aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

On 01/08/2016 at 11:44 PM, Lemonade said:

Went out Friday night with a guy from work who I thought seemed like a stand up dude until a few pints in when he started tossing out racial slurs. 

Another guy from work who I get on really well with started sharing pro-life posts on Facebook this evening.

Apparently I'm a poor judge of character. 

I work with people who voted for Brexit.

30 minutes ago, Hakuba Mountain Wizards said:

I once saw that someone had a shortcut to "show desktop" on their desktop.

10 hours ago, Lemonade said:

I saw someone type "Google" into the Google Chrome search bar today. 

I work with all of these folk, in the IT department of a multi-national company.

• Upvote 1

I worked with a guy that took his work laptop home and used it as his home laptop. Our work's servers were almost always at a standstill. The laptops routinely backed-up to the server. The silly cunt had used the sync-ing folders for his itunes library, movies, photos. Basically there were two of each folder, one that would, and one that wouldn't sync. He put all his home stuff in the one that would sync. 

• Upvote 1

AGFW almost made me explode!!!!!!

AGFW is notoriously bad at explaining issues. Everyone knows this. His descriptions are completely lacking and he often needs someone else to explain the issue for him.

So today I'm in the kitchen getting coffee and he comes in, to get a fucking cup of tea, and says "The worst part about this job is trying to figure out what *other worker* is taliking about."

My fucking head was close to fucking exploding...but then...I look over...and he's literally holding a fucking black kettle.

Fuck me. Right in the fucking eyes.

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Teabags said:

AGFW almost made me explode!!!!!!

AGFW is notoriously bad at explaining issues. Everyone knows this. His descriptions are completely lacking and he often needs someone else to explain the issue for him.

So today I'm in the kitchen getting coffee and he comes in, to get a fucking cup of tea, and says "The worst part about this job is trying to figure out what *other worker* is taliking about."

My fucking head was close to fucking exploding...but then...I look over...and he's literally holding a fucking black kettle.

Fuck me. Right in the fucking eyes.

You're living your own personal Truman Show/Teabags Show.

I hear you, chum. I recently secured myself some decent employment, but before I did, a lot of my 2016 was applying and interviewing. One particular job I applied for required a three-stage interview process. For the final interview in front of the managing director, I was asked in advance to read Stephen R Covey's book 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and apply my understanding of the seven habits to the role I was applying for, and create a PowerPoint presentation accordingly.

The job was for an executive assistant for an independent property management firm. Which, in effect, means a jumped up PA.

Three feckin' interviews and a PowerPoint presentation.

Interviews can absolutely get to fuck.

• Upvote 2

Interviews have gone completely over the top. The amount of pointless shit you get asked and questions designed to trip you up. And there's all this etiquette I didn't know about. Take everybody's business cards and you're supposed to send a follow up email thanking them for meeting you and reiterate your interest in the job. And so much preparation. What happened to just "why do you want the job and tell me why you'd be good at it"? One site told me to look up a company's financial performance so you can impress and/or flatter them when they ask what you know about the company. I wouldn't hire that cunt. I blame LinkedIn for all of this. 

59 minutes ago, Eupraxia said:

I hear you, chum. I recently secured myself some decent employment, but before I did, a lot of my 2016 was applying and interviewing. One particular job I applied for required a three-stage interview process. For the final interview in front of the managing director, I was asked in advance to read Stephen R Covey's book 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and apply my understanding of the seven habits to the role I was applying for, and create a PowerPoint presentation accordingly.

The job was for an executive assistant for an independent property management firm. Which, in effect, means a jumped up PA.

Three feckin' interviews and a PowerPoint presentation.

Interviews can absolutely get to fuck.

That is insane. At the point a book was produced I'd be like "nah m8. L8rs". 

Admittedly, I gleaned some useful things from the book, but the interview process struck me as a bit of an ego trip for the managing director. I and two others got to final interview and presentation stage, and the director didn't appoint any of us, stating: "I must admit to not really knowing what it was I was looking for in the candidate."

Habit number two of 7 Habits of Highly Effective People is: Begin with the end in mind.

Either irony is lost on him, or he's quite the enjoyer of elaborate trolling.

• Upvote 6

+1 for interviews being utter garbage. Had a number of them in the last few months since relocating south. 

I had one a few weeks back that was a panel of five. FIVE. It was an admin job for Bristol council. 20k a year. Totally over the top. Who do you look at? Trying to compose your answer whilst sharing eye contact with five people is enough to give you a bout of vertigo.

and the questions you get now. One question at the above mentioned interview was "give an example of when you have had to demonstrate a culture of respect".

U wot m8?

You spend a few hours preparing a spiel or two about how your skills are suited to the job description, but during the course of the interview I usually feel that I have not had a question where I can really demonstrate that. Too many hypothetical examples of really particular scenarios in previous jobs and little focus on your qualities, achievements and such. I could have boasted for ages about how in my last job, an administrative function didn't exist at all, and I had to build one from nothing whilst surrounded by senior staff who had been thrusted in to this new department whilst knowing nothing about it. But how can I boast that when I am being asked "Give an example of when you had to give constructive criticism to a colleague" or "how do you deal with confidentiality?". It's like interviewers really do want to learn as little as possible about you and by the end of the process still have no clue who, out of a shortlist of 10, is best suited for the job.

A waste of everyone's time. Job interviews should be a caged battle royale between the candidates. Last man standing wins the lot. You'd probably learn more about someone from how good they are at knocking people out than some innocuous, HR composed, padded-out bullshit like "describe your understanding of the data protection act and give an example of when this has had an effect on your decision making". It's nonsense. 

• Upvote 3

Seen that program on 4, The Job Interview? Some of the business owners seem pretty decent. One guy got hired cause when they asked him if he could have any superpower, he said "Russia".

Then again, some of the interviewees are terrible. Tell me where you would like to go to eat, anywhere in the world and we'll pay for it. The bloke said he'd just order a dominos. The job was some high end food/drink place.

But there was one interviewer who gave them a phone and then rung it pretending to be a disgruntled customer asking where they delivery driver was. He wouldn't let her put him on hold. Now, as anyone knows, if you want to phone someone who isn't there, maybe a van driver, you'd have to put who you're talking to on hold. And he was having none of it. When they said sorry he was like "dont be sorry just fix it!" the folk that pretended to ask around the office got top marks. I felt like some of them should have asked for his supervisor and phoned them complaining about abuse. Fuck that noise.