aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Windows bastard XP System fecking Restore.

Recovered my PC (the one with a couple of design jobs on it, plus the one my iPhone is associated with) from a problem. Yaldy thought I, I have fixed it. Nope.

Can't run a repair off the Windows disc because I have a SATA drive running off a RAID controller, and it doesn't recognise anything other than IDE. Tried slip-streaming the drivers into the install disc, only to find the RAID controller driver pack is a self running .exe that you can't get the files out of.

To top it off, it is XP MCE 2005, and I don't have the proper install discs because they don't release them to the unwashed masses.

Computers are shite.

Concerned by this development. A pony tail on a bloke is the same as a tail on a pony.

You lift it up and there's an arsehole underneath.

the worst are the middle aged ones who are going severly bald. come to think of it i really hate baldies who still try and grow long hair. It really does look very silly indeed! face facts god wants you as a slaphead!

Windows bastard XP System fecking Restore.

Recovered my PC (the one with a couple of design jobs on it, plus the one my iPhone is associated with) from a problem. Yaldy thought I, I have fixed it. Nope.

Can't run a repair off the Windows disc because I have a SATA drive running off a RAID controller, and it doesn't recognise anything other than IDE. Tried slip-streaming the drivers into the install disc, only to find the RAID controller driver pack is a self running .exe that you can't get the files out of.

To top it off, it is XP MCE 2005, and I don't have the proper install discs because they don't release them to the unwashed masses.

Computers are shite.

Riiigghtt! I've got all that down pat...not!

All that means nothing to me, pure gobbledydok. Which leads me to believe I will never manage to understand home recording gear, computer recording etc etc. I did have a old tape 4 track that I managed to record a few tracks on. Never got round to mastering them down though.

Home recording (ie money wasting)story so far in no order:

Boss DR550 drum machine. Never managed to make a song pattern yet, though I have listened to the pre sets and managed to change their tempos.

Boss BR600 digital recorder. Managed to record my acoustic using built in mics, both strumming and a bit of lead. Run out of space on the thing now. Never mastered down the tracks. never managed to get the backing drums to be in time with the song. This thing seems way too hard to work.

Zoom digital rack mount for use with above BR600. Never plugged it in yet, but have mucked about with it through the mono output into my guitar amp, and made funny 'whoooo', '1,2,1.2' noises using different delays and other things on there.

Old 4 track tape recorder. Well pretty much the same as the BR600 really, expect I lent it to a friend who could use it. But he broke it, give to another mate of his to repair 6 years ago. Not seen it since.

Boss GT5 for getting all the sounds I need for playing and recording. Used 5 settings

Digitech RP20. As above

Digitech RP12. ditto

Forthoming possible purchases.

Line 6 UB (or is it Ux) 2 tone port type thing. Could this be a waste of money?

16track digital recorder. Once again, could this be a waste of money?

A condenser mic for my acoustic guitar recordings.....ha ha, right do you think that will ever happen?

Basically I hate all recording equipment or other techno gadgets that are too complicated to jus tplug in and make a noise with. In fact I hate myself for wasting so much money on gear. Will this stop me spending more in the future...no? I hate everything to do with music gear.

Boss BR600 digital recorder.

This shouldn't be difficult to use. My Boss 8-track has served me incredibly well over the years. The memory is huge but, if you're out of space, just delete some older songs. You don't even have to bother with the mastering function. As long as you can mix down the tracks correctly (using the "bounce" button).

I've never yet bothered with the mastering setting, and my recordings have always come out well. Stick with it, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

the worst are the middle aged ones who are going severly bald. come to think of it i really hate baldies who still try and grow long hair. It really does look very silly indeed! face facts god wants you as a slaphead!

And it's possible to look even worse:

When they grow a full beard to compensate.

Actually, make full beards a pet hate. It's impossible to have one and not look like a paedophile...

Escalators.

They are shaped like stairs, walk up or down them, you absolute cock.

An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You would never see an 'Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order' sign, just 'Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience'. - Mitch Hedberg

• Upvote 1

Boss BR600 digital recorder.

This shouldn't be difficult to use. My Boss 8-track has served me incredibly well over the years. The memory is huge but, if you're out of space, just delete some older songs. You don't even have to bother with the mastering function. As long as you can mix down the tracks correctly (using the "bounce" button).

I've never yet bothered with the mastering setting, and my recordings have always come out well. Stick with it, you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Yeah, the card you get with it is 128mb I believe, get a 1gb card of ebay and you'll have more space to play with.

I've also found it fairly easy to use one you've done a bit of experimenting. I haven't used the onboard drums yet, prefer to create loops and such on my PC then record them onto it.

People who walk slowly, seriously, are they so unaware of their surroundings that they can't just acknowledge the fact people are trying to get by and be nice and polite about it instead of grudgingly moving out of the way when we finally had enough of their shitty pace and try get past.

On a similar note, when i say "excuse me", i'm not just being polite, i mean "Fucking move!".

I think people who are generally so completely unaware of their surroundings are just a sheer pain in the bell and simply shouldn't be allowed outside. No exceptions. Rudeness is just escalating to astronimical levels, it is beyond unbelievable. I was in the shop this morning, and some guy had just bought his paper. He stepped a couple of steps away from the counter, starting shuffling at a fraction of a mile per hour, with his Press and Journal wide open, so nobody could get past. I mean, why? How can someone be so unaware of other people around him, that he practically comes to a halt and starts reading his paper in what is probably the narrowest aisle in the narrowest shop on the planet?

Today, at work, there was a large queue for the lift, as there always is. Some batty, dopey cow just strolls right to the front, as if we're all just stood around in reception for a bit of a lark. She gets in the elevator first, ahead of about 9 or 10 people who have been waiting since before she arrived. Now, to my knowledge, despite being a queue dodging, self important shit dome, the ettiquette for getting in a lift is that the first one in presses the buttons, including the one that holds the door open until everyone is in, so - y'know - no one gets sandwiched inbetween the closing doors. Not a chance. She steps in, stands right infront of the panel of buttons, but instead of holding the door, she starts to make a fucking phone call. Even the doors closing on someone trying to board the lift wasn't enough to remind her how much of a dippy old fuck shunt she was being, and someone had to shove her out of the way to get to the button which held the door.

That's just two examples. I experience similar goings on several times on a daily basis it seems. Insular, ignorant cum-sponges, trotting about as if no one else exists. I'm becoming more and more certain that just about everyone is an absolute bastard. It makes being a slightly courteous, reasonably polite non-shitbag completely futile, because you're not going to get it back in return.

• Upvote 1

I occasionally see people, usually females, walking public streets whilst reading books. This is ludicrous behaviour for a number of reasons.

I have actually just imagined a plain Jane type in my head who I have caught doing this on the street outside my office. I have knocked the book out of her hands and am, unfortunately, now punching her in the face.

A guy i went to school did this, walking right by my house. I find it so bizarre how you can watch where your going, concentrate on what your reading and actually remember what you've read whilst doing it.

It's showing off plain and simple. I have decided that I will strike the next person I see doing it. I have also made that decision for the next time I see someone throwing a drink (or a cup of pish) at a gig.

I think people who are generally so completely unaware of their surroundings are just a sheer pain in the bell and simply shouldn't be allowed outside. No exceptions. Rudeness is just escalating to astronimical levels, it is beyond unbelievable. I was in the shop this morning, and some guy had just bought his paper. He stepped a couple of steps away from the counter, starting shuffling at a fraction of a mile per hour, with his Press and Journal wide open, so nobody could get past. I mean, why? How can someone be so unaware of other people around him, that he practically comes to a halt and starts reading his paper in what is probably the narrowest aisle in the narrowest shop on the planet?

I suffer annoyance in this vein on a daily basis - what I want to know is, why do the slowest, shuffliest, decide to start pissing about with mobile phone so have to slow down/stop to do so RIGHT NOW-est, f**kpigs always manage to do so in the narrowest space within 100 yardsoutside of the Music Hall with the pavement narrower than Nadine Coyle's shins is prime territory for them, as is the sandwich aisle in Markies.

As the Anti-Nowhere League put it, I Hate People.

That path that goes down the side of Markies to the road between St Nicks Centre and St Nicks House. 9 times out of 10, there is an OAP couple shuffling a couple of inches per second at the most, and walking side by side. They must know how utterly slow they are going, as I'm sure they get angrily overtaken all the time, yet they still spread themselves across the whole path. I swear they just stand around that area and wait to get in your way, and you can see them before you get to the path, so you just know its going to happen. Like on Paperboy, when that kid is in the driveway on his bike. He's waiting, and you just know he's going to get all up in your grille when you're about to pass him, the smarmy cunt.

I've always thought that there should be a fast lane on the pavement, for people who aren't texting and walking or dry humping some grotty shitbag in a tracksuit, or are going to turn and look at a shop window in the middle of the path. This lane would be for no nonsense walking. No fannying about. That's my problem. There's just too much fannying about, usually inside the bus stops on Union Street. They clog up the pavements to death. Fuck that. Get rid.