aberdeen-music

Bloody sore index finger...

Kaizen

Ello all and merry christmas tomorrow =)

Basically, heres the story. I'm a student in aberdeen but live in edinburgh off-term. I only have and electric guitar up in the deen so ever since i got back, I've been playing lots of my acoustic, which i couldnt be arsed taking up with me. However, as acoustics are slightly tougher on the old fingers than electrics, ive developed a blister on my left index finger that has been there for a few days now and thus cant really play properly =( Any tips on not getting this again? Ways to build calluses quicker? I heard running your fingers over a candle flame can help toughen the skin, but i dunno.

Cheers!

Once its gone you might want to see about getting some latex gloves, you can either wear them whole or cut the finger tips off the fingers your having problems with.

Heres what I mean because the above sounds like rambling to me o_O

Use the tips of the fingers like fingertip sheaths, that way you can caress the strings with more pleasure. But please remember they can tear during the act of fingering so you might want to pop down to the finger pain cartel to pickup a multipack. You could try doubling up too.

If you get a blister, pop it, cover it in pure tea tree oil and cover it all in superglue.

Likewise if you get a cut in an annoying place such as on a knuckle which is quite often moved causing the wound to re-open :up:

Lubricate the strings a bit with whatever that fancy string lubricant is called, but not too much.

One of my old bands drummers used to soak his fingers in salt water (lots of salt) or just straight vinegar. It hardened his existing blisters and stopped him from getting them again. That might work for blisters at the ends of the fingers too.

Or just use a lower gauge string