aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Android devices, and their knack of prompting me that EVERY APP ON YOUR DEVICE NEEDS TO BE UPDATED ALL AT THE SAME TIME, SO I WILL DO THAT FOR YOU NOW, ONE BY ONE, AND YOUR DEVICE WILL BE TOTALLY UNUSABLE UNTIL I AM FINISHED like, once weekly. Pretty much everytime I turn my tablet on, everything needs to update immediately, and it just grinds to a laggy halt until every app has been done.

At least my iPhone asks me if I want to update, and I can just delay it forever. 

5 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

Android devices, and their knack of prompting me that EVERY APP ON YOUR DEVICE NEEDS TO BE UPDATED ALL AT THE SAME TIME, SO I WILL DO THAT FOR YOU NOW, ONE BY ONE, AND YOUR DEVICE WILL BE TOTALLY UNUSABLE UNTIL I AM FINISHED like, once weekly. Pretty much everytime I turn my tablet on, everything needs to update immediately, and it just grinds to a laggy halt until every app has been done.

At least my iPhone asks me if I want to update, and I can just delay it forever.

Ughhh, it's the worst! The keyboard on my old android phone was terrible, so I downloaded a better one (Swiftkey, dead good), which would always inevitably update when I was in the middle of typing a long text or writing out another solid gold post on Aberdeen-Music. So I'd shut everything off and wait for it, then once it had updated, it'd default back to the keyboard that came with the phone and I'd have to set it back to the good keyboard EVERY TIME. 

I'm enjoying having an iPhone again, even though autocorrect is a billion times more ridiculous than I remember.

12 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

This is slightly related to a pet hate of mine; Turning up to someone's house and within the same sentence as "Hi, how are you" getting "could you have a look at my ipad/phone/computer/laptop/internet, it's not working".  Normally its due to all genuine updates being ignored but instead installing every search toolbar available and letting every spam advert site setting itself as your homepage... 

On 09/06/2016 at 9:17 AM, MattJimF said:

In Play store, go to settings tap Auto-update apps, select Do not auto-update apps. Then tick App updates available under notifications.

Done this. It doesn't auto-update (most) downloaded apps. It auto-updates all the stock ones. Browser, e-reader, image viewer etc. I have a couple of downloaded apps that override the Play Store settings. Comixology has to update about 10 times a week and does so at will, Sky Go slightly less, but still plentiful.

On 5/25/2016 at 10:04 AM, Lemonade said:

I asked the mods to move this and they didn't so I shall repost it here. Damn lazy mods. In my day it would have been moved in ten minutes. 

I've never had any bother on eBay. Minimum whompers. Everybody has always paid on time, only a couple people kicking off because the item wasn't as described when it arrived, both times because I didn't wrap it properly and it got damaged in transit.  I've generally never had any problems selling gear, only once, a guy got in touch with me on Gumtree about a guitar I was selling, he was in Edinburgh, we agreed prices and I agreed to drive down to Dundee to meet him halfway, then when I met him in Dundee he turned into a tyre-kicker and started trying to talk the  price down. One of his arguments was "I've spent £40 on petrol to get here and back" . Firstly so have I, secondly that in no way affects the value of my guitar, cunt-lugs. I ended up giving it to him for about €40 less then we agreed, then me and my friend on an impulse drove down to T In The Park, spent all the guitar money on two single-day tickets from a tout (I paid for hers too), got to the gate, got told they were fake and saw them torn up in front our eyes. Got back in the car and drove back to Aberdeen with no money, less one guitar, and having spent the price of a tank of petrol to drive to Perth and back. BEST DAY EVER. 

please dont tell me that was the white squier strat 

When people agree to sales and then try to drive the price down once meeting them is a pure cunt move, and you're actually made to feel like a shyster for saying no when asked "will you take £xx.xx for it?"

Haggle first. Then meet and complete. If anyone tries to do the opposite, you should also do the opposite and start to drive the price up and you won't accept less.

17 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

When people agree to sales and then try to drive the price down once meeting them is a pure cunt move, and you're actually made to feel like a shyster for saying no when asked "will you take £xx.xx for it?"

Haggle first. Then meet and complete. If anyone tries to do the opposite, you should also do the opposite and start to drive the price up and you won't accept less.

Gum tree exchanges are terrible for this. 

Also, looking around all your other stuff asking how much you want for it - like your living room is some sort of pop up store.

fuck off, cunts.

Pictures. Do people not look at pictures on gumtree? one of the wee knobby things was missing off an acoustic bass i was selling. this was visible in the picture and mentioned in the post. the bloke drove up, looked at my bass, then said "nahh its too much work" and left. so i went to R'n'b, spent about a quid on the wee knobby thing and sold it to ii instead. done. Got less than i was asking for ('cause ii need to make a profit, i watch pawn stars, i know how this shit works) but there wasn't umming and ahhing and fannying about. i even haggled a new set of strings on top of the price ii gave me. I happily sell things for less than they're worth just to avoid dealing with the public. i hardly ever sell games privately. just trade them in to buy new ones. people are shit unless they're behind the till with a computer telling them what stuff's worth.

I hate how utterly useless technology is if you lose or break the remote control. I have an ipod speaker dock that you can also plug a tablet or laptop or whatever else in to via the Aux input. I drowned  the remote control by accident and now I can't do anything with it except switch it off and on. Can't change input, turn the volume up or down, nothing. My TV is the same. I lost the remote for that last year and rendered it entirely useless. I don't think it even has an on button. 

• 4 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

The heat. Fuck the heat. 35 degrees down here in Poland of Somerset today. Not a cloud or any sign of a breeze all day. Absolutely brutal.

Totally sapped of energy. I almost fell asleep standing in the shower about half an hour ago.

'Only' 26 here but it's enough. I'm enjoying my office's aircon but I hate my house.