aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

You think MPs in the UK are bad. This guy,  an elected Member of Parliament in Ireland, states in a debate about climate change, "I believe that God is in charge of the weather, and we here can't do anything about it" 

http://m.independent.ie/videos/irish-news/watch-i-believe-that-god-above-is-in-charge-of-the-weather-climate-change-according-to-danny-healy-rae-34685763.html 

Ireland is generally pretty great but religion still infiltrates everything, especially among country folk. It can be a real drag dealing with people like this. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Urgh, seriously regretting getting involved with selling on Ebay. I've got two non-payers now who are just blanking my messages after having 48 hours to pay. I offered the items to the next highest bidders, and they don't want them now. So I have to re-list and hope I don't get pissed about again in a week's time.

Why are there shithouses who bid on (and win) items but have no intention of paying? If they do end up paying, albeit several days late, I'm going to just send them bullets in the post.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Urgh, seriously regretting getting involved with selling on Ebay. I've got two non-payers now who are just blanking my messages after having 48 hours to pay. I offered the items to the next highest bidders, and they don't want them now. So I have to re-list and hope I don't get pissed about again in a week's time.

Why are there shithouses who bid on (and win) items but have no intention of paying? If they do end up paying, albeit several days late, I'm going to just send them bullets in the post.

I've had the same issue on that music gear buy/sell page on Facebook. Threw a guitar that I'll never play again up on there about a week ago. First guy messages me within an hour of the ad going up, we agree a price, then a time/date for the dude to come and collect/pay for it. Half an hour before he's supposed to show-up, I get a message like "sorry m8 can't come round today, me cat got a Drumstick lolly stuck in its lug." Well, not that, but something equally contrived. Rolled my eyes and said "alright, next weekend?" and he's like "aye fine." Try to message this goober again on Friday -- no response. Hasn't even read it. Great stuff.

Another dude messages me on Friday night asking if the ad's still valid as he'd like to buy. At this point I'm like "sod it, the other dude's being a bufty" so I reply in the affirmative. Two minutes later he replies like "not interested." Get in the bin.

What is it about the act of buying things on the internet that turns people into such whompers?

1 hour ago, Murrr said:

I've had the same issue on that music gear buy/sell page on Facebook. Threw a guitar that I'll never play again up on there about a week ago. First guy messages me within an hour of the ad going up, we agree a price, then a time/date for the dude to come and collect/pay for it. Half an hour before he's supposed to show-up, I get a message like "sorry m8 can't come round today, me cat got a Drumstick lolly stuck in its lug." Well, not that, but something equally contrived. Rolled my eyes and said "alright, next weekend?" and he's like "aye fine." Try to message this goober again on Friday -- no response. Hasn't even read it. Great stuff.

Another dude messages me on Friday night asking if the ad's still valid as he'd like to buy. At this point I'm like "sod it, the other dude's being a bufty" so I reply in the affirmative. Two minutes later he replies like "not interested." Get in the bin.

What is it about the act of buying things on the internet that turns people into such whompers?

It's the pictures, I'm sure. They see something new and shiny, and they go all Pardew. "I'm having that". 

Then the realisation sets in that it will cost them cash money, so they briefly weigh up the pros and cons. Then they decide they would rather have the cash money over the new shiny thing.

Down with pictures.

• Upvote 1

I'm exactly the opposite when it comes to internet purchases. I stopped using eBay for years and recently I've been back on and unable to shake my old habits of compulsive purchasing and instant payment, irrespective of need. Most recent example - I have always loved Sigg water bottles and I had one back in the day when I inter railed round Europe which has somehow got lost in the many flat moves since. In my return to eBay, over the past six weeks, I am now the proud owner of twelve water bottles. What the fuck do I need twelve water bottles for? I bid on a Hello Kitty one when I was drunk on a stag do last weekend and woke up to find I'd won. The same thing happened a few years ago with whistles. I have more whistles than a coach could ever possibly need, and I use precisely one of them. Pay as soon as the response comes through and it's done.

• Upvote 1

It's great as a buyer. Selling is a minefield. The Ebay Community Forums just seems to be thread after thread of "Well, I got fucked over again".

Ebay have given all the power to the buyer, and as a seller, you're treated as a criminal until your item has been signed for special delivery by the buyer. Even then, the buyer could claim there's a turd in the jiffy bag, provide no such proof of the turd, get all their money back whilst keeping the item, and you're left with a 'money back guarantee' bill from Ebay and you've just given your stuff away for free.

Ebay was a last resort. I tried to sell my gear to that Ramjam shop. They said they'd get back to me. Now they just ignore my messages. Cheers guys.

Edited by Soda van Jerk
  • Upvote 1

Jumping on the "getting fucked about with online sales" bandwagon, I got hit with a classic at the weekend.  I turned up on Saturday to collect an item I'd found on Gumtree, I'd texted the seller 30mins previous saying I was on my way as they stated "anytime this afternoon is fine" an hour earlier.  When I found the address no one was in and seller's phone went straight to voice mail.  I checked with some locals and found out that the item I was buying was collected earlier that day and the seller had gone out about 30mins ago...... what a bellend!

4 minutes ago, Cabbage said:

Jumping on the "getting fucked about with online sales" bandwagon, I got hit with a classic at the weekend.  I turned up on Saturday to collect an item I'd found on Gumtree, I'd texted the seller 30mins previous saying I was on my way as they stated "anytime this afternoon is fine" an hour earlier.  When I found the address no one was in and seller's phone went straight to voice mail.  I checked with some locals and found out that the item I was buying was collected earlier that day and the seller had gone out about 30mins ago...... what a bellend!

At least you know where he lives now, for the inevitable shitting through the letter box.

4 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

At least you know where he lives now, for the inevitable shitting through the letter box.

I just don't get the logic, he had 2 choices; send a wee text "it's sold" or get in the car and leave the house for a few hours, switch off the phone and hope that I'm not there when he gets back.  

15 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Would have been great if you and the other buyer turned up at the same time, and mutually realised he was playing you off against each other. You could have joined forces and rushed him.

Then a twofer through his letterbox.

Could have gotten messy, there was a lot of money on the table and some pretty hot goods.  It's not often you get a chance to get your hands on a rabbit hutch for thirty pounds.  

• Upvote 3

Turns out I can't just cancel and re-list my item on Ebay. I have to open a case against this shithouse and give him an extra 4 days to pay before ebay will close it off and deduct the fees. He probably can't even read any of my messages, because he's French.

What a pain in the hoop. Ebay is weird.

• Upvote 1

I asked the mods to move this and they didn't so I shall repost it here. Damn lazy mods. In my day it would have been moved in ten minutes. 

I've never had any bother on eBay. Minimum whompers. Everybody has always paid on time, only a couple people kicking off because the item wasn't as described when it arrived, both times because I didn't wrap it properly and it got damaged in transit.  I've generally never had any problems selling gear, only once, a guy got in touch with me on Gumtree about a guitar I was selling, he was in Edinburgh, we agreed prices and I agreed to drive down to Dundee to meet him halfway, then when I met him in Dundee he turned into a tyre-kicker and started trying to talk the  price down. One of his arguments was "I've spent £40 on petrol to get here and back" . Firstly so have I, secondly that in no way affects the value of my guitar, cunt-lugs. I ended up giving it to him for about €40 less then we agreed, then me and my friend on an impulse drove down to T In The Park, spent all the guitar money on two single-day tickets from a tout (I paid for hers too), got to the gate, got told they were fake and saw them torn up in front our eyes. Got back in the car and drove back to Aberdeen with no money, less one guitar, and having spent the price of a tank of petrol to drive to Perth and back. BEST DAY EVER.