aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

It really gets on my tits that so many cinemas have combined their ticket and concessions stands, so if like me you don't want snacks or drinks (or you sneak your own in) and just want to pick up tickets you still have to join the queue behind all the popcorn-munchers. As the "menu" at cinemas increases so does the queuing time as the staff are filling up gallon cups of coke and pumping shit like fucking cheese and ketchup onto nachos and hot dogs. One of the ones near me even does chips. Fucking chips in a cinema! I get a special deal with my phone network, 2 tickets for €10 Sun-Thu, which considering one ticket is €13, is quite a saving. The only drawback is that you can't pre-book, and you can't use the ticket machines, you have to just buy at the counter, which means queuing and I've never stood for less than five minutes. I got pissed off with all the queuing, and I go once a week anyway so I bought me and my wife Unlimited cards, which is €46 a month for two (so actually costs a little bit more) to try and skip the queues, so I can book online then just pick up at the ticket machine. Nope, doesn't work, because the machines won't do anything unless you have the card you used to buy your tickets which I didn't do BECAUSE I HAVE A FUCKING UNLIMITED CARD. So to get my tickets printed I still have to queue behind the popcorn-munchers. Fuck Odeon and fuck the popcorn-munchers. Also fuck anyone who buys chips in a cinema.

Edited by Lemonade

43 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

It really gets on my tits that so many cinemas have combined their ticket and concessions stands, so if like me you don't want snacks or drinks (or you sneak your own in) and just want to pick up tickets you still have to join the queue behind all the popcorn-munchers. As the "menu" at cinemas increases so does the queuing time as the staff are filling up gallon cups of coke and pumping shit like fucking cheese and ketchup onto nachos and hot dogs. One of the ones near me even does chips. Fucking chips in a cinema! I get a special deal with my phone network, 2 tickets for €10 Sun-Thu, which considering one ticket is €13, is quite a saving. The only drawback is that you can't pre-book, and you can't use the ticket machines, you have to just buy at the counter, which means queuing and I've never stood for less than five minutes. I got pissed off with all the queuing, and I go once a week anyway so I bought me and my wife Unlimited cards, which is €46 a month for two (so actually costs a little bit more) to try and skip the queues, so I can book online then just pick up at the ticket machine. Nope, doesn't work, because the machines won't do anything unless you have the card you used to buy your tickets which I didn't do BECAUSE I HAVE A FUCKING UNLIMITED CARD. So to get my tickets printed I still have to queue behind the popcorn-munchers. Fuck Odeon and fuck the popcorn-munchers. Also fuck anyone who buys chips in a cinema.

Sounds like you have a...chip on your shoulder.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Gypsum_Fantastic said:

Sounds like you have a...chip on your shoulder.

I hate you.

Also the Odeon website tells me that I can just put my Unlimited card into the machine and it works the same, so Pet Hate negated. But my card hasn't arrived yet, so still a bit valid. The popcorn-munchers can eat my dick.

14 minutes ago, Lemonade said:

I hate you.

Also the Odeon website tells me that I can just put my Unlimited card into the machine and it works the same, so Pet Hate negated. But my card hasn't arrived yet, so still a bit valid. The popcorn-munchers can eat my dick.

I have one for Cineworld. Forgot it once and they wouldn't let me in. Surely they can look me up on the system? The system which has my photo stored on it. Nope pay full price Sir. No fuck you i'm going to the pub.

• Upvote 1

Pet hate right now is saying words here in Poland, not knowing that it doesn't exist and therefore people don't understand what I mean.

a few recent examples:

I made a joke about heroin being 'moreish' - got blank stares. Turns out moreish isn't a word in Polish English

Neither is 'Squint' - as in 'move that picture on the wall, it's squint'.

It was assumed when I said 'Kitchen Roll' that i wanted some sort of sandwich

Every time it happens I reflect on all of the occasions i've gotten a blank stare and wonder what they thought I was saying.

9 minutes ago, ca_gere said:

I made a joke about heroin being 'moreish' - got blank stares. Turns out moreish isn't a word in Polish English

Fuckin' whit?

9 minutes ago, ca_gere said:

Fucking WHIT?

10 minutes ago, ca_gere said:

Eh? Fit do they call it?

b0b.png

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, ca_gere said:

Pet hate right now is saying words here in Poland, not knowing that it doesn't exist and therefore people don't understand what I mean.

a few recent examples:

Every time it happens I reflect on all of the occasions i've gotten a blank stare and wonder what they thought I was saying.

I've been in your Polish nation for last couple of months, albeit in the lower regions. And while I'm with you on polish to polish translations, my main pet hate here is still toilets with 2 inch gaps all around the door, the door which is also barely chest height, so if crack peeping isn't enough, just pop your head over for a good look. 

2 hours ago, HeinzHines said:

I've been in your Polish nation for last couple of months, albeit in the lower regions. And while I'm with you on polish to polish translations, my main pet hate here is still toilets with 2 inch gaps all around the door, the door which is also barely chest height, so if crack peeping isn't enough, just pop your head over for a good look. 

Just go the whole roaster and take a shit in the urinal, that'll learn them.

2 hours ago, HeinzHines said:

There's nothing quite like fleetingly staring a man square in the eyes as he crimps off a curler.

The toilet door thing I really don't understand. I want to be hermetically sealed in when i'm taking a shit. Keeps smells in and eyes out. At my office I go two flights downstairs to the disabled toilet (sue me) for some privacy. 

6 hours ago, ca_gere said:

a few recent examples:

"Gangway for foot-cycle!"

I was afraid of having this happen to me when I moved, but in Northern Poland, the language is a little bit more like home. They say 'receipt', you ask for the 'bill' in restaurants and they don't take the 'u' out of certain words. Even when you say a word that they don't say over here, they at least know what you're talking about or get it from context. Any time I've encountered a native of your Poland, they DO look at you like you're mental. 
I've found myself adjusting my vocabulary a bit, though: room-mate, apartment, garbage. 

I called a bin a 'bucket' down here in the Right Wing Republic of Poland just the other day. A definite "u wot m8" moment.

I need to keep stopping myself from saying "through the house" as a way of saying "somewhere else in the building but here", because that's not a thing here. I've never heard it anywhere but Aberdeen actually. I partially said it the other day as well, when someone asked where the water cooler was. "Just through the hoooooallway".  Saying "through the house" probably would have been better than ending up saying "through the hallway" and saying "hallway" like I had lost control of my mouth.

• Upvote 1

One that i never knew was Aberdonian until someone from non-aberdeeen got arsey when i said it was 'Go and...'

e.g. 'go and pass us the ketchup please'

it sounds really rude if you break it down. YOU! GO! GET ME KETCHUP! but with a sarcastic please.

@kirsten it's definitely more similar to British Polish in Lithuania but i'm sure you'll get the odd one that'll stump you.

There's a bunch of obvious ones like pavement/sidewalk that everyone knows but nobody tells you about the other ones until you use one and get laughed at.

here's a few more that people have either not understood or laughed at:

Bouncy castle (bounce house)

Fire Brigade (fire dept)

Washing Up Liquid (dish soap)

Wheelie bin (no translation)

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Soda van Jerk said:

I called a bin a 'bucket' down here in the Right Wing Republic of Poland just the other day. A definite "u wot m8" moment.

I need to keep stopping myself from saying "through the house" as a way of saying "somewhere else in the building but here", because that's not a thing here. I've never heard it anywhere but Aberdeen actually. I partially said it the other day as well, when someone asked where the water cooler was. "Just through the hoooooallway".  Saying "through the house" probably would have been better than ending up saying "through the hallway" and saying "hallway" like I had lost control of my mouth.

The losing control of one's mouth thing I can definitely relate to. It happens every time i want to say 'Disorientated'. Here they say 'Disoriented' so I land somewhere in the middle and kinda say 'disorient.......ed'. Every time.

Similar with 'Addictive'. It's a word that exists but just isn't used. They'll say 'Addicting', as in 'heroin is addicting' so I end up saying 'addict...ing'

20 minutes ago, ca_gere said:

One that i never knew was Aberdonian until someone from non-aberdeeen got arsey when i said it was 'Go and...'

e.g. 'go and pass us the ketchup please'

it sounds really rude if you break it down. YOU! GO! GET ME KETCHUP! but with a sarcastic please.

@kirsten it's definitely more similar to British Polish in Lithuania but i'm sure you'll get the odd one that'll stump you.

There's a bunch of obvious ones like pavement/sidewalk that everyone knows but nobody tells you about the other ones until you use one and get laughed at.

here's a few more that people have either not understood or laughed at:

Bouncy castle (bounce house)

Fire Brigade (fire dept)

Washing Up Liquid (dish soap)

Wheelie bin (no translation)

I heard some Americans on a podcast ridicule a British guy on a podcast for saying "In hospital" instead of "in the hospital" and "drink driving" instead of "drunk driving" . Try those and report back. 

Only thing I have to watch here is the word data which is pronounced dah-ta instead of day-ta.  Given that I work as a data analyst, it comes up a lot. Also they say pants for trousers. 

8 hours ago, ca_gere said:

a few recent examples:

In parts of Southern Poland they call Polyfila "'spackle'

God forsaken savages...

12 hours ago, ca_gere said:

Haha, I have a Polish American colleague, who, having heard the word a few times, had assumed it was "Moor-ish". Like something to do with the Moors. Eventually it was explained.