aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Lester Burnham

A Christmas ghost story for fans of 'The League of Gentlemen': 'Crooked House'

Crooked House

160x120_tv_mark_gatiss.jpg

Read the summary and watch here ----> BBC iPlayer - Search results for crooked house

Its a Christmas horror mini series written by (and starring) The League of Gentleman's, Mark Gatiss.

Has anyone watched it yet? It was on BBC 4 just after Christmas - though I just watched it on iplayer. It's amazing. It actually reminded me of the same sort of feeling you get when you watch programmes like 'Children of the stones', 'Tales of the unexpected' and 'Beasts'. It seems to be a style that has fallen out of fashion - which is why I imagine it was tucked away on BBC4.

It follows a story (broken into three) about a Museum curator (Gatiss) who is visited by a local man who finds a door knocker in his garden. The suspicion is that it belonged to an old house named Geap Manor. The house was built in the 1700's and each owner met some sort of unfortunate fate.

The third and final instalment is especially good (one bit is exceptionally terrifying!). A must watch for anyone who is a fan of the league and who enjoys a horror classic.

Total running time is just shy of 90 minutes for all three instalments. I just watched them in a one-er :)

Go watch it!

10/10 from me.

I think I may have watched the first episode when on TV. Was that the one where a ghost bride with no eyes was terrorising a bunch of folk?

If that wasn't it, then there must've been an advert for the above mini-series at the end of the episode; as that door knocker bit sounds familiar.

I think I may have watched the first episode when on TV. Was that the one where a ghost bride with no eyes was terrorising a bunch of folk?

If that wasn't it, then there must've been an advert for the above mini-series at the end of the episode; as that door knocker bit sounds familiar.

That was the second one that you caught. I actually thought it was the weakest (thought still not bad at all).

The ending was did have a little predictable twist but the bit leading up to it was genius.

To summarise it without giving it away... I just about shat myself after the powercut.

The best present I hot this year was The LoG box set, need to try to find the time for this.

I scooped that up in a Zavvi sale around a year a go. It's a brilliant package. The bonus features are brilliant! You can see clips from a horror movie they tried to make before they were all famous (completely done on a camcorder) which has Reece standing in a shower cubicle covered in fake blood, screaming his head off.

It's one of the few things I've watched with all the commentary on. I still insist that it gets better with every watch.