aberdeen-music

Druggies are dying

Scootray

I honestly couldn't believe what I just read.

Many many many-if not the majority-of heroin addicts are born into poverty, or a broken home, or even an abusive household, with no cetifiable role models. The only kind of prolonged "good feelings" they're remotely exposed to are via drugs, and heroin being an addictive substance, they get addicted.

People can be a waste of space. Just wasters. But I think it's also worthwhile to remember many of these addicts aren't bad people but have just had a fucking shite life. (I'm drawing from my own personal experiences here)

"Yeah, you're less lucky than me. You deserve to have a flesh eating virus"

Christ.

Folk can be born into broken homes and still turn out to be genuinely nice people. It's all about choice. Unless of course their mothers were injecting whilst pregnant.

I'm not saying that. I'm saying it can easily go either way depending on a few choices you make at a very young age.

Some people are so desperately unhappy they'll do anything to block it out.

Agree with Nefarious here. It's a bit glib to say "No-one cares if they get a horrible disease and die". Hopefully nobody really means that.

There are many many reasons why people become addicted, doesn't necessarily mean they're worthless scum who they deserve everything they get. There are far worse people out there than junkies.

• Upvote 1

A lot of these 'junkies' are genuinely nice people who have made the wrong decisions in life. They need help getting clean but the most helpful person to them is themselves. You have to want to quit to be able to quit 100%

And when your seeing unicorns or whatever it is people on heroin see, you don't care whats on the needle just whats in it.

Learned that from a former 'junkie'

Guest Giles Walker

Ha ha i love you guys, i can never tell if you really are mostly rightwing maniacs or just dry comedy genius's.

I hope the latter but fear the former.

btw

Muscle popping and skin popping?!?

Could they make that sound any less appetising?

Have to say, this is a pretty sick thread. Of course everyone's entitled to their opinions, but c'mon!!!

At the end of the day, these people are somebody's child, and yes, they have probably wreaked havoc amongst those around them for the chaotic life choices that they have made. But to show a complete disregard to it is pretty dark.

I've seen at close hand the complete destruction and devastation that heroin can cause. It would be very interesting for you to meet a couple I know that have lost both their kids to drugs.

It would be very interesting for you to chat to a couple, from a good area, who's lives have been torn apart, and wake up every day knowing that they'll never see their kids again.

Think again.......

If you're moronic enough to have ever taken the stuff in the first place then you're probably moronic enough to keep taking it despite the flesh eating virus (and numerous other huge dangers).

My heart aches it really does.

Yes, like the girl with the neglectful, alcoholic mother who was sexually abused by her father, thrown out onto the streets at 15, preyed on by a pimp who shaped her into a heroin addicted hooker because she had nobody else to turn to. What a fucking moron. Hope she dies.

Jesus Christ.

Okay, my comments have perhaps been taken slightly in the wrong light (which is pretty fair, considering the way I wrote it).

My feelings on the subject are a little bit less straight forward that I maybe initially implied. My general feelings towards drugs where you *know* before you even touch them that they will have you completely hooked, they take over your life and most probably destroy any relationships you have with anyone who also isn't using is that you should never touch them.

I understand there are extreme examples (see above) and it's in these cases where I think society has failed these individuals. If their family is abusing them they shouldn't be left to live out that hell on their own. I'm being fairly general here but the social support system in our country - especially considering how huge the problem is - is fairly shit. My feelings concerning these individuals (who are the minority) are a bit different.

The other side of the coin is where people fall into it through peer pressure (usually through living in poverty, perhaps in an area where there is an overwhelming drug problem). As far as I'm concerned they still have a choice - and this is more or less where my comments were aimed. The choice may be fucking difficult, but it's still there. At the end of the day, there are people out there who simply choose to use. I've seen it myself kids from decent areas with loving families who throw their lives away to shit. My sympathy in those cases is reserved for their families.

How do you differentiate as to the ones you think shouldn't be left to "live out that hell on their own" to the ones you think deserve to die of a flesh eating disease? Is it purely down to their social background? Would you only help people after they prove how horrendous their lives have been?

Certainly people "choose to use" in some instances but it hardly means they deserve to die horribly.

Here's a list from wikipedia of people some of think deserve (or deserved) to die from flesh eating bacteria. If you own records, books or films by them then maybe you should just throw them in the bucket right now -

Beat Generation author William S. Burroughs wrote about his experiences with heroin in numerous books, starting with the 1953 semi-autobiographical Junkie (aka Junky).

The Basketball Diaries is a 1978 book written by American author and musician Jim Carroll. It is an edited collection of the diaries he kept between the ages of twelve and sixteen. Set in New York City, they detail his daily life, sexual experiences, high school basketball career, Cold War paranoia, the counterculture movement, and, especially, his addiction to heroin, which began when he was 13. The book was made into a film under the same name in 1995 starring Leonardo DiCaprio.

Irvine Welsh's 1993 novel Trainspotting which was later made into a feature film under the same name explores the turbulent lives of an eccentric group of heroin users.

A 2007 book entitled The Heroin Diaries by author and musician Nikki Sixx from Mtley Cre and Sixx:A.M. chronicles his heroin addiction in his diary between the years 1986-1987, as well as his chronic extreme hedonism, attitudes, drug use and his inevitable route to dying and coming back to life.

Kurt Cobain of Nirvana was heavily addicted to heroin. His autopsy showed that he had 3 times the lethal dosage of heroin and other substances before he died.

Megadeth frontman Dave Mustaine is known for his past heroin drug abuse. He usually used speedballs, a mix between heroin and cocaine. He stopped the use of heroin after a talk he had with Alice Cooper while on tour. Afterward he went to rehabilitation 14 times.

Alice in Chains frontman Layne Staley was also a well published heroin addict, right up to his death by overdose in April 2002. He wrote countless songs about his drug addiction including "God Smack", "Junkhead", and "Hate to Feel". These songs showed the bleak and helpless atmosphere of a drug addiction. He was also addicted to cocaine and used LSD and marijuana.

The well-known jazz artist Miles Davis was a heroin addict from about 1950 to 1954.

John Lennon wrote the song "Cold Turkey" in 1969 about his and Yoko Ono's attempts to get off the drug.

Another 1969 song, David Bowie's first single "Space Oddity," was seemingly about his experiences with heroin, as his 1980 single "Ashes to Ashes" included the lines that refer to Major Tom as "... a junkie/strung out on heaven's high/hitting an all-time low."[49]

The Rolling Stones' 1973 song "Coming Down Again" was written by Keith Richards about his experiences with heroin, as was "Before They Make Me Run." Mick Jagger wrote the song "Monkey Man," and with Marianne Faithfull wrote "Sister Morphine". The band's 1971 album Sticky Fingers featured a drug reference in every track.

A number of songs by the Velvet Underground refer to heroin, including "I'm Waiting For The Man" and the aptly-named "Heroin". Some critics declared the band were glorifying the use of drugs-mainly heroin.

The Stranglers' single "Golden Brown", from the late 1970s, referred to a batch of brown heroin from Afghanistan that arrived in the UK around that time. Another UK band, The Only Ones released a one hit wonder, "Another Girl, Another Planet", in which every single line could be interpreted as a reference to a girl or heroin."[49]

Dee Dee Ramone (Nee Douglas Colvin) of the US punk band The Ramones used the drug and wrote the song "Chinese Rocks", though the rest of the band initially rejected the song as being too blatantly about drug use. The Heartbreakers performed the first and more famous version of the song.

The songs "Mr. Brownstone" and "Bad Obsession" by Guns N' Roses also deal with heroin.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers have numerous drug references in their music, most famously "Under the Bridge", a song about Anthony Kiedis's experiences in the chicano-run areas of Los Angeles where he used to score. "Knock Me Down" was another Red Hot Chili Peppers song about heroin, this time about the band's first guitarist Hillel Slovak who died after overdosing on a mix of cocaine and heroin.

The Red Hot Chili Peppers have numerous drug references in their music, most famously "Under the Bridge", a song about Anthony Kiedis's experiences in the chicano-run areas of Los Angeles where he used to score. "Knock Me Down" was another Red Hot Chili Peppers song about heroin, this time about the band's first guitarist Hillel Slovak who died after overdosing on a mix of cocaine and heroin.

Ville Valo, frontman of Finnish rock band HIM, wrote "Killing Loneliness" about Brandon Novak's addiction to heroin. In an interview Valo stated that when he asked Novak why he used the drug, Novak replied "It was my way of 'Killing Loneliness'"

Suede recorded many songs about heroin, and drug culture in general. They have two different songs, Heroine (from Dog Man Star) and Heroin (b-side to the Attitude single), which refer to lead singer Brett Anderson's addiction to the drug.

Many songs by singer song writer Elliott Smith such as "A Fond Farewell", and "King's Crossing" refer to his addiction with heroin.

Industrial metal band Ministry's track Just One Fix deals with Al Jourgensen's heroin use.

There basically isn't any way to differentiate. Which is why the people who need help are so difficult to identify.

I'd say that anyone with an addiction like this requires help. Whether they accept this help is the hard part.

I suppose my argument was simply on a moral level. Those who have done it to themselves and those who feel they have no choice.

People may choose to take heroin but no one chooses to be an addict.

Do you drink? I'm sure you don't expect to become an alcoholic or have cirrosis of the liver. Might happen though.

Do you drive above the speed limit? I'm sure you don't expect to get caught doing this & fined or to cause an accident. Might happen though.

Despite perhaps the bad way I phrased my initial post... the bottom line is that if someone is addicted, I doubt they'll care if there is a chance of them getting the virus... their main concern will be if they can get the drug or not.

Precisely. That's addiction for you.

My feelings on the subject are a little bit less straight forward that I maybe initially implied. My general feelings towards drugs where you *know* before you even touch them that they will have you completely hooked, they take over your life and most probably destroy any relationships you have with anyone who also isn't using is that you should never touch them.

Yeah, I agree. Because it's not like I've ever made one mistake or a seriously bad decision in my entire life either :rolleyes:

And all that stuff about rehabilitation, forgiveness, support and 2nd chances - all a much of tree hugging hippy crap if you ask me. Lets have flogging for petty offenders, hangings for major ones, and flesh eating viruses for junkies... Nice eh?

On a serious note, I don't know what it is but I'm beginning to think our society has become completely fucked up and people don't really have much empathy for each other any more. As for heroin addicts, I say copy the Swiss. Years ago I knew a recovering drug addict and I asked him why he did it in the first place, his answer was simply that "it was a mistake". We all make mistakes, it's just the consequences that are different.

Alcohol can do just as much damage as heroin or any other illegal drug for that matter.

I can't be bothered to type a big long paragraph on my views on this, especially at 5pm on New Year's Eve.

I was rather annoyed when I read this thread last night and it was all 'kill the junkie' style... so least there's been some counter arguement. Guess I can see it from both sides since, as a children and families social worker, you can clearly see the damage it does to the families and the children inparticular but also the pain and suffering that it causes the individual user. You can't pigeonhole all drug users. Each has a different story.

I do drink. However, I drink in moderation and am fully aware of the fact it's not the same as many class A drugs (it's not illegal for a start). I would never touch anything like heroin etc because I am fully aware that as soon as you take it your judgement on how well you can control your intake can completely go to shit. It's not a risk I'd be willing to take under any circumstances whatsoever. I think this is where a huge problem is... people take the drug whilst thinking that they can control it. In truth, it's almost impossible. The drug controls you and you become a different person.

Just like drink can do, but folk seem to think that drinking heaps isnt as bad. Im not condoning heroin addicts here but i dont see why they get treated worse than someone who is an alcoholic. You speak as someone who despises drugs and has never taken them yet you seem to know how heroin can affect a person the first time they take it, the simple fact of the matter is you can get addicted to anything just as quickly as heroin if you approach taking the substance in the wrong manner. I know quite a few people who enjoy supposivly highly addictive substances at the weekend yet dont have to take them everyday or anything, moderation is as affective with drugs as it is with drink.

Ok, I'm not going to say "your wrong" or "your right" to anyone here, but this is my personal view. Everyone should be given their chance. Wether they grew up in a drug den or a mansion and wether they started at age 8 or 68. Everyone should be given their chance to sit down with a counseller and talk it over and if they want to be given help, they can be given it. Infact, I'm in a nice kinda mood, if they make a fair go at it but end up back on the drugs, give them a second go. However, If the government spend thousands of pounds on someone to try and get them off their addiction, put them through rehab, give them all the counselling they could need and then they walk straight back to their dealer, fuck them. Sorry if it seems harsh, but I'm all about free choice and I'm a very strong willed person. If they would rather plunge their families, friends and everyone around them into depression over them, not to mention the social strain caused by any crimes they may or may not commit in order to fund their addiction, they deserve the drugs and everything that comes with them.

But thats just my opinion. No one should be left out, but society simply cant afford to just throw away time and money that could be better spent helping people that actually want the help...

x

I had a pretty crappy experience subletting from a random dude who turned out to be a raving smackhead, so I have both contempt and sympathy in equal measures for them. It doesn't help to give them any justification for their problem. The cruel to be kind solution is just to section them and let them cold turkey under medical supervision.