aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

I live in a typical Aberdeen tenement (which I have a lot of pet hates about but I'll save those for another day), but on the subject of postmen, ours used to let himself in via the service button and put the mail though the individual doors. Now they all get dumped though the main door for people to trample on. Do you're fecking job properly and I might have some sympathy for your bloody strike!

Maybe your service button is off when they get there now?

The routes were changed about 6 months ago so where someone might have been earlier, they are now there later etc. This is supposed to be progress. ?(

Just so you know, officially we are not supposed to buzz individual tenants in flats unless they have specifically asked us to or we have a recorded/special delivery.

Some people actually complain when you buzz them to gain access to deliver their mail... then complain when they don't get it!? o_O

If your service button is definitely on at the time he is there, then he's just being a lazy cunt.

I have zero problem doing my job according to the rules and working my full hours(I rarely finish before my time now), but it is virtually impossible to do so due to minimal or no support from management and ever increasing workloads/changes.

Some of RM proposed changes will completely ruin what is already a screwed up service. If you think the quality of service is bad now, due to some of these proposed changes it's only going to get worse.

They don't give a fuck about it's workforce and they don't give a fuck about the customer.

So, being in the know or around the fringes of the know, do you really think they're gonna take action into December?

'Cos I doubt it myself. Altens mail centre is a nightmare at Xmas even when you've got the elves scampering around at full speed. Place will explode with mail, IMO.

So, being in the know or around the fringes of the know, do you really think they're gonna take action into December?

'Cos I doubt it myself. Altens mail centre is a nightmare at Xmas even when you've got the elves scampering around at full speed. Place will explode with mail, IMO.

Agreed, it'll be chaos. :down:

I can't see RM allowing it to get to that stage, so if strikes are continuing, perhaps they'll just totally disregard the union(which is what they plan to do anyway) and bring in even more temp staff etc.

Problem is, all over the country small wildcat strikes have been happening for months. There is already a big backlog from those. Add the backlog from the upcoming strikes, it's already gearing up to be a fucked up xmas.

• Upvote 1

Maybe your service button is off when they get there now?

The routes were changed about 6 months ago so where someone might have been earlier, they are now there later etc. This is supposed to be progress. ?(

Just so you know, officially we are not supposed to buzz individual tenants in flats unless they have specifically asked us to or we have a recorded/special delivery.

If your service button is definitely on at the time he is there, then he's just being a lazy cunt.

Yeah it deffinately works, I have a suspicion the problem is that its a new postie. The mail used to hit the doormat before 9 most days now we're lucky if its before lunch.

I like the way you're dealing with the stick you're getting here. I tip my hat to you for strolling around aberdeen in the snow and rain and generally shit weather, for that respect is due :gringo:

• Upvote 1

Agreed, it'll be chaos. :down:

I can't see RM allowing it to get to that stage, so if strikes are continuing, perhaps they'll just totally disregard the union(which is what they plan to do anyway) and bring in even more temp staff etc.

Problem is, all over the country small wildcat strikes have been happening for months. There is already a big backlog from those. Add the backlog from the upcoming strikes, it's already gearing up to be a fucked up xmas.

Bleh. I've got my interview for elf duty in a couple of weeks. hopefully, I can find something else before then 'cos I was doing 12 hr shifts tipping for the whole fucking contract last time and that was apparently business as usual!

It makes me feel manly. I don't like taking half-bricks off the head from angry picketers though...

Yeah it deffinately works, I have a suspicion the problem is that its a new postie. The mail used to hit the doormat before 9 most days now we're lucky if its before lunch.

I like the way you're dealing with the stick you're getting here. I tip my hat to you for strolling around aberdeen in the snow and rain and generally shit weather, for that respect is due :gringo:

When the routes changed about 6 months ago so did the start times, full time postmen don't start till 6am, on the street for approx 9:30 - 10 am, supposed to finish 13.30 - 14:15 depending on which day it is... wed - fri latest finish times.

I kinda feel sorry for new postmen, they get hardly any training on the round(s) they will deliver and little support from managers, they are essentially left to work it our for themselves. Supposing they actually give a damn.

The postie round my way dumps all his letters on the back seat of his car, parks in a street and delivers to that street. He then goes and parks maybe a couple of streets further up and does them. And so on. So all this time most of his mail is sitting in plain view on the back seat of his rusty old banger. Seems to me that this is not only lazy, but surely unsafe, and I greatly doubt he'd be covered by his insurance either.

Surely this wouldn't be recommended working practice, His Majesty? I might complain.

The postie round my way dumps all his letters on the back seat of his car, parks in a street and delivers to that street. He then goes and parks maybe a couple of streets further up and does them. And so on. So all this time most of his mail is sitting in plain view on the back seat of his rusty old banger. Seems to me that this is not only lazy, but surely unsafe, and I greatly doubt he'd be covered by his insurance either.

Surely this wouldn't be recommended working practice, His Majesty? I might complain.

Actually, I think managers love this type of worker as it saves them having to deal with his bags.

The union wants people to stop using their cars for obvious reasons, but hey, some folks like to use em.

:popcorn:

My recent gripe with Royal Mail is that an Amazon box containing two CD's CAN fit through my letterbox. So, why have I gotten a red slip through saying I have to wait 48 hours to go collect it from Ashgrove Road?! ARGH!!

I've had that before as well and had to walk up to Ashgrove at stupid o'clock in the morning on my day off in the rain just to get something that i put through my letterbox myself when i got home.

In the 2 years i've lived at my present location i've had nothing but bother post-wise. It's more miss than hit. Despite actually having a gold plated number and letter combo on my front door i still get mail for the flat across the hallway that has a different letter and number combo as well. That's along with getting mail for differing addresses that happen to have the same number/letter combo as me (despite differing post codes and street addresses).

I seriously wonder whether i am actually getting my mail delivered by a Rhesus Macaque with autism rather than a human being in possession of all of his/her faculties...

Guest idol_wild
My recent gripe with Royal Mail is that an Amazon box containing two CD's CAN fit through my letterbox. So, why have I gotten a red slip through saying I have to wait 48 hours to go collect it from Ashgrove Road?! ARGH!!

My guess is that the postman wrote out your red slip before he even set off to do the round and didn't even take the parcel (or 'packet' as the postmen like to call them) with him.

I used to witness that all the fucking time.

Look, guys, this is going to cause some controversy, but I'm just going to put this out there.

You ready? Okay:

I don't like ATMs that charge you for making withdrawals. I really don't.

Phew, glad to get that off my chest!

You are a mentalist!

But, i'm glad someone said it... I don't like that feeling of being obliged to take out more than I need just to justify the charge.

You're right, it feels good now it's in the open.

don't use those machines!!!

I swear, the worst example of this is the two outside the academy (or used to be, maybe, i haven't been out in some time.) where one is free and the other charges. I was screaming at my friend to not be an idiot and give that digital larcenist his cash but he still felt the queue was shorter...

I came home yesterday to find that Home Delivery Network Limited had tried to deliver a package while I was out. I expected to read "come and pick it up at" or "we'll try again tomorrow" on the slip they had left, so I was quite surprised when I read "It is in a safe place - round back beneath barbeque". Upon investigaing I found that the delivery guy had in fact, gone round the back of the house, spotted a barbeque with a waterproof sheet over it, put the parcel in the bottom shelf of the barbeque (off the ground), replaced the waterproof sheet on all sides and actually put rocks over the sheet to stop it from blowing away.

I was quite happy, they never normally go to that much trouble :up:

Of course had it gone missing it would have been a different story.

Actually, my current pet hate is how ridiculously complicated Cubase is. Trying to set up a midi controller so that each button, slider and knob does what i want it to do shouldn't involve as much faffing around surely. Fuck off .xml files I don't want to import you, I'm not even entirely sure what you are!!!

don't use those machines!!!

I swear, the worst example of this is the two outside the academy (or used to be, maybe, i haven't been out in some time.) where one is free and the other charges. I was screaming at my friend to not be an idiot and give that digital larcenist his cash but he still felt the queue was shorter...

Ha ha yeah. The free one is normally broken or takes your card and doesn't give you any money in my experience though. Also the free one usually has a hobo beside it.....

Naturally I'd just use the one outside RGUnion :p

My post arrives at 8-30 AM some days and as late as 2PM on others! and I only live literally 30 secs from the sorting office.

I sent something to a friend in the Highlands at 5PM one Friday night and he received it the next morning yet my Love Film DVD's can take 2-3 days to get here from Peterborough which is just over an hours drive away!

bit of consistency would be nice Royal Mail!!!

Actually, my current pet hate is how ridiculously complicated Cubase is. Trying to set up a midi controller so that each button, slider and knob does what i want it to do shouldn't involve as much faffing around surely. Fuck off .xml files I don't want to import you, I'm not even entirely sure what you are!!!

Stick to Reason, or buy the manual

you massive pirate