Jump to content
aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!


Guest idol_wild
 Share

Recommended Posts

Jesus, that's some serious fuckery right there. Fuck that guy. I sold some records on eBay a while ago and got some right dicks too. Nothing like that sort of level thankfully. 99% of the time I have no problems with eBay, just every now and then you get an uppity arsehole that will do anything try and get a refund / dispute. I had one guy kick up a stink because the antique clarinet I sold him got damaged in transit. There's no way it was damaged in transit because I bubble wrapped the fuck out that thing. He sent me a pic with a tiny chip missing from the mouthpiece, which looked a lot like maybe someone had dropped it taking it out of the packaging, but how can you prove that? Unfortunately damage in transit still seems to be the sellers risk, even if it is genuine. I ended up having to give the cunt a full refund and letting him keep the clarinet (fuck Canada, Brazil and England). I didn't feel too bad though because I'd had it checked out by an expert and it was fucked beyond repair. Of course, he didn't know that. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

AGFW went on holiday then worked out of office for like 3 weeks. Things were nice adn quiet and mellow and peopkle got in with work. AGFW is back now...and can't let the office just be silent for 2 minutes. Constantly feels the need to talk. About anything, but mainly mundane, inane shite.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Teabags said:

AGFW went on holiday then worked out of office for like 3 weeks. Things were nice adn quiet and mellow and peopkle got in with work. AGFW is back now...and can't let the office just be silent for 2 minutes. Constantly feels the need to talk. About anything, but mainly mundane, inane shite.

tell her shite dad jokes till she fucks off

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pet Hate: Having family stay over that, without fail, every visit managed to break something in the house.  Within 15 minutes of the current visit the toilet cistern was broken.  Did I miss something when I grew up, are you supposed to remove a door handle, pull down a curtain or bugger the door locks when you stay over at someone else's house?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Forgot about the shower, it always gets trashed, mother-in-law managed to put a hole in the shower hose and on another stay pulled the pole that mounts the shower head off the wall completely.  How she managed both of these I don't know, she always denies touching anything!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

14 hours ago, colb said:

This True North festival nonsense, another year with minimal Aberdeen representation - still banging on about celebrating the singer songwriter tradition of the North East though...

 

This years' marketing/promo stuff doesn't mention the singer/songwriter thing at all to be fair: http://www.aberdeenperformingarts.com/truenorth 

There are also a few fringe-y type shows that have yet to be announced that will feature local artists.

1 hour ago, TR!ΔNGL€ T€€TH said:

Aberdeen bands will just need to up their game. Good on Kathryn though!

Basically this. My understanding is TrueNorth is designed to bring decent, new/contemporary and relevant bands of a certain level (i.e. bands that have done something) to Aberdeen. Preferably something unique (such as PSB at HMT, or Start to End's Rumours). Not necessarily about showcasing NE talent.

There basically aren't many suitable bands locally that tick the boxes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

 

This years' marketing/promo stuff doesn't mention the singer/songwriter thing at all to be fair: http://www.aberdeenperformingarts.com/truenorth 

There are also a few fringe-y type shows that have yet to be announced that will feature local artists.

Basically this. My understanding is TrueNorth is designed to bring decent, new/contemporary and relevant bands of a certain level (i.e. bands that have done something) to Aberdeen. Preferably something unique (such as PSB at HMT, or Start to End's Rumours). Not necessarily about showcasing NE talent.

There basically aren't many suitable bands locally that tick the boxes.

The Facebook page still definitely mentions the singer/songwriter North East thing - that's where I saw it.

And a band playing someone else's songs isn't unique - they're on a Krakatoa/Drummonds most weekends. 

There are loads of local bands that could play support to these bigger bands - that would have covered both bases, and it would have justified Aberdeen City Council sponsoring it.

Anyway, some people are happy with the line-up and supports, i'm not - each to their own. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, colb said:

And a band playing someone else's songs isn't unique - they're on a Krakatoa/Drummonds most weekends. 

There are loads of local bands that could play support to these bigger bands - that would have covered both bases, and it would have justified Aberdeen City Council sponsoring it.

Anyway, some people are happy with the line-up and supports, i'm not - each to their own. 

 

No, but a band playing the full record from start to finish is a unique thing, whether you agree with the premise or not. It's also a one-off - they play in other bands. It's not like they're doing it every weekend.

What local bands would have on supporting, out of interest? In terms of suiting any of the lineups. I agree with you that it would be nice to have more local representation - of course - but I genuinely struggle to see where these great bands are that'd do the job, for the most part (perhaps I'm just out of touch).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

No, but a band playing the full record from start to finish is a unique thing, whether you agree with the premise or not. It's also a one-off - they play in other bands. It's not like they're doing it every weekend.

What local bands would have on supporting, out of interest? In terms of suiting any of the lineups. I agree with you that it would be nice to have more local representation - of course - but I genuinely struggle to see where these great bands are that'd do the job, for the most part (perhaps I'm just out of touch).

A band playing a full record from start to finish isn't unique either - without even going out of my way i've seen Teenage Fanclub, The Breeders, Roger Waters and Television do it. I'm willing to bet a quick internet search would turn up a load of tribute bands doing it too.

I'd have to have a proper look at the line-ups to match bands to gigs - but off the top of my head I could see Seas, Starry supporting PSB or Wild Beasts, Rich Wyness on a bill with Kathryn, Audiokicks playing with Start to End.

These are good Aberdeen based bands/artists - but you don't have to be great to play a support slot, just keen - very few people buy a ticket based on who's supporting and no one leaves because of a support band.

Plus it would save a ton of money, and given ACC is sponsoring this shindig, and we're allegedly skint - this can only be a good thing.... 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, colb said:

These are good Aberdeen based bands/artists - but you don't have to be great to play a support slot, just keen - very few people buy a ticket based on who's supporting and no one leaves because of a support band.

See, this I just fundamentally disagree with. Putting on a show/festival like this isn't a charitable cause. Bands/artists should be great, and promoters should be looking to book the best possible acts for these kinds of shows. Why not make it a brilliant lineup that people want to be in the venue for from the start rather than turning up just before the headliner plays?

And why should it save a ton of money? I presume there's a budget that's been agreed, and I would completely back that regardless of who plays these shows (local artists, out of town artists, soloists, bands, great or otherwise), should be paid the fee attributed to that slot.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

For local bands, it is often the case of "you don't ask, you don't get" and that generally means a hard slog of being ignored and/or rejection. I genuinely think the onus is on the bands to go out and push themselves to the right people.

Saying that, TrueNorth awfully close to "PooNorth", make of that what you will.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

See, this I just fundamentally disagree with. Putting on a show/festival like this isn't a charitable cause. Bands/artists should be great, and promoters should be looking to book the best possible acts for these kinds of shows. Why not make it a brilliant lineup that people want to be in the venue for from the start rather than turning up just before the headliner plays?

And why should it save a ton of money? I presume there's a budget that's been agreed, and I would completely back that regardless of who plays these shows (local artists, out of town artists, soloists, bands, great or otherwise), should be paid the fee attributed to that slot.

APA is a charity, and this festival relies on sponsorship - it absolutely is charitable cause.

Also, part of APA's mission is to support the arts in the North East. Part of that involves bringing art in, and part involves encouraging local art. This festival does not fit their mission (in my opinion).

I've not heard of all the support acts, but I bet they're not all better than bands in Aberdeen. And I agree that bands should be great, but there are different degrees of great, and it's hard to get great without playing the odd gig that's out of your depth isn't it? - plus for me i'll take keen over polished any time.

Using local support instead of bringing acts in would save money more in terms of rider/equipment transport and costs rather than performance fees, although I would be interested to find out what APA are paying the supports for this compared with what they pay local supports (when they use them).

I agree that local bands do need to promote themselves a bit more - but in this case i'm not sure it would make a difference.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, colb said:

APA is a charity, and this festival relies on sponsorship - it absolutely is charitable cause.

Also, part of APA's mission is to support the arts in the North East. Part of that involves bringing art in, and part involves encouraging local art. This festival does not fit their mission (in my opinion).

I've not heard of all the support acts, but I bet they're not all better than bands in Aberdeen. And I agree that bands should be great, but there are different degrees of great, and it's hard to get great without playing the odd gig that's out of your depth isn't it? - plus for me i'll take keen over polished any time.

Using local support instead of bringing acts in would save money more in terms of rider/equipment transport and costs rather than performance fees, although I would be interested to find out what APA are paying the supports for this compared with what they pay local supports (when they use them).

I agree that local bands do need to promote themselves a bit more - but in this case i'm not sure it would make a difference.

Sorry, what I meant by it not being a charitable cause was essentially that bands shouldn't be pandered to regardless of their ability/quality, just because they're keen. In short - you should be good enough before you should be considered for a slot at this festival or any support slot at any venue.

Rider/equipment transport is a negligible cost. Why should local support acts not benefit from a rider if out of town bands do? I can all but guarantee that the out of town support acts booked for these shows will not get any more of a rider than a standard Lemon Tree support rider offered to any local band that plays a similar slot. Plus APA isn't paying for out-of-town acts to get to the venue so equipment transport cost isn't even really a thing (unless I've misunderstood what you mean?).

Basically, I'm not disagreeing with your fundamental point that preference should be given to local acts as support for a festival like this. I just don't think there are enough (any?) relevant and active quality local acts to fill the spaces.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

Sorry, what I meant by it not being a charitable cause was essentially that bands shouldn't be pandered to regardless of their ability/quality, just because they're keen. In short - you should be good enough before you should be considered for a slot at this festival or any support slot at any venue.

Rider/equipment transport is a negligible cost. Why should local support acts not benefit from a rider if out of town bands do? I can all but guarantee that the out of town support acts booked for these shows will not get any more of a rider than a standard Lemon Tree support rider offered to any local band that plays a similar slot. Plus APA isn't paying for out-of-town acts to get to the venue so equipment transport cost isn't even really a thing (unless I've misunderstood what you mean?).

Basically, I'm not disagreeing with your fundamental point that preference should be given to local acts as support for a festival like this. I just don't think there are enough (any?) relevant and active quality local acts to fill the spaces.

How does one accomplish that if they never get a gig to gauge their great/shite-ness?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Adam Easy Wishes said:

Sorry, what I meant by it not being a charitable cause was essentially that bands shouldn't be pandered to regardless of their ability/quality, just because they're keen. In short - you should be good enough before you should be considered for a slot at this festival or any support slot at any venue.

Rider/equipment transport is a negligible cost. Why should local support acts not benefit from a rider if out of town bands do? I can all but guarantee that the out of town support acts booked for these shows will not get any more of a rider than a standard Lemon Tree support rider offered to any local band that plays a similar slot. Plus APA isn't paying for out-of-town acts to get to the venue so equipment transport cost isn't even really a thing (unless I've misunderstood what you mean?).

Basically, I'm not disagreeing with your fundamental point that preference should be given to local acts as support for a festival like this. I just don't think there are enough (any?) relevant and active quality local acts to fill the spaces.

I wish riders were a negligible cost. We're putting on a decent sized band in a couple of weeks* and when you count in accommodation and food costs the rider is nearly 50% on top of the performance fee. Now there are different levels and scopes for performance fees and riders - but the bands aren't paying for accommodation and food because it's either in the rider or it's built into their fee - but it costs more to bring a band in than put a local band on, it just does.

I'm not sure how you can say that there aren't any relevant or good enough bands to fill these slots though - unless you've listened to every support band that's been booked you're taking a fair old swing in the dark there - they could all be terrible?

*shameless plug - come and see this gig and help me pay for it, also it'll be fucking great!! https://tinyurl.com/y774lchr

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, AVB said:

How does one accomplish that if they never get a gig to gauge their great/shite-ness?

You build a reputation at smaller venues, less high profile shows and progress from there. I'm not saying anything ridiculous, surely? All I'm saying is you don't get a show supporting Public Service Broadcasting unless you've put in the time, effort and graft to promote yourself, show yourself off and demonstrate that you're good enough and capable for a promoter to offer you a high profile support slot.

Combined with recorded output, of course.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Adam Easy Wishes said:

You build a reputation at smaller venues, less high profile shows and progress from there. I'm not saying anything ridiculous, surely? All I'm saying is you don't get a show supporting Public Service Broadcasting unless you've put in the time, effort and graft to promote yourself, show yourself off and demonstrate that you're good enough and capable for a promoter to offer you a high profile support slot.

Combined with recorded output, of course.

that's a fair statement, but what you said originally was 'any support slot at any venue' which is a rediculous statement. but yeah, I agree with your expanded explanation haha

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, colb said:

I wish riders were a negligible cost. We're putting on a decent sized band in a couple of weeks* and when you count in accommodation and food costs the rider is nearly 50% on top of the performance fee. Now there are different levels and scopes for performance fees and riders - but the bands aren't paying for accommodation and food because it's either in the rider or it's built into their fee - but it costs more to bring a band in than put a local band on, it just does.

I'm not sure how you can say that there aren't any relevant or good enough bands to fill these slots though - unless you've listened to every support band that's been booked you're taking a fair old swing in the dark there - they could all be terrible?

*shameless plug - come and see this gig and help me pay for it, also it'll be fucking great!! https://tinyurl.com/y774lchr

I take your point on accommodation/rider but I still think it pretty unlikely that any of the support acts are getting accommodation provision in their fee. They will have been offered a fee and then made the call themselves whether they can afford to take it on vs what it would cost to stay locally or travel home after the show.

Of the support acts announced (that I can see) I have heard every one and seen Bdy_Prts, Indigo Velvet and Neon Waltz live. They are not all to my taste, but they are all doing something professional/polished, understand their live show, and (crucially for this festival) are active and relevant (recent recorded output, touring, radio airplay).

[EDIT= I also know for a fact that many of the headline acts have been prescriptive in what kind of support acts will work for them - acoustic/solo acts so as not to disrupt stage set up etc etc., and some of the shows/performances won't require or suit having any support at all.]

 

5 minutes ago, AVB said:

that's a fair statement, but what you said originally was 'any support slot at any venue' which is a rediculous statement. but yeah, I agree with your expanded explanation haha

Yeah, sorry I wasn't clear, but I did mean that you have to be 'good enough' to suit the show/venue/requirements of any show.

 

P.S. Finally a thread about music on aberdeen-music eh? Who'd have thought.

Edited by Adam Easy Wishes
  • Upvote 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...