aberdeen-music

Shoegaze compilation - 'Take Me On The Wildest Spree'

What Scene?

Just thought I'd post up a wee note about this new shoegaze compilation called 'Take Me On The Wildest Spree' which was released in Australia at the tail end of November.

I picked up a free magazine in Perth which had an interview with Tom Elliot, an MD of an investment company in Melbourne, who compiled the CD. Basically, he went to Oxford Uni during the early 90s and witnessed the movement at close-hand, watching the likes of Ride, My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive etc. Anyway, I was intrigued by this and wrote to him, and basically he does an on/off shoegaze radio show on independent Melbourne radio and was approached by a record company to compile a CD of 'newgaze' - basically current bands influenced by the genre.

The CD's really good, featuring 16 bands from all over - New York, Melbourne, Sweden, UK etc. I had a check on amazon and you should be able to get it, if interested. I strongly recommend it if you're into any of the aforementioned bands, or the likes of The Jesus & Mary Chain etc etc.

Amazon.com: Take Me on the Wildest Spree: Take Me on the Wildest Spree: Music

That is all!

Cheers

Just thought I'd post up a wee note about this new shoegaze compilation called 'Take Me On The Wildest Spree' which was released in Australia at the tail end of November.

I picked up a free magazine in Perth which had an interview with Tom Elliot, an MD of an investment company in Melbourne, who compiled the CD. Basically, he went to Oxford Uni during the early 90s and witnessed the movement at close-hand, watching the likes of Ride, My Bloody Valentine, Slowdive etc. Anyway, I was intrigued by this and wrote to him, and basically he does an on/off shoegaze radio show on independent Melbourne radio and was approached by a record company to compile a CD of 'newgaze' - basically current bands influenced by the genre.

The CD's really good, featuring 16 bands from all over - New York, Melbourne, Sweden, UK etc. I had a check on amazon and you should be able to get it, if interested. I strongly recommend it if you're into any of the aforementioned bands, or the likes of The Jesus & Mary Chain etc etc.

Amazon.com: Take Me on the Wildest Spree: Take Me on the Wildest Spree: Music

That is all!

Cheers

funnily enough, I bought the 2cd re-issue of Slowdive's "Slouvaki" the other week!

Was tempted with the Swervedriver re-issues as well.

funnily enough, I bought the 2cd re-issue of Slowdive's "Slouvaki" the other week!

Was tempted with the Swervedriver re-issues as well.

Gave 'Raise' a spin the other week, still stands up well, 'Son of Mustang Ford' is still a hell of a tune....may pick up the other albums now they are out again, never got round to getting them.

Anyone remember Moose? They had a great song called 'Suzanne' that I still have on 12" but I seem to recall they went a bit crap....

I don't remember Moose when they were out because I was knee-high to a grasshopper, but I do have a Moose track on another shoegaze compilation 'Like A Daydream: A Shoegazing Guide'. That's another cracking record.

Some of Slowdive's stuff is just amazing to me - '40 Days', 'Alison', 'When The Sun Hits', 'Slowdive', 'Catch The Breeze', 'Machine Gun' - all absolute gems of tunes.

I've got a Swervedriver anthology double album - to be honest I've never really got into it. Even 'Mustang' for some reason has never really done it. Strange!

My Bloody Valentine's 'When You Sleep' is another tune I've had on heaps recently!

There's a few absolute cracking bands on this compilation. Check out Echodrone, Soundpool, Ceremony and Mist & Sea.