aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

I've been close to cancelling Netflix a few times, there's not that much telly on it that I want to watch, and I'm starting to go back over stuff I've already watched, plus it's shite for films. But then they added about 500 hours of Star Trek and now I'm like:

giphy.gif

Edited by Lemonade

8 minutes ago, Mac Atom said:

Am I missing something?  Can't you still just buy the DVDs you want?  Netflix is costing you the equivalent of 1 DVD purchase a month, if that.

I agree though - the back catalogue is utter mince and if it wasn't for Upflix (shows EVERYTHING that's being added daily, and not just the stuff Netflix are paid to tell you about and lets you add titles to your Netflix watch-list from the app) and other 3rd-party apps like the one you've mentioned I wouldn't get much use out of it.  

The ease of streaming far outweighs the cost and hassle (storage, having to arse about with discs and machines) of buying dvds. I simply don't want to buy dvds anymore  - it's just unfortunate that streaming hasn't fully replicated the experience yet. This viewing cultural shift isn't quite there yet for me, but i'm not gonna be a luggard and stay left behind with a massive cupboard full of dvds

I'm actually going to sign up for their DVD service again - didn't even know it still existed till I looked for it the other day. They seem to have a much better selection.

I pretty much only use Netflix to watch It's Always Sunny and Community. 

A lot of good stuff was on Netflix a couple of years ago when there was a major boom in people subscribing, then got taken off. The U.K. Netflix in particular just keeps getting worse. I find way more on the US one  

I still buy BluRays though and still have a fairly enormous DVD collection. I like to own things. 

I had a vast DVD collection when I left Aberdeen but I don't think I've bought a DVD since. I dont watch that much TV or that many films but I make do with either recording off the telly or Netflix, or there's loads of box sets free on Sky On Demand so there's usually something worth watching. 

6 hours ago, Stroopy121 said:

Back to piracy buying DVDs for me!

It's even harder to go back to piracy buying DVDs. They've gotten pretty heavy handed and closed down all the good torrent sites DVD shops. As soon as I type torrent sites DVD shops in to Google, my browser explodes with PC AIDS and I probably get put on a police register.

Where are all the good DVD shops that haven't been stamped on by the guv'ment?

Edited by Soda van Jerk

What's your set up with regards to DVD shop and subsequent DVD watching?

Totally can't be arsed manually taking the DVD shop file from my computer, putting it on a hard disk/cloud service and accessing from a device connected to my TV

Is there an app/mobile web version of these DVD shops that automates everything so I only need to browse DVDs, select which ones I want to watch and they are 'delivered' to the corresponding app on my TV?

I've heard Plex can be used for such things?

My Smart TV has an app so I can select the LEGITIMATELY BOUGHT DVD and cast it from my laptop to my TV via WIFI. But prior to getting a Smart TV, I just put the ACTUAL DVD HARD COPY WHICH I HAVE THE RECEIPT FOR onto an external HD and plugged it into the Xbox.

I think Xboxes can do what the Smart TV can do as well, but I've never had an luck with it. It's always very laggy when I do it.

In your set up you're still having to have a computer on and connected, sourcing the legal DVDs and adding them to some sort of legal payment processing/download queue. If I could do all that via an app interface that's connected to a cloud account that can be accessed on the TV, i'd switch back to legal DVDs in a heartbeat.

I have a NAS server at home so when I buy DVDs I legally copy them to my home server for personal home use only and, since my living room TV runs my PC for gaming then I can just stream it over my home network using VLC or similar.

I've never used one, but friends have similar NAS setups to me and there's software that'll allow you to pick a series and will automatically buy the latest episodes as they're released which is pretty cool, but I'm a binge-watcher by nature anyway so I tend to wait for the whole box set and get it all at once.

xx

If you're in a band, why not get a tuner with a mute on it so people can't tell that you're rubbish at tuning? 

If you're in a band and you have to get your kit and go, why not wait until there's not another band playing to really obviously gather your kit and go? 

If you're gonna play a cover of Sally Cinnamon, learn the fucking solo - it's really really easy. 

• Upvote 3

On 27/08/2016 at 11:01 AM, colb said:

If you're in a band, why not get a tuner with a mute on it so people can't tell that you're rubbish at tuning? 

If you're in a band and you have to get your kit and go, why not wait until there's not another band playing to really obviously gather your kit and go? 

If you're gonna play a cover of Sally Cinnamon, learn the fucking solo - it's really really easy. 

It sounds like you go to shit gigs.

• Upvote 2

Some recent quotes from my AGFW. FTR this person is privately schooled and is now my manager. 

We need to get on top of the gameball

He's a dark fox

She's clueless as a breeze

The clue is in the pudding

You need to delete your history browser. Do you know how to get to your history browser? 

There's a lot of switching and swatching

This is so fustrating (sic), I'm pulling my teeth out 

You need to have a symbol sign in your password, like an explanation mark

The cheques are all over the air

I'm afraid your order has been overviewed

That's not the problem, the problem is there's a bug on the virus.

I deeply apologise on that behalf.

It comes from some city in England, Stokeholm or something.

It's supposed to be done every Monday, but I think it's fallen through a hoop.

We don't need things dripping and drapping on us.

They're pulling me around the block

I can't say it any more clearer

It was just a mistypo. What do you want me to say? I'm sorry for the mistypo.

I feel like a talking part at this stage

Be careful that doesn't come back on the long foot

We were going to do that but unfortunately you beat us to the pulp

I think there's an error on the system server

There's things that slip through my pipeline

He's trying to play the pity party on you.

I softblowed that too.

Shaun emailed five times and I emailed twice. Thats six emails.

It would be nice to have everyone on the same wavepage

I'm not a rocket science... lady

I have a very irated customer on the phone 

It disappeared, it just... vamoosed

I thought I saw it this morning but i might have been overseeing things

They're still just trying to get their feet on gear

I couldn't understand his accent, I think he's Pakistanian or something

It was an overview and an overlook from that department.

Edited by Lemonade
  • Upvote 7