aberdeen-music

Dublin: Cheapest mode of transport?

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

I am going across to Ireland to play a couple of shows later this month and would prefer to do it on a shoe-string budget.

Have you been to Dublin before? How did you get there?

I'm trying to formulate the cheapest method, so if any of you have any experience, I'd appreciate your contribution.

Guest idol_wild
Ryanair do Aberdeen to Dublin for about 30, most of which is the airport taxes. So if you're travelling light you probably won't beat it. They'll probably charge over the odds for taking your instrument with you though.

Yeah, but what about my guitar?

Arf.

I possibly will look into such flights. It makes the most sense really. :up:

Okay, let's see...

Ryanair will be the cheapest way for a flight only - but I suspect you'll get royally shafted on the baggage fees, particularly for a musical instrument both ways. UK taxes are a killer too - and Aberdeen's airport fees aren't too cheap too.

There is an alternative, though long winded. You can buy a ticket on Citylink straight through to Dublin, including ferry travel - I recall it used to be 50 pounds return, but may be quite a bit more expensive now. The same offer is also available via train - but be warned, it is a very lengthy way of getting there. Likewise, the train is available as a ticket from Aberdeen-Dublin, though you might have a battle with trying to get them to issue such a ticket.

The bus IIRC takes 12 hours including ferry crossing Stranraer-Belfast.

As for Dublin itself, from the airport to the city centre, take the city buses, *not* the airport buses. You can get an ordinary city bus for a tiny amount - it was less than 2 euro each way when I was there, as opposed to 8 euro return on the airport bus. The city buses will stop at Dublin Airport too - though it can be a tediously slow trip into the centre (1 hours vs 30 minutes-ish).

Dublin itself is quite cheap to get around - the city transport (except the Luas) is quite cheap, though Dublin is compact enough to be able to walk around.

There may be a cheap option of getting tickets Aberdeen-Crewe (or Warrington) and then getting another train to Holyhead, then ferry from there - but it's possibly even more long winded and tedious than the Stranraer-Belfast option.

Another option for flights (though I'm not sure there's still such a flight!) might be Aberdeen-Belfast on Flybe - though Flybe are notorious for adding on extra charges. But if they're cheap, then Belfast-Dublin is pretty cheap on Ulsterbus/Bus Eireann.

If you need any more information, feel free to ask :)

second edit : Ryanair's instrument policy - Ryanair.com - FAQS : Can I bring musical instruments?

third edit : Their cabin baggage policy is here - Ryanair.com - FAQS : Cabin Baggage Allowance . It's worth stressing that Ryanair are horrible with consistency with policies - I've seen people take all sorts of crap onto the plane in Poznan, yet be strict as hell in Stansted. Likewise, in Aberdeen, it seems to depend on what kind of mood that the handling company are in. But with Ryanair being the way they are, I wouldn't risk the possibility of a stupid charge before the flight - if you do book an instrument, then do it in advance.

Elizabeth : Barnacles. No question about it - it's cheap, centrally located, yet in a quiet enough part of Temple Bar so that you won't be kept up by idiotic drunks at 4am - yet if you want idiotic drunk action, it's about 2 minutes walk from the hostel to such action. I can't recommend the place enough - the staff are friendly, it's cheap and warm and comes absolutely recommended. I ended up there after a mixup with hotel bookings, and they were absolute stars - I really can't recommend the place enough.

There is an alternative, though long winded. You can buy a ticket on Citylink straight through to Dublin, including ferry travel - I recall it used to be 50 pounds return, but may be quite a bit more expensive now. The same offer is also available via train - but be warned, it is a very lengthy way of getting there. Likewise, the train is available as a ticket from Aberdeen-Dublin, though you might have a battle with trying to get them to issue such a ticket.

The bus IIRC takes 12 hours including ferry crossing Stranraer-Belfast.

It was 40-odd fo the bus when I looked at it last year.

Rayanair was a funny schedule no? Or have they improved the service? Last time, I could have got there & back in two days, or had to stay the best part of a week if I wanted only a day longer.

The combined train/ferry ticket was only slightly dearer (55 OTOH) & proably more worthwile for time & comfort. The train companies do combined rates from all over the UK, so do not try to book it through the normal rail portal as you will get a stupid rate, plus ferry. Website was a fucker to find - I'll away & look again.

Ryanair's the best way, I've done it a few times to Dublin now. If long queues and a lack of significant leg space make you violent, it's best avoided, but for what it is, it's cheap and quick.

Dublin city centre is one of the best places ever ever ever. The open top bus tours are good, I'd normally hate touristy stuff but Dublin makes it better somehow.

Oh yeah, <insert knob joke>