guitars: NYCs Best Little Guitar Store

edit...I see they've moved to East 4th St, so they're not 'just round the corner' from Ludlow St anymore.

Is this a cost thing or because of some sort of terrible curse?

(hopes for the latter, especially if Ark of the Covenant face melting is involved)

That explains Bigsby then!!:laughing:

Nah...it's just a cost thing... a lot of the NYC shops are viewed with suspicion by non NYC types, due to rip-off experiences apparently. (As far as second-hand buying goes...I think there a re plenty of good deals on new ones).

Good advice so far, there's also a big Guitar Centre near Washington Square.

The NYC prices are fairly silly, and the exchange rate drop won't have helped. It was about 1.85 when I was there 3 years ago, meaning by $2,700 Les Paul ended up costing around 1,450. I bought it from Wildwood Guitars, who mailed it to my hotel. Doing it this way means you get the best price AND you won't pay any state sale tax either.

I would also recommend going to see Les Paul, and why not do what I did - buy a Les Paul over there and take it along for him to sign? :up: Top bloke and a good night out, he was over 90 when I was there in 05, can't believe he's still playing now.

Just be sure to time your trip carefully, unfortunately I managed to end up there at the same time as Alan Cynic who took us to what must surely be the only bar in swanky Manhattan with sawdust on the floor.

Oh, and of the shops I did go to, I liked Matt Umanov's and 30th Street best, 30th St in particular had a decent selection of affordable second hand stuff. But you must time your visit to Umanov's to coincide with a meal time, John's pizzeria across the street has unquestionably the best pizza I've ever tasted.

• 4 weeks later...