aberdeen-music

Volume Boxes

Huw

As far as I can see, it will decrease the gain of your pre amp signal going into your poweramp, allowing you to drive the pre amp valves harder without them having to be so loud. The effects loop is usually after your pre amp valves but before your power amp valves.

It may or may not be what you want. You may be better off getting an attenuator such as Marshall Power Break which would allow you to overdrive your power amp valves as well without having it as loud.

First a bit of pedantry: they're both attenuators, as is your gain and master volume. Amps are fixed-gain devices.

Seems to me that all your getting for your money there is another master volume to slip in before your master volume. If you want more pre-amp drive turn up your gain and turn down your master. If you have problems with the master because it's down near 1-2 and you don't have enough control over it the correct solution would be to downsize your amp.

I suppose if you played in a metal band AND a jazz band and didn't want to buy a second amp, or you wanted a temporary stopgap while you investigate smaller amps, it might be useful.

A trip to Maplins, some basic tools and half an hours work would get you the same thing though.

First a bit of pedantry: they're both attenuators, as is your gain and master volume. Amps are fixed-gain devices.

Seems to me that all your getting for your money there is another master volume to slip in before your master volume. If you want more pre-amp drive turn up your gain and turn down your master. If you have problems with the master because it's down near 1-2 and you don't have enough control over it the correct solution would be to downsize your amp.

I suppose if you played in a metal band AND a jazz band and didn't want to buy a second amp, or you wanted a temporary stopgap while you investigate smaller amps, it might be useful.

A trip to Maplins, some basic tools and half an hours work would get you the same thing though.

probably would be good for bedroom playing then... just to get more out of that 1-2 mastervolume stage?