aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

20 hours ago, James Broonbreed said:

Work forces getting more than halved.

Redundancies have been brutal this past couple of years. My work has been through 3 rounds now, and that means the technical department I work has more than halved in size. Everyone seems the same though, grim times.

My missus' redundancy was the major reason we left Aberdeen. Prospects citywide seems pretty grim as a result. Her old company looks like it's falling to pieces. They're busier than ever but they've got no staff to do it. Apparently they're asking staff to pull "all nighters" for no extra pay. Lolz. 

Before I left, my department in the Council advertised a crappy fixed term admin job at just over 16k. You'd normally expect about 50 to 100 applicants for a council admin job. This one got 3400 applicants. Predominantly ex-oil folk. Madness.

The last I heard, recruitment agencies were turning people away as well. Gruesome.

Come to the south of England, guys. We both landed jobs in under 2 weeks. I then got offered another better job somewhere else after my first day. I had to resign on my first day and take the better job. You can't move for jobs.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

My missus' redundancy was the major reason we left Aberdeen. Prospects citywide seems pretty grim as a result. Her old company looks like it's falling to pieces. They're busier than ever but they've got no staff to do it. Apparently they're asking staff to pull "all nighters" for no extra pay. Lolz. 

Before I left, my department in the Council advertised a crappy fixed term admin job at just over 16k. You'd normally expect about 50 to 100 applicants for a council admin job. This one got 3400 applicants. Predominantly ex-oil folk. Madness.

The last I heard, recruitment agencies were turning people away as well. Gruesome.

Come to the south of England, guys. We both landed jobs in under 2 weeks. I then got offered another better job somewhere else after my first day. I had to resign on my first day and take the better job. You can't move for jobs.

I came to Ireland right in the depths of the crash. We were advertising minimum wage call centre jobs, aimed at school leavers really, I was getting CVs in from former company directors, financial advisors, all manner of white collar managers from every field. I genuinely got a CV in from a pilot, looking to answer phones for 9 quid an hour. 

On 9/12/2016 at 8:43 PM, James Broonbreed said:

There's no names yet, just 'the plan going ahead'. I'm not confident I'll be on the good half, due to others' longevity of service and experience in other roles. Basically people in higher positions are in the same pool as the rest of us. I've also never brown-nosed - much to my detriment.

Hope it works out man.  It's been pretty grim for a good 2 years with my work.  I've gone for voluntary redundancy and started back at college, I could have stayed in work but the constant re-organising/re-applying for jobs was doing me in.

5 hours ago, Lemonade said:

I came to Ireland right in the depths of the crash. We were advertising minimum wage call centre jobs, aimed at school leavers really, I was getting CVs in from former company directors, financial advisors, all manner of white collar managers from every field. I genuinely got a CV in from a pilot, looking to answer phones for 9 quid an hour. 

It was similar where I was. Engineers and former project managers applying for the bottom rung admin jobs all across the council. They weren't even getting considered, because they'd be off in a flash as soon as they got an offer again from an oil company.

2 hours ago, Cabbage said:

Hope it works out man.  It's been pretty grim for a good 2 years with my work.  I've gone for voluntary redundancy and started back at college, I could have stayed in work but the constant re-organising/re-applying for jobs was doing me in.

Cheers, Cabbage.

I'm starting open uni in a few weeks, and to be honest, if the worst comes to the worst, I wouldn't balk at a break from offshore/oil & gas - it's a massive piece of shit just now.

Oh I'll tell you what I hate. The process of buying a birthday card. I'd like the world to just come to an agreement that birthday cards are horrible, and we just flush that tradition forevermore. It had a good run, but they are just garbage, aren't they?

I was trying to find one for my Dad earlier, who I have quite a distant relationship with, so that rules out all the "best daddy ever" cards. So what are you left with? Cards with horrifically sexist 'gags' on them, (I saw one that had a women with a black eye on the floor and two men stood next to her. "What happened here?" Man 1 says. "She asked me to do the washing up" replies Man 2. Fuck off), cards shaped like a glass of beer, and the horrible cartoony type that have something like "FOOTY MAD DAD" on the front. Urgh. I plumped for the beer one, and actually apologised in the card for the shittiness of the card. Sorry Dad. I went to 3 card shops and every card is fucking stupid, including this one.

Fuck cards. Stop cards forever. Let's just give each other a birthday handshake, and post a funny picture on their Facebook wall.

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Oh I'll tell you what I hate. The process of buying a birthday card. I'd like the world to just come to an agreement that birthday cards are horrible, and we just flush that tradition forevermore. It had a good run, but they are just garbage, aren't they?

I was trying to find one for my Dad earlier, who I have quite a distant relationship with, so that rules out all the "best daddy ever" cards. So what are you left with? Cards with horrifically sexist 'gags' on them, (I saw one that had a women with a black eye on the floor and two men stood next to her. "What happened here?" Man 1 says. "She asked me to do the washing up" replies Man 2. Fuck off), cards shaped like a glass of beer, and the horrible cartoony type that have something like "FOOTY MAD DAD" on the front. Urgh. I plumped for the beer one, and actually apologised in the card for the shittiness of the card. Sorry Dad. I went to 3 card shops and every card is fucking stupid, including this one.

Fuck cards. Stop cards forever. Let's just give each other a birthday handshake, and post a funny picture on their Facebook wall.

Get a toilet roll tube, open it up with a cutting device of your choice, scrawl 'HAPPY BIRTHDAY' on it and send that. It's cheaper and because it's home made it'll mean so much more than any card you could buy.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Who is even in Sabbath now? Is it Ozzy? Or is it going to be a Dio hologram?

Saying that, a Dio hologram would be more alive than an in-the-flesh Ozzy. How is Ozzy still breathing? He always sounds on the cusp of death.

It's mostly the original line up, Ozzy, Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and...... A. Drummer. Not Bill Ward. It's meant to be their farewell tour. Hence the price I suppose. It's a fucking scam, but all the standing tickets are gone and it's a massive venue so I guess it's a profitable one. 

Edited by Lemonade

3 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

The ones of painted race cars for boys birthdays are epic.

Like this one 

386c98bd263af88255e5e7f3748632b9.jpg

I agree. Greetings cards should fuck right off. I refuse to buy them. Waste of paper. Waste of money.

On 9/16/2016 at 2:24 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

I've always been in the mindset of "you get a card if you're getting money in it, or fuck all else". If you get a gift, the gift tag will say "happy birthday from jake" on it anyway, and the gift tag will end up in the bin along with all the cards but it wasn't a fucking hassle finding one and it won't take up room while you debate how soon is too soon to get rid of all the cards.

What's happened to Amazon's customer service? They used to be godlike. Now they're a bit snappy and generally not that bothered if Yodel have lobbed your parcel into the canal.

Did the government make them pay a bit of tax or something?

A parcel should have been delivered today. Tracking says it was out for delivery today, then delivered in the afternoon. Parcel nowhere to be seen, neighbours don't have it. Amazon trying to convince me it was scanned as out for delivery and scanned as delivered by accident. If I don't have it by NEXT TUESDAY, come back to them and they can replace or refund.

Looks like the party is over. They're mardy bastards now.

Oh and shirt packaging. Isn't shirt packaging just the most ridiculous thing? Cardboard all around the collar, bit of plastic wrapped around the top button, slab of cardboard down the back and tucked under the collar, tissue paper stuffed up anywhere it will go, about 300 clips holding it together, all wrapped in plastic with a little coat-hanger attached so it can hang on the shop fixture.

Every landfill on earth is probably about 80% shirt clips and coat-hangered plastic packets.

• Upvote 1