aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Twitter is weird. I read, but I don't actually do the tweeting. I still don't fully understand it.

I find myself understanding less and less of the internet. Facebook band pages. I just think they are rubbish. Get a bandcamp, and tell people to go there. Most bands don't even have their music on their Facebook page. Why? Give me one good reason. I probably won't agree with it.

I had a look on Reddit once. It looks like a headache.

And what's with the music today?

Twitter is great if you want to just consume content. 

I got shot of Facebook a few weeks ago because there's just too much nonsense involved. They fanny about with their algorithms all the time meaning you get some dunce from high school's selfie at the top of your feed but miss the fact your best friend got engaged. 

Reddit on the web is a mess. I never use it. Alien Blue or Baconreader for mobile are great though. Awesome on-the-bog fodder. Once you get into the sub reddits that appeal to you and unsubscribe from all the guff it gets good. /r/soccer, /r/nfl, /r/cringe are my favourites.

r/wtf is also very good.

No, no it's not.

Soda, you would love /r/soccer. ALL the gifs.

http://www.reddit.com/r/soccer

The great thing about reddit is that there's basically a forum for everything.  And if there isn't you can create one.  There's some good music ones like /r/WeAreTheMusicMakers - http://www.reddit.com/r/WeAreTheMusicMakers/

The terrible thing about reddit is that there's basically a forum for everything. There's lots of weird sleazy subreddits like gone wild or, er, gonewilder... http://www.reddit.com/r/gonewilder

I find /r/WhatIsThis pretty fascinating at times. Someone posts a picture of something, people reply telling them what it is. SImple. Better than it sounds. 

/r/artisanvideos is ace - old blokes making amazingly detailed woodwork n shit.

music related ones are tricky. Hard to wade through the shit opinions and the 'this is probably too obscure for most people' wankery. 

Some AMAs are pretty interesting. I hardly ever read the 'celebrity' ones coz they're more often than not boring as hell. I like the less glamorous ones like IAMA vaccum cleaner repair man. I think the best one I read was IAMA hasidic Jew. Fascinating.

dinkdoink.jpg

I wish I could rep this. 

I wish I could rep it 3 million times.

I don't really understand twitter. I don't have an account but I am sometimes linked to pages and if I am supposed to look at anything other than one individual tweet I get confused. Reddit is about ten times worse and I don't dare ever touch it.

What button?

Who took my false teeth?

Edited by Paranoid Android

We call it high school down old England way too. Acadmies around my way tended to be boarding schools.

I have no problem with it being called High School although it sounds weird to me because I only ever heard the term on American TV shows until I went to uni and heard people not far south of Stonehaven calling it High School.  BUT, I know that ca_gere went to an Academy, so him calling it High School is wrong.  He's from Cruden Bay.  There are no High Schools in Cruden Bay.

I have no problem with it being called High School although it sounds weird to me because I only ever heard the term on American TV shows until I went to uni and heard people not far south of Stonehaven calling it High School.  BUT, I know that ca_gere went to an Academy, so him calling it High School is wrong.  He's from Cruden Bay.  There are no High Schools in Cruden Bay.

Posers, eh? I bet he walks on the sidewalk. And when his car breaks down, he has to take a look under the hood. Maybe it's out of gas? Call Mom for help!

• Upvote 1

There's a high school in Kirrie but aside from that I think most places in the NE are academies aren't they?  Outside of town anyway.  Let's just ignore it with it's grammar school.

Wikipedia reckons high school is the most common naming convention in Scotland.  Academy is mostly a NE or Ayrshire thing.  So there you go:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Scotland#Secondary_school_naming

He's such a Polish wannabe.

I try to keep it real but it's hard. You try ordering a 'poke 'a chips' in poland and see how far you get.

Seriously though, it's the little things you dont realise are different that throw people off. People look at me blankly when I try to buy a 'return ticket' instead of a 'round trip' or when I talk about 'washing up liquid' instead of 'dish soap'. There are so many of them. People know about lift v elevator and sidewalk v pavement.

The funniest moment language - wise was when I tried to start a 'hip hip... hooray'. My colleagues were rolling on the floor thinking I'd stepped out of the 16th century.

• Upvote 5

I like r/wtf because I enjoyed /b/. Used to enjoy /b/. It's pretty shit now and now I go on to look at gifs I've seen a million times in YLYL threads and to look at traps.

/x/ is good. But it's becoming more and more like how /b/ used to be everyday. If /b/ became how /b/ used to be and /x/ just stuck to scary stuff it'd be GBOLATB. Sadly, the whole thing's going down hill.

You get plenty of High Schools in Scotland I went to two ..Williamwood High School and Eastwood High School - both in Renfrewshire .. then I went to Mackie Academy ... so High Schools are not US related AT ALL...

I GET THAT.  Thanks for clearing it up though.  You'll notice in my previous post that I had only heard of them on American TV shows until I went to Uni (when I was a mere 17) and discovered that some of my classmates had attended High Schools all over Scotland.

I'm just taking the piss out of someone that went to the same school as me which was an ACADEMY now saying he went to High School (or something - I can't even remember now).  Just for a laugh, ken?

Create an account (you dont even give them an email, just a username).

Edit (top right corner).  Un sub to what you dont want sub what you do.  Then explore for more subs you like.

You like a TV show search for it's sub and subscribe.

In English please?

MAKE an account.

CLICK EDIT ( THE BUTTON IS IN THE top right corner).  Unsubscribe to subreddits you dont want to see threads from.  

LOOK for more subreddits of stuff you like.

EXAMPLE - You like a tv show?  Search for it's subreddit and subscribe to it (to see the threads from it in your main feed).