aberdeen-music

Duran Duran - Van Halen - Iron Maiden A-HA Roxy Music Moody Blues Sabbath Chic Floyd

Dick Ed

Besides others, Springsteen, Robert Palmer, Missing Persons, Pantera, Kiss, Status Quo, Lizzy, Blind Guardian, stoner/doom, 70s prog, John Coltrane, The Police.

Major influences are the ones in the thread title.

Looking to see if there's like minded people, fat chance I would think.

I'm not interested in a cover band. And I think Oasis and indie music along with generic Acdc/Judas Priest style metal bands, as well as so called progressive metal, to say nothing of modern radio rock should all be thrown in a bottomless pit.

Besides others, Springsteen, Robert Palmer, Missing Persons, Pantera, Kiss, Status Quo, Lizzy, Blind Guardian, stoner/doom, 70s prog, John Coltrane, The Police.

Major influences are the ones in the thread title.

Looking to see if there's like minded people, fat chance I would think.

I'm not interested in a cover band. And I think Oasis and indie music along with generic Acdc/Judas Priest style metal bands, as well as so called progressive metal, to say nothing of modern radio rock should all be thrown in a bottomless pit.

Good luck in your quest :headbang:

ah...;)

The problem is a lot of people might listen to a couple of the same bands but they get something way different out of it. Like Duran, to most people they're an 80s pop band. To me, they're the most important rock band since ... Van Halen three years earlier.

I'm not much of a musician. Unfortunately I need like minded folk to get motivated. Therefore, no material.

Agree about Duran Duran, JT is one of my favourite bassists as well. Also think The Police were as vital.

Anyway if you find some others give me a shout :up:

JT is the very main reason I bought a bass. I only said, 'Bought'. ;)

I agree about the Police. They're a core fave for me, it's just that Chic fit in into the word space more.

What other stuff do you like? And this is almost as important, what can't you stand?:up:

A few more details if anyone's reading.

I like the more noodling era of Floyd, post Barrett - Animals era.

Maiden - More of a Dianno and Blaze era fan.

Halen - Roth almost entirely

I'd also add old school thrash (Slayer, Testament) alongside the melodic Blind Guardian.

I'm also totally sick of seeing Beatles/Zep gracing magazine covers and hearing about the 'importance' of punk music and Nirvana. Can't stand the UK music press.

A few more details if anyone's reading.

I like the more noodling era of Floyd, post Barrett - Animals era.

Maiden - More of a Dianno and Blaze era fan.

Halen - Roth almost entirely

I'd also add old school thrash (Slayer, Testament) alongside the melodic Blind Guardian.

I'm also totally sick of seeing Beatles/Zep gracing magazine covers and hearing about the 'importance' of punk music and Nirvana. Can't stand the UK music press.

I like alot of the artists you mention, but can you in all honesty say that punk music and Nirvana were not important? I dont like the music Oasis make but i know they were a hugely important band. I suppose it's all about opinions.

I like alot of the artists you mention, but can you in all honesty say that punk music and Nirvana were not important? I dont like the music Oasis make but i know they were a hugely important band. I suppose it's all about opinions.

Here's how I see it. The punk phenomenon was what it was because it pitted the punk bands against the so called establishment. They did the same with grunge. But how do they journalists still have an arguement when those very punk musicians liked many of those 'bloated' bands? Johnny Rotten was a Floyd fan and I've heard from someone who chatted with him outside a Duran Duran concert, he admitted to liking them. Captain Sensible or someone else from the Damned was on the Amazon.com artists section talking of how he liked the first King Crimson album and elsewhere he said he liked the Moody Blues. They called punk 'back to basics' but if you had that kind of approach what innovation would you ever have? I'm glad that punk existed, it's something else to listen to, but they had this attitude where they would have gladly done away with everything that had been achieved from Zappa, Beatles etc... a three chord Ramones or Chuck Berry song can only hold my interest for ... actually it doesn't 'interest' me much. I like melody and evidence of song writing, not fuzz guitars played within a 3 minute song span, I think punk was a music journalist phenomenon, they constantly have to drum up its impoitance for it to survive, because the music doesn't sell itself. Ironically these are the pretentious people, because they have to come up with the 'less is more' maxim all the time. Anytime people devote something to their craft, without trying to turn it into some kind of philosophy (punk, U2, REM, Radiohead) they say it's either pretentious (prog rock) or shallow (Duran Duran, Van Halen). And if punk blew away everything ... look at the bands that were the anti-thesis of punk, that started in 78: Van Halen, Dire Straits, Police, Kate Bush. Floyd were yet to release the Wall. Disco was huge.

The same thing happened with grunge. They were trying to whitewash history as it happened. Nirvana were mainstream right? Well then let's judge them by mainstream standards. It was Pearl Jam that swept all the awards back at the 91 Grammy's and they were played a LOT more than Nirvana on Mtv, But now they would have you believe Kurt is the biggest thing of the 90s just like REM is now somehow the poster band of the 80s. I clearly remember that GN'R and Metallica absolutely dominated the airwaves along with PJ, so exactly how was grunge dominant then? Pearl Jam wasn't grunge. We always hear how grunge killed hair metal? But who were the other big bands from then? Def Leppard were HUGE, No.1's, airplay etc.. and so was Bon Jovi. Van Halen had a No.1 album on the billboards in 1995; I thought hair metal was dead? If Poison was a joke (they are) how come Every Rose is still a well known number? Motley Crue went to the top five in 1997.The way I remember it, the legend of Nirvana just exploded after Kurt killed himself. The constant behind the music specials made everyone think there was nothing in the 80s till kurt came alone and set it right and went wrong when he died. Well hair metal was around before Kurt and in some ways outlived him - it was only the record company fickleness that killed them. But not entirely, because the fanbase is still around. We just don't have any good albums to buy. Another thing. Rock didn't need grunge to remedy things. Groups like Skid Row and Motley Crue were already going in a different direction, towards more heaviness. Pantera were topping the charts without comprising themselves. All this was done without grunge, only it was ignored by the media. So Nirvana 'achieved' very little,

These are just tales spun by the media because it sounds romantic, ooh punk blew away that and grunge did this. And America deposed Saddam and the Iraqi's cried with joy. :rolleyes:I wasn't around for punk but I know for myself that things were not as its portrayed.

Ok first of all, I agree with you that pearl jam are, and always were the much better band... However, i disagree with you on a lot of points. I'm not a big punk fan, mainly for some of the reasons you listed there, but the way i see it, punk came around as a way to point out to people that music was for everyone, not just those gifted enough to be able to fling out virtuoso solos infront of thousands of screaming fans. I dont like the whole "bring down the system" attitude, because I've met a lot of punks and not one of them knows the first thing about politics. But on a musical basis, it showed the world that everything doesnt have to be about big bands, big hair, big stages, expencive outfits and expencive guitars. It was a bunch of people that grabbed a squire (or the likes) and started playing whatever they could and had a bloody good time. Really thats all its about. If punks want to crunch out some power chords in a basement, let them! If burly guys want to growl and shred to their hearts content, let them! If happy guys and girls want to sing about love while a synth plays a daft wee tune in the background, let them!

I dont like any punk bands. But it's still a massively important genre because it spawned a lot of the music i do like. Wther you personally like the genres or not, they have had a massive influence on todays music.

So sh.

x

Ok first of all, I agree with you that pearl jam are, and always were the much better band... However, i disagree with you on a lot of points. I'm not a big punk fan, mainly for some of the reasons you listed there, but the way i see it, punk came around as a way to point out to people that music was for everyone, not just those gifted enough to be able to fling out virtuoso solos infront of thousands of screaming fans. I dont like the whole "bring down the system" attitude, because I've met a lot of punks and not one of them knows the first thing about politics. But on a musical basis, it showed the world that everything doesnt have to be about big bands, big hair, big stages, expencive outfits and expencive guitars. It was a bunch of people that grabbed a squire (or the likes) and started playing whatever they could and had a bloody good time. Really thats all its about. If punks want to crunch out some power chords in a basement, let them! If burly guys want to growl and shred to their hearts content, let them! If happy guys and girls want to sing about love while a synth plays a daft wee tune in the background, let them!

I dont like any punk bands. But it's still a massively important genre because it spawned a lot of the music i do like. Wther you personally like the genres or not, they have had a massive influence on todays music.

So sh.

x

Don't ssh me, noob.

Yes, let them! Let them do it in their basement, I fully support that. The bands punk were against were not millionnaires playing expensive guitars. But they probably did have to go beyond a mistuned guitar in order to play something meaningful. There was much going on with prog and other music besides virtuoso solos. Most of the bands that are mentioned were not self-indulgent, just well played. Music isn't just for anyone who didn't take the time to learn their instrument. Go have a good time but don't ask for a big label contract.

I'm not interested in the polititcs or 'non' politics of music. I just want to listen to music i like and play music i like, but i am interested in why my influences sound the way they do and what turned them on. We could argue all day about who were the better musicians, who got more airplay, if a band became "famous" due to the death of their singer etc.

If you like something i don't i'm not gonna judge you on it. Wouldn't it be boring if music was made for all the "right" reasons? I mean bands like RATM were very politically motivated, which doesn't interest me...BUT i love their music. is that wrong? And i love songs with a melody, but equally i love a song that has none Morbid Angel, Deicide, Meshuggah etc.

I just love music.:up:

Guest davetherave

Music, politics, opinions, etc

Music discussions and opinions always make good reading, but personally I prefer playing music than talking about it. To quote Frank Zappa..

" Shut up and play yer guitars"

:up:

;)

Music discussions and opinions always make good reading, but personally I prefer playing music than talking about it. To quote Frank Zappa..

" Shut up and play yer guitars"

:up:

;)

True. I was more or less asked for mine though.

Now back to the topic. Damn, it sure is hard to find people unless you like ACDC, Oasis or Zep.

Damn, it sure is hard to find people unless you like ACDC, Oasis or Zep.

Its hard to find members no matter what for some reason. I posted the other day basically saying "I play guitar and sing and I'll play or sing just about anything." and got 1 reply...

hmm...

x

Damn, it sure is hard to find people unless you like ACDC, Oasis or Zep.

you know by posting things like this probably makes people more apprehensive in contacting/working with you

you make it sound like listening to AC/DC, Led Zeppelin and Oasis is a bad thing, or if your a person that listens to such music is below your superior level.