aberdeen-music

Distortion pedals

Kaizen

Cheers for all the suggestions. Was gonna buy the spider 3 off Paul for 100. In all honesty, I'm struggling to afford that, never mind more than double the price for a low range tube amp then have to buy a pedal on top of that. I'm not stupid, and i know you get what you pay for n all, but is there any slightly more budget solutions?

Ta,

x

What guitar(s) will you be using?

Do they have their stock pickups? If not then what pickups are being used?

What amp will you be running this pedal you get through?

Give me an example of a band/track that satisfies your definition of a thick and chunky rhythm sound.

Without a bit more insight, my possible recommendations will be nothing more than completely subjective. That isn't much use ;)

What guitar(s) will you be using?

Do they have their stock pickups? If not then what pickups are being used?

What amp will you be running this pedal you get through?

Give me an example of a band/track that satisfies your definition of a thick and chunky rhythm sound.

Without a bit more insight, my possible recommendations will be nothing more than completely subjective. That isn't much use ;)

speaking of pick-ups, i have an urge to change over pick-ups in a les paul i have.

anyone got any views on pick-ups? i was thinking about bare knuckle as i heard they are good. only thing about pick-ups is you cant exactly try before you buy.

speaking of pick-ups, i have an urge to change over pick-ups in a les paul i have.

anyone got any views on pick-ups? i was thinking about bare knuckle as i heard they are good. only thing about pick-ups is you cant exactly try before you buy.

I have a Bare Knuckle Warpig in my Dean (mahogany body, mahogany neck, rosewood board). It's tuned down to BEADGC which may not be the most convenient. You're more than welcome to try it though :)

It's got a Floyd too though ;)

james, how does the ml handle the lower tuning compared to other guitars you've dropped tuned?

and also kaizen won't be buying th line 6 off me as someone else bought it.

It copes fine man :)

It's mainly about setting it up right. And I have :p:laughing:

I took a wee bit (not just with this tuning, but with the guitar generally) to get back into 24.75" scale as my ESPs are both 25.5", but it feels great and holds the tuning spot on :)

Sounds thick as all hell, nothing like my Hanny or Hammett whatsoever! :up:

Umm... Right now I'm using a Schechter omen 6 with stock pickups. No idea what amp now... Im definately needing a new one anyway, and Paul has sold his to a mate so now im thinking, i might just wait ages and get a tube one. Could take about a million and a half years though...

x

yeah i noticed shorter scales seem to handle lower tunings better

surprisingly my spear with the floyd & 25.5 inch scale is tuned CFA#D#GC manages to stay solid

i just hate restriction the guitar to one tuning

Longer scales hold drop tuning better ;)

I just had to dick about with the Dean to get it playing as well as my KH did (used to be in that tuning). :)

Kaizen - I'll look into it for ya man. Got any examples of what satisfies the sound you want so I can try think what would get near it? :)

ummm.... kinda... My Minds Weapon chuggyness would be nice =P (I do realise im not going to actually get this sound without a blackmachine and a diezel... but you know what i mean =P) Its really for that kinda metally heaviness kinda stuff (a tad vague... but you know what i mean! I'm not playing the Beatles =D).

Cheers!

x

Valve Kings are amongst the very low end of the range in terms of all valve heads. They are okay, but not much character or definition. Quite a bland output, but it will be thick and loud enough for gigging, and you can colour the tone with an OD pedal, or an EQ. The Laney you linked is the middle ground between non-gig worthy solid states like the Line 6 and an all-valve head. The Preamp is driven by one preamp valve which gives you a bit more of an authentic crunch than a Solidstate amp will give you, but they still lack the thickness and headroom you'd require for gigging.

Out of the two though, if you can afford the Valve King, go for that. There's a single channel Peavey which I can't remember the name of. It looks dog ugly, but is along the lines of JCM800 but at a budget price. Probably around the same price as the Valve King, but sounds alot better. Less versatile though, I'd imagine.

Ebay is a good bet though. Buying second hand will always get you something better for less. Try not to buy band new, unless it's like a Matamp or something

Out of the two though, if you can afford the Valve King, go for that. There's a single channel Peavey which I can't remember the name of. It looks dog ugly, but is along the lines of JCM800 but at a budget price. Probably around the same price as the Valve King, but sounds alot better. Less versatile though, I'd imagine.

i think it's a peavey windsor is it not? I think its got some kind of off white/cream non tolex thing going going on that looks absolutely abysmal (spelchek?). I don't know though, both the amps are based on the same circuitry and that i believe, and the Valve King only has tweo channels which won't drain the tone that much i wouldn't think. I've heard it's exceptionally good quality for the money you pay.

ummm.... kinda... My Minds Weapon chuggyness would be nice =P (I do realise im not going to actually get this sound without a blackmachine and a diezel... but you know what i mean =P) Its really for that kinda metally heaviness kinda stuff (a tad vague... but you know what i mean! I'm not playing the Beatles =D).

Cheers!

x

actually, peavey 6505 with a ibanez tubescreamer in front of it.

Andy Sneap tone in a nutshell.

i think it's a peavey windsor is it not? I think its got some kind of off white/cream non tolex thing going going on that looks absolutely abysmal (spelchek?). I don't know though, both the amps are based on the same circuitry and that i believe, and the Valve King only has tweo channels which won't drain the tone that much i wouldn't think. I've heard it's exceptionally good quality for the money you pay.

Windsor! That's the chap. A great piece of kit, but as you say, absolutely horrible looking. I used one through an orange cab (a horrible mismatch of colours) and it sounded almost too good. The only valve king I've used is a VK combo, and it sounded dull. Really dull. The clean tone was very dark and blunt and the drive was either metal or nothing. Sounded weak at low gain settings.

The head might sound alot better through a decent cab. Might have been guff speakers in the combo... I guess I'll never know!

A great piece of kit, but as you say, absolutely horrible looking. I used one through an orange cab (a horrible mismatch of colours) and it sounded almost too good.

vega on these boards has a purple vintage modern head and an orange cab... BOKE!

sounds mint though.

Yeah i read a few reviews on the windsor and the ValveKing. Apparently you struggle to to get anything close to metal out of the windsor. they talk a lot about "classic rock sound" which isnt really what I'm after. Reviews on the VK seem to make it sound a bit more like my kinda amp. Had a look on youtube for people doing sound tests etc on them. The VK seems to be able to get a fair amount of crunch out and, while i do agree the clean channel doesent have a whole lot of character, Its not really priority. The windsor really seems to lack kick. Just seems like a much less quality amp. Then again, thats youtube... Not exactly designed as a way to compare tone... I'll head down to the local music shop. I believe they have a valveking in so i'll give it a bash down there.

Ta again for all the help.

x

Yeah i read a few reviews on the windsor and the ValveKing. Apparently you struggle to to get anything close to metal out of the windsor. they talk a lot about "classic rock sound" which isnt really what I'm after. Reviews on the VK seem to make it sound a bit more like my kinda amp. Had a look on youtube for people doing sound tests etc on them. The VK seems to be able to get a fair amount of crunch out and, while i do agree the clean channel doesent have a whole lot of character, Its not really priority. The windsor really seems to lack kick. Just seems like a much less quality amp. Then again, thats youtube... Not exactly designed as a way to compare tone... I'll head down to the local music shop. I believe they have a valveking in so i'll give it a bash down there.

Ta again for all the help.

x

you will be able to keep the windsor after you grow out of metal though... which is pretty likely. that's the only thing you should think about. if you can try one out just crank the gain and see how it sounds for chugga chugaa wee.

actually, peavey 6505 with a ibanez tubescreamer in front of it.

Andy Sneap tone in a nutshell.

Bingo!

:)

Blackmachine and Diezel really aren't necessary...

STEP 1: Half decent guitar with as good pickups as possible. (EMGs are kinda standard)

Amp-wise, a Peavey 6505 if you can afford it. Valveking would suffice and is pretty much an ok cheaper version.

STEP 2: Tubescreamer pedal, although these can be quite pricey. (60 on ebay if you're lucky)

STEP 3: Decent cab. Preferably with celestion vintage 30 speakers.

It's still expensive though.

Guitar = 500 + 200 for EMGs and fitting.

6505 = 700

Tubescreamer = 50-100

Cab = 400+

you will be able to keep the windsor after you grow out of metal though... which is pretty likely. that's the only thing you should think about. if you can try one out just crank the gain and see how it sounds for chugga chugaa wee.

I'll give it a bash if i can find one somewhere. However, if the VK sounds considerably better for what i'm looking for, I'd rather go with that then, if i grow out of metal at a later date, sell it and buy something that more suits my taste. Granted its more expencive than buying a nice wee "sit on the fence" amp, but theres no point in getting half the sound i want incase i should change my mind in a couple of years. If I'm spending that kind of money (this is a lot to me by the way =P) then i at least want it to do what im buying it for.

x