aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Kaizen

Bloody sore index finger...

Ello all and merry christmas tomorrow =)

Basically, heres the story. I'm a student in aberdeen but live in edinburgh off-term. I only have and electric guitar up in the deen so ever since i got back, I've been playing lots of my acoustic, which i couldnt be arsed taking up with me. However, as acoustics are slightly tougher on the old fingers than electrics, ive developed a blister on my left index finger that has been there for a few days now and thus cant really play properly =( Any tips on not getting this again? Ways to build calluses quicker? I heard running your fingers over a candle flame can help toughen the skin, but i dunno.

Cheers!

Yes your right. Blisters are for pussies. If i was a real man, my body wouldnt have natural reactions... it just comes down to the fact that i litterally cant press it down any more... your body stops you from doing things like that...

helpful tips anyone?

Oh i should also say, its not just from normal playing, ive been learning ocean by john butler trio which has a lot of tapping on the high strings. A bit cutty.

Guest Hobo

Once its gone you might want to see about getting some latex gloves, you can either wear them whole or cut the finger tips off the fingers your having problems with.

Heres what I mean because the above sounds like rambling to me o_O

Use the tips of the fingers like fingertip sheaths, that way you can caress the strings with more pleasure. But please remember they can tear during the act of fingering so you might want to pop down to the finger pain cartel to pickup a multipack. You could try doubling up too.

yeah ta for the help everyone...

The more you use your fingers the tougher they'll become. Alternatively, you could piss in a mug and soak your fingertips in your own urine.

Seriously, let it heal, grow some balls and get back in the saddle. :up:

yeah, most people get calluses though. I just dont... so i have to just stop playing for a few days every time this happens which really pisses me off. Thus, asking if anyone knew a way to build calluses...

Oor Wullie used to soak his chestnuts in vinegar to toughen them up, so maybe if you dangle the fingers in some of that it would help. Or give them a light coating of superglue (just don't play, press the fingers together, or do any self-abuse until they're dry) :up:

If you sit in your room playing guitar to the point of hurting yourself, possibly consider asking that special girl you like to go out for some dinner.

That'll just cause heart-blisters.:laughing:

yeah that kinda sets you back to square one... lol

its fine if your careful about it =) and Im actually getting callusses tho! =o Never really had them before... they feel wierd...

Merry christmas everyone by the way!

Guest Hobo

If you get a blister, pop it, cover it in pure tea tree oil and cover it all in superglue.

Likewise if you get a cut in an annoying place such as on a knuckle which is quite often moved causing the wound to re-open :up:

Lubricate the strings a bit with whatever that fancy string lubricant is called, but not too much.

One of my old bands drummers used to soak his fingers in salt water (lots of salt) or just straight vinegar. It hardened his existing blisters and stopped him from getting them again. That might work for blisters at the ends of the fingers too.

Or just use a lower gauge string