aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

They're the ones you want to keep in with too, the mid 30's mothers. They've got their first kids so they're pretty busy and they don't get out that much. The kids are driving a wedge between them and their husbands. Little bit of attention and flirting Jan-Nov and then it comes to the Christmas party, they get pished for the first time in a year. Before you know it - BOOM - you're plunging them behind the bins out the back of the hotel.

Shabba!

• Upvote 6

They're just humouring you, they all think you're a fiddie kiddler.

I did take it too far when I took off my shirt, undressed the baby and held it to my chest saying "look ladies, skin on skin, isn't it so beautiful? Look at how small he looks next to my biceps"

I was trying to be arty but they read it different.

• Upvote 3

I'm leaving from Waverley Station which is a 2 minute walk from my office, so I took all my stuff with me, so as not to require a trip to Leith and back. Most people are off home now so it's just me. I've got the carry out I prepared for the train, and i'm increasingly tempted to get fired into it.

We got to leave at 12 last year, but a message went around to the managers to say we have to be staffed until the end of the normal core hours.

I did fuck all today. I put one letter into an envelope. Then I put that envelope into the mail bag. It was torture. I was finally released from my boredom at 3:30pm

Similar story of crippling boredom at my work. I always plan the things I'll get done in these quiet times but when it comes around I just go with staring out the window and walking into other people's offices for the Christmas chat.

We got to leave at 12 last year, but a message went around to the managers to say we have to be staffed until the end of the normal core hours.

I did fuck all today. I put one letter into an envelope. Then I put that envelope into the mail bag. It was torture. I was finally released from my boredom at 3:30pm

It's still the council you work for, isn't it?

Psht. I mean, I got to dodder around a little bit for the last 30/45 minutes of my work today but it was the busiest it's been this year from around 10.30am til 5.30pm. I was at the till non-stop from 2pm til my break at 5pm. It doesn't look like you're doing much but standing in one spot for three hours really cramps the fuck out of your legs.

In at 9.30am tomorrow as well. That's my pet hate for today. Having to get up at early-ass-o' clock on Christmas Eve. Still, 6pm tomorrow and the food and booze-athon can begin!

'Vino' instead of 'Wine'. Its pretty common on Facebook right now.

'Turkey burned, everyone arguing, time for el vino' - fuck off and say wine or don't say anything at all.

Agreed. It's particularly horrific when said dipshits are explaining the previous night's drinking session. "And El Vino did flow!" (usually in a rubbish Alan Partridge voice). Shut the fuck up.

The Train Line. Sold me tickets for a connection train from York to home that wasn't ever due to be running, and was taken off the Christmas Timetable ages ago. You'd think whoever you'd booked your ticket with would let you know if a booked journey had been cancelled right? Wrong. Apparently not. It looked like I was due to be stuck in York at 9pm on Christmas Eve. There was another train to Leeds leaving that I wasn't booked on but hopped on anyway. The conductor wanted me to pay full fare, but I yelled for a bit about how my connection was axed without warning, and he went away. Even when I got to Leeds, I was still a £50 taxi away from where I wanted to be, since the birth of the baby Jesus means that all trains stop at 9:20pm on Christmas Eve, so we can all rejoice in the lord and saviour. I yelled at the Transpennine Express folk until they booked the taxi for me and paid it with the company dime. I fucking love to shout until I get what I want. I felt like that girl in Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.

The Train Line. Sold me tickets for a connection train from York to home that wasn't ever due to be running, and was taken off the Christmas Timetable ages ago. You'd think whoever you'd booked your ticket with would let you know if a booked journey had been cancelled right? Wrong. Apparently not. It looked like I was due to be stuck in York at 9pm on Christmas Eve. There was another train to Leeds leaving that I wasn't booked on but hopped on anyway. The conductor wanted me to pay full fare, but I yelled for a bit about how my connection was axed without warning, and he went away.

Sounds like you're lucky there wasn't a 'Big Man' in your carriage...

Something about this time of year turns long(er) distance travel companies into armies of dipshits. Was doing the sales desk today and Citylink and Megabus had managed to book about 20 people onto three buses that had been axed on Boxing Day three months ago. Well done guys, brilliant idea. Fortunately I'm a customer service wizard and managed to get a'bidy sorted out, but I imagine the companies'll have a few complaints on their hands tomorrow.

Right.

I don't even really know how to describe this properly, so I googled it (I didn't even really know what to search, so I looked for "sharp intake of breath for "aye" in Aberdeen" and it led me here which described it pretty well)

"the Gaelic gasp".

What IS that all about, really?!! Several of my customers seem to do it usually when I'm explaining something to them. Instead of nodding and saying "yes", they sort of just jerk their heads a bit and take a sharp breath that sort of sounds like they're saying "aye" in agreement, but also doing this at the same time. It properly annoys me. Why the fuck would you inflict a speech impediment on yourself? I'd not come across it until earlier this year, but now I just seem to hear it all the time. I've found that the usual perpetrators tend to be well-off, middle-aged women from rural areas. It can't even really be a laziness thing, I've tried describing it to folk and demonstrating it and it properly hurts your throat. Honestly. Just why?