aberdeen-music

Holidays

Chris

Kenya. Mombassa. Most resorts there are fantastic. I had a brilliant holiday there.

Or Kuala Lumpur.

Or New Zealand.

Paris is nice.

Australia, as well.

I had great times in all of the above.

After looking at various options I think we're going with renting a small villa in the south of Italy for a week. To get a decent hotel anywhere was going to be more than I was looking to spend and I didn't fancy staying somewhere rubbish (been in a few ropey B&Bs recently, alright for a few days but want somewhere good for a week). This actually works out a lot cheaper per person (inc flights) for a better standard of accomodation, albeit self catering.

Anyone done this before? Anything I should watch out for? The one we're looking at is in the middle of nowhere so I'll need to hire a car, is driving in Italy a monumentally stupid idea?

Berlin in a week or so then New York in Feb. Planning Vegas for a week in July then got a stagger in Tallinn September.

Its a great time to pick up a deal, Berlin flights cost me 50pp and got the Hilton right in the centre for 78 a night. 128pp for two nights in a 5 star hotel & flights ain't bad!

Got a good deal for NYC as well.

ooh who was your flights thru??

After looking at various options I think we're going with renting a small villa in the south of Italy for a week. To get a decent hotel anywhere was going to be more than I was looking to spend and I didn't fancy staying somewhere rubbish (been in a few ropey B&Bs recently, alright for a few days but want somewhere good for a week). This actually works out a lot cheaper per person (inc flights) for a better standard of accomodation, albeit self catering.

Anyone done this before? Anything I should watch out for? The one we're looking at is in the middle of nowhere so I'll need to hire a car, is driving in Italy a monumentally stupid idea?

Think this is what im doing with my girlfriend and her family :)Off to Corfu. She's been before and loved it. Her parents went to italy a few months ago, said it was really expensive there (or at least where they were.)

In the cities, yes. In the middle of nowhere you should be fine. Bare in mind that most Italian's seem to not give a turd about their cars.

The only thing I'd watch out for with renting a villa is that it really depends on the standards of the owner. You can sometimes end up with a place that needs a bit of a clean. I wouldn't expect anything that couldn't be fixed by whizzing round with a mop though. Self catered could be amazing in Italy, they're heavily into their local and in particular "fresh" produce. Plus the food they rustle up in street corner cafes is to die for.

I love Italy. It's my favourite holiday destination by a country mile.

I've never been to Italy but have been wanting to go for ages, but the package deals are always pretty pricey. The only city driving we should be doing is from and to the airport in Bari, but having never driven abroad before I imagine this is the bit that will worry me the most.

Do you speak any Italian? I'd advise that you learn a little.

A lifetime of watching mafia films and reading Mario Puzo books has given me good knowledge of some Italian terminology, none of which is useful on holiday.

I'll be picking up a phrase book and using the excellent BBC languages website before I go. To be honest though whenever I've been abroad before all I've really needed to say is really basic things like hello, thank you, how much and what is it.

HAHA! I went to Italy early last summer and had one of the best holidays ever. Stayed in an Italian Castle. It was the business. The driving though was some of the scariest I have ever seen. There is only one rule: You basically drive your way until someone is daring enough to get in your way. It was crazy. Thankfully it was my girlfriend who took care of driving duties but I was no less scared in the passenger seat.

Beautiful country though. Wherabouts are you thinking (ie how far south)? Pompeii and Paestum are two esential visits. Yes, yes, it's a lot of old stuff but Pompeii is like nothing else I have ever seen (Roman graffiti!) and Paestum is very idyllic in a way. It's never really overrun with tourists either unlike Pompeii.

Naples....I wasn't so keen on Naples but it is the birthplace of the magherita pizza and it was unreal how good it was. The secret it seems is in the fresh sauce! We got stuck visiting at a bad time as the town council was riddled with money laundering and fraud cases so there was no money and the refuse collection services had been on strike for weeks. There was rubbish EVERYWHERE.

Guest Jake Wifebeater

No holiday plans as such for the year, but you never know what'll come up. There's a wee UK tour w/the Wifebeater boys in April, but that doesn't really count as a holiday. More a load of driving and trying not to be irritated by people...

Guest treader.

Gonna try my hardest. I'm also taking in Seattle and San Francisco on my journey so money may be tight and I may not be able to blow $474,000 dollars on a ticket.

Did you see the Laker game the other night!? I couldn't believe the hornets won tbh.

Gonna try my hardest. I'm also taking in Seattle and San Francisco on my journey so money may be tight and I may not be able to blow $474,000 dollars on a ticket.

Did you see the Laker game the other night!? I couldn't believe the hornets won tbh.

Was that when David West scored 40? If so yes. Him and CP3 basically held it together for the hornets, Peja has been invisible so far this year.