aberdeen-music

Cover band of the year

Laura

cover bands suck.

That's harsh man.... there are quite a few bands out there that can take a shitty song and turn it into something decent... and as i said somewhere before if some people from those bands are lucky enough to play guitar for living- they can't be that bad...

Guest Tam o' Shantie
That's harsh man.... there are quite a few bands out there that can take a shitty song and turn it into something decent... and as i said somewhere before if some people from those bands are lucky enough to play guitar for living- they can't be that bad...

Yes they can. I'd be lying if I said that I had ever seen a pub cover band play without cringing at their music. Then when I remember that they are probably getting paid hundreds of pounds to play I cringe even harder. You plainly don't have a clue about original local music so I think it's rich that you're getting outraged at hearing slanderous comments towards the bands you've put forward as being 'the best'. Also, while I wouldn't listen to a shitty band just because they weren't performing covers, I have more respect for a crappy musician who creates their own music than I do for the average band of 40 year olds playing Mustang Sally 'really well'.

As an unashamed current member of a covers band who has also played in several original bands in the past, I think this whole original artists vs cover band argument is frankly ridiculous.

The plain and simple fact of the matter is that like it or not, covers band fill a space in the market. Most pubs showing live music don't give a fuck about the artistic credibility of the bands they hire....they only care about how often their tills are rattling. Also, your average pub-goer wants to hear tunes they recognise, which is why covers bands typically make more money than original bands who perhaps haven't 'made it' yet. To me, it's simple supply/demand economics.

I wouldn't try and claim for one second that I'm on stage creating 'art', but I fucking love what we do, we do it pretty well, and I make no apology for it.....if recent turnouts for SFH gigs are anything to go by, there's plenty people out there who enjoy what we do too.

Whether an original band is more deserving of musical respect is a moot point.....I've seen some ridiculously talented guys playing in covers bands whom I have enormous respect for and equally, I've cringed at many original bands....and vice versa.

I could be wrong, but certain people seem to be suggesting that decent musicians owe it to their talent to create original music. IMO, this is snobby bullshit of the highest order.....it's a musician's prerogative to play whatever they bloody well like!

• Upvote 1

Guest Tam o' Shantie

I understand that most pub goers are drooling morons but I don't think people should engage on big debates about which band can play Angels by Robbie Williams with the least fuck ups. Let's face it, the pinnacle of a cover band's performance of an other artist's song, is getting from the beginning to the end without making any mistakes - what else could you want from it?

The only sort of fun that I could get out of a covers band would be from from themed ones like Me First & The Gimme Gimmes or Richard Cheese or something. And even then, it gets a bit old after a while.

I understand that most pub goers are drooling morons but I don't think people should engage on big debates about which band can play Angels by Robbie Williams with the least fuck ups. Let's face it, the pinnacle of a cover band's performance of an other artist's song, is getting from the beginning to the end without making any mistakes - what else could you want from it?

The only sort of fun that I could get out of a covers band would be from from themed ones like Me First & The Gimme Gimmes or Richard Cheese or something. And even then, it gets a bit old after a while.

Isn't the other guy in Ten Easy Wishes in a covers band? What does he think of your thoughts?

I couldnt give a shit either way about cover bands.

Last time I looked this was a music forum, I'd say that talking about cover bands that people enjoy most is more relevant than trying to sell a car or finding flatmates or any number of non-music related topics.

There are terrible cover bands like there are terrible original bands. But there are also good ones on both sides. You can be a cover band and do things in an original way too, sometimes a great deal of work goes into the arrangement of a classic song so don't assume it's always a straightforward "cover".

I enjoy playing on both sides of the barrier.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
Isn't the other guy in Ten Easy Wishes in a covers band? What does he think of your thoughts?

I couldnt give a shit either way about cover bands.

Yeah he is, and he probably agrees with me but enjoys getting paid good amount of money to play other people's songs, and have a bunch of fuckwit drunks coming up to him afterwards telling him how ace it was ie. everything that doesn't happen at a 10EW gig

has anyone heard of blues deluxe?

interested what people think... coz... we booked them up... and me personally- i havent heard them yet... o_O

Laura, in a previous post you said Blues Deluxe were your vote for Cover band of the year, then you say you haven't heard them. How does that work?