aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

I have literally never introduced myself as 'Phil', but almost everyone I know, apart from family and girlfriend, call me Phil. It doesn't bother me amongst friends and acquaintances, but it does irk me slightly when people shorten it in a professional context.

Especially as my name is Colin.

• Upvote 2

Sweet porridge. Whoever decided to put sugar or anything sweet in porridge should be shot and burried somewhere. Porridge should only ever be served with salt in it. 

Whilst I mostly agree with you - salt would be my staple porridge partner - there's something nice about apple and cinnamon porridge. Very nice indeed.

Is salty porridge a Scottish thing? Seems common around these parts, but totally alien to me, and my palette doesn't appreciate it. Folk at work seem to have their salty porridge oats with water and not milk. Isn't that essentially gruel?

I don't care for salty foods in general. Probably why I also don't care for rowies. Or gruel. I'd rather have a sugary porridge, or with a blob of jam. Then again, porridge is very low down on my cereal pecking order anyway.

Edited by Soda van Jerk

Is salty porridge a Scottish thing? Seems common around these parts, but totally alien to me, and my palette doesn't appreciate it. Folk at work seem to have their salty porridge oats with water and not milk. Isn't that essentially gruel?

Purists say that porridge should only be made with water, oats and salt.  That's what's traditional.  Gruel is just very thin porridge.

Normally I'm all for tradition but for porridge I love it made with milk and with a spoonful of raspberry jam stirred in.