aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

Y'know what I really hate?

People who constantly address others who are not immediate family or loved ones as "love", "honey" or "sweetie".

There are two or three girls at my work who do this and it really grinds my fucking gears! Every fourth word seems to be "love" or "honey".

Anyone else share this pet hate?

People who constantly address others who are not immediate family or loved ones as "love", "honey" or "sweetie".

There are two or three girls at my work who do this and it really grinds my fucking gears! Every fourth word seems to be "love" or "honey".

kinda do now you mention it.....Think "hun" is my pet hate....

Guest Tam o' Shantie

1. Person one says something.

2. Person two makes a funny but subtle remark in response. Something which is funnier because it wasn't stated in an obvious way, so you didn't 'get it' until you thought about it.

3. Person one reiterates the remark, stating the joke in the most painfully obvious way, even though everyone listening got it the first time. Then acts like they made the funny comment.

So annoying.

Also, generic acoustic acts covering things like heavy metal songs...wow the irony...don't you get it? A soulful female guitar player, on Radio 1's live lounge playing a song that was originally really loud and energetic - by jove that's brilliant...FUCK OFF

Oh, and people who use the word 'literally' for emphasis when they actually mean it in an entirely non-literal way.

eg. "God, you should have seen how angry he was. There was literally steam coming out of his ears"

What?! No there wasn't, because such a thing is medically impossible. What you meant to say was figuritively speaking, but since most people would assume that anyway, there was no need to use any word whatsoever. GRRRRR

People who say "grinds my gears" is my pet hate! :laughing:

Guest idol_wild
People who say "grinds my gears" is my pet hate! :laughing:

It's funny, because I knew someone would refer to the initial post and use that as a source for pet hates.

Though I expected:

"My pet hate is when people start stupid forum threads about pet hates".

But hey.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

"Darling" in an an Aberdeen/North East accent. I actually thought about this yesterday. I was walking out the building, and this woman at the reception desk saw the woman who I'd just came out into the foyer with at the same time and said (and imagine, Aberdeen accent):

"Oh hiya darrrrlllllen. Are we just eatin' here?"

Oh that does my fucking nut in. My brother calls his kids "darling" and it sounds ridiculous. He's obviously picked it up from his wife who is from Longside, verging on being a Peterheader.

My brother, a grown man, would have been a right lad in his day, saying "No, darlin' don't put your hand in the fire" or something similar in his tcheuchter accent just sounds wrong.

I also agree with "hun" (especially), "honey" and all such sweet nothings that people say to absolutely everyone they ever speak to. My hairdresser said it to me once - the first time I met her. Wait a minute, why are you calling me "hun"? I don't even fucking know you.*

Had she been hot, I would have let her off, but she wasn't...

1. Person one says something.

2. Person two makes a funny but subtle remark in response. Something which is funnier because it wasn't stated in an obvious way, so you didn't 'get it' until you thought about it.

3. Person one reiterates the remark, stating the joke in the most painfully obvious way, even though everyone listening got it the first time. Then acts like they made the funny comment.

So annoying.

Oh, and people who use the word 'literally' for emphasis when they actually mean it in an entirely non-literal way.

eg. "God, you should have seen how angry he was. There was literally steam coming out of his ears"

What?! No there wasn't, because such a thing is medically impossible. What you meant to say was figuritively speaking, but since most people would assume that anyway, there was no need to use any word whatsoever. GRRRRR

I espcially agree on those two. I remember in WWE good ol' JR always used to say that two wrestlers were "literally beating the hell out of each other". Now that would be worth seeing.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Another one:

People who use the words 'basically', 'actually' and/or 'obviously' like 40 times within the space of a phone call or whatever. It's insane! BUT SO MANY PEOPLE DO IT. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I garauntee that you will notice someone doing it within a day of reading this.

"Well, basically, he phoned me up and he was basically asking blah blah. And basically..."

Another one:

People who use the words 'basically', 'actually' and/or 'obviously' like 40 times within the space of a phone call or whatever. It's insane! BUT SO MANY PEOPLE DO IT. If you don't know what I'm talking about, I garauntee that you will notice someone doing it within a day of reading this.

"Well, basically, he phoned me up and he was basically asking blah blah. And basically..."

It all sounds very Vicky Pollard doesn't it?

I hate the "is it?" cockney type thing. When I was visiting my mate in London last year, I was telling one of the girls that I'd just phoned and told my boss I wouldn't be coming back to work. And her reply was "Is it?". ?(

My biggest pet hate in terms of annoying phrases is when people say "He turned around and said" as in "he turned round and said he didn't know anything about it, so I turned round and called him a cunt"... why are these people turning round all the time? Do people not face each other when they are having conversations any more?

Guest Tam o' Shantie
It all sounds very Vicky Pollard doesn't it?

I hate the "is it?" cockney type thing. When I was visiting my mate in London last year, I was telling one of the girls that I'd just phoned and told my boss I wouldn't be coming back to work. And her reply was "Is it?". ?(

I actually thought that was more of a South African English thing. And Indian English.

Also, generic acoustic acts covering things like heavy metal songs...wow the irony...don't you get it? A soulful female guitar player, on Radio 1's live lounge playing a song that was originally really loud and energetic - by jove that's brilliant...FUCK OFF

Aereogramme's cover of Slayer's Disciple is one of the greatest cover songs ever recorded :up:

I hate girls who quote from the TV series 'Friends' in their everyday conversation

And the fact that everyone over uses the phrase "you know" or "ken fit i mean" after or during a sentence....

You know?

It's nae "ken fit i mean" though is it? It's more "kenfitamean, min"

Guest idol_wild
My biggest pet hate in terms of annoying phrases is when people say "He turned around and said" as in "he turned round and said he didn't know anything about it, so I turned round and called him a cunt"... why are these people turning round all the time? Do people not face each other when they are having conversations any more?

This is a good one. Everyone involved must be getting awfully dizzy!