aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Don't we say that every year on here? It's well and truly a thing

It is, and has been here for a number of years but it seems that 2014 is the year that Black Friday well and truly took hold of the UK. EVERY retailer seems to be running some kind of promotion, rather than the minority, as it has been previously.

After reading a few forums which have a lot of Muricans, they seem a bit baffled as to why the UK has adopted Black Friday, since for them, it's the day after Thanksgiving. For us, it's just copying what the Americans are doing, including all the mauling and stampeding over cut-price tellies.

I find it most surprising that the whole thing doesn't just escalate into looting and riots. You've smashed your way into a shop by kicking the barriers in. You've knowingly stamped over a few fallen shoppers, and you've probably punched a few people to get your hands on something which is probably going to be out of date by the new year, yet they still have the moral inclination to queue up and pay. With security totally outnumbered, why aren't these mobs just walking out with whatever they can get their hands on? I'm not saying they should, but I'm surprised they don't.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

I got some mad bargains on Black Friday and it was nowhere near as mental as i thought it would be. That said, any kind of organized chaos for stupid people i'm wholly against. They're (and by 'they' i don't know who I mean) trying to get 'Small Business Saturday' off the ground. Lots of local wee shops were offering modest discounts and stuff. Seemed pretty popular, and I'm definitely in favor of that as opposed to the commercialized carnage of Black Friday.

I got some mad bargains on Black Friday and it was nowhere near as mental as i thought it would be. That said, any kind of organized chaos for stupid people i'm wholly against. They're (and by 'they' i don't know who I mean) trying to get 'Small Business Saturday' off the ground. Lots of local wee shops were offering modest discounts and stuff. Seemed pretty popular, and I'm definitely in favor of that as opposed to the commercialized carnage of Black Friday.

Created and sponsored by well known Small Business, American Express. The same American Express that are well known for being particularly bad for charging small business big fees for the use of their cards in store. Good one, lads!

Parcels going missing - had to get one order resent, then eventually refunded and a Christmas pressie has now gone AWOL :( it's driving me mad just now, and Royal Mail refuse to look for anything without a ticket being left (which could easily disappear since the buggers don't post them through my flat door)

• 3 weeks later...