aberdeen-music
Sign in to follow this  
Kaizen

http://thezeitgeistmovement.com/home.html

Have a look and see. It's basically an orginisation that wants a world without money. I'm not talking about trading cabbages for chickens or anything... just read and watch and see for yourself.

I was doubtful at first, but i watched the two films on Zeitgeist - The Movie and to be honest it seems to make sense. There are still a couple of pitfalls in my opinion, but i just thought i'd see what you lot thought about it?

Try not to just read the first paragraph and make your mind up. Both the films are feature length and about 2 hours long, so it's cool if you can't be arsed. It's just really interesting to find out where your money actually comes from.

Let me know =)

Zeitgeist, the Movie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Criticism

Though the film has attracted significant public interest,[6] a feature article in The Stranger has stated the film is based solely on anecdotal evidence,[13] while other publications have criticized it for using unidentified, undated, and unsourced video news clips, voice-overs, quotes, and book citations without page numbers.[14][15] An opinion piece in the Irish Times called it "unhinged" and accused it of offering nothing but "surreal perversions of genuine issues and debates."[6]

Thats why I asked your opinions of the ideas portrayed. Not those of the Irish times, The Stranger and various other publications. Especially not those of and open source information website such as wikipedia =)

Also, I'm fairly sure if you looked REALLY hard, you could probably find one or two criticisms for any other political situation, including that which we are living in.

Cheers. x

Haha! fair doos. Nah religeon is definately the biggest setback in my eyes... They can't expect people to just stop believeing in their faith because it suits them. However, the energy production issue raises a lot of questions for me. Considering the lengths people are going to to cut down on emissions/electricity, they seem to make a fair point as to oil barons being general bastards. I dunno though, they are doing this whole venus project city anyway. If that actually works out, i might be more convinced that something can come of it.

Surely the main issue is that without money (or currency) there's little incentive to do anything. It's all fine saying we could farm etc etc but some lazy cunt would steal. Then there would be no police as why would you do a dangerous job if you weren't being paid?

Note: I haven't watched the film but surely the huge flaw is human nature itself?

Yeah the film says that this is an argument thats often brought up. Theres a few things behind this. One is that the idea that without money, people can advance faster technologically since theres no one buying patents and hiding them in order to keep their busness afloat (oil companaies buying altearnative energy patents). Once this technology advances, alot of the mundane tasks that people have to do such as street sweeping, farming etc can be taken over by machinery and technology and will become unnecissary. As far as jobs that cant be done so easily by technology goes, they argue that incentive isnt actually human nature as it is bred into us rather than us being born with it. Think of a child trying to fit the right shape into the right hole. He doesnt get payed for doing it, but he thinks and learns because he wants to.

In my opinion, its a great idea, but so is communism... doesnt mean its gonna work any time soon.

x

Don't get me started on communism :p

To summarise my feelings, it's a very nice idea... but it's certainly never going to work as long as anyone exists who has a selfish nature. People exploiting the advantages simply cause resentment among those who don't... ticking time bomb... etc. I get the feeling the zeitgeist movement is much of the same thing. There's simply no way of making everyone "equal".

Read Animal Farm.

Guest Hobo

It is entirely possible to live like that, the only way to do it at present in this country would be to get a large piece of land with water/forest/fields. Make an agreement with the council on council tax(youd probably pay the year + % per year on top for maybe 100 years depending on how long you wanted to live like that)

so, buy land, pay council tax for X years, live peacefully8-)

You can't be equal to everyone but you can be equal in your own little community. Of course there will be some who have nicer houses but without money this requires skill and ingenuity

This film has been doing the rounds for yonks.

yes there are holes and yes your hppy mates are gonna wank all over it but it is a pretty good watch at the end of the day whatever yur opinion.

All it did was give me something else to be cynical about.

Surely the main issue is that without money (or currency) there's little incentive to do anything. It's all fine saying we could farm etc etc but some lazy cunt would steal. Then there would be no police as why would you do a dangerous job if you weren't being paid?

Note: I haven't watched the film but surely the huge flaw is human nature itself?

Currency is just the current means of representing what we require of life. The problem for me is when cash transcends its literal value and becomes a coveted object of adoration, to be hoarded and sat on as an end in itself, and not just as a mediator of exchange. Therefore if your incentive is solely cash for, by and of itself, then yes, there'd be no incentive to work for anything else. However, if your desire is happiness, well-being, achievement etc, there's nothing to say these can't be achieved through an alternate system than what we currently adhere to.

Regarding the film, I watched the first hour and have yet to come to 'the money bit'. Dave, isn't the fact that they found angular cuts in the foundations of the WTC more than anecdotal? Conjecture, possibly, but based upon the tested physical properties of metal. There is a photograph of one of these cuts; surely that image resides in objective existence, subject to analysis, measured criticism and scrutiny?