aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Thinking an ASOS voucher, but she likes "personal" gifts that a lot of thought has gone into it.

Realise you said she has allergies, but does she like/can she eat cake?  Lots of places do vouchers for afternoon tea these days.  Or a voucher towards a nice meal somewhere?

Does she like going to the theatre or anything?  I've bought Ticketmaster / Aberdeen Box Office vouchers for my Mum in the past so she can go see touring shows at HMT or in Edinburgh.

Here's your answer: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dear-Tree-design-Journals-Lifetime/dp/1907048006/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1438268173&sr=8-7&keywords=mum+book

Get her this and make her a card with a home made voucher in it which entitles her to lunch or high tea or dinner or drinks or a spa day at anywhere of her choosing. Explain that you're gonna have a day out and you're gonna fill it out together on that day. Basically, you'll spend the whole day learning things that you never knew about your mum, and capturing them all in the book. And all for a tenner plus whatever activity she wants to do. That's personal, because of the conversation and the process and personalised because she selects where you do it.

There used to be this ace website called wantful.com. You basically chose a bunch of gifts and put together a catalogue specific for one person - had basic 'design' tools too so you could customize/personalize it. Then the recipient gets a beautifully packaged catalogue with their name on it, they flick though and decide themselves which 1, 2 or however many gifts you paid for to get from it. It was both personal/thoughtful and fail-safe in case of grumps/whinge-merchants such as yer maw.

pet hate: they went under

I guess the fact that people would only really use it as a gift once (thereafter it's no longer a novel idea) meant it wasn't a sustainable business. Maybe there's an alternative out there.

Cyclists who dress like they're in the fucking Tour de France to cycle home from work. You do not need to wear bright green Lycra and be covered head to toe in slogans to cycle through the city. You cunt. Full kit cyclist wanker.

Heaven forbid anyone dresses appropriately for their hobby or shows support for a sport they enjoy.

Just like the stupid bastards in Barca tops and footy shorts for a game of fives. You can still kick a ball in jeans for fuck's sake!

So how many pro cycling kits do you own?

None (shit's expensive). But see a lot of folk going around in them and don't have a problem with it.  Got a fair few bits of lycra shorts and jerseys though.  Because it's more comfortable on a road bike than normal shorts and a t-shirt. 

I hate the all pervasive Lad culture that deems any sport that's not football as posh wankers showing off. Which is what slagging off cyclists in lycra seems to be to me. Why is football the only acceptable sport to dress in the correct gear for?

To be fair, cycling gear is pretty one-note. If you want a proper set up you can't really go for the muted number with no logos because they don't make them. It's go logos or go home. Does it look silly? A bit. But it's not like there's a wide range to choose from. Having the right gear is better if you take what you're doing seriously. I bet those shorts have mad taint padding.

Looks like a nob but maybe isnt