aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Ha yeah right on brother
I really enjoyed seeing Keeno systematically destroy Plinth's somewhat flippant comment. Excellent.

I normally don't get all uppity about that sort of thing but wasn't entirely sure of the context and even in a jokey manner it is still worth justifying the situation than having everyone assume doctors are just all cash grabbers out to fleece the NHS for as much money as possible. It is not even a proper walkout strike like most other professionals do either. It is a suspension of non emergency appointments/operations and doctors will still be at work providing care if scheduled. There will never be a proper strike as it simply not in line with the professional code of ethics they sign up to. This from the BMA has more information http://web2.bma.org.uk/pressrel.nsf/wlu/SGOY-8USF3M?OpenDocument although the situation is slightly different in scotland. http://web2.bma.org.uk/pressrel.nsf/wlu/EBOE-8USETK?OpenDocument&vw=wfmsc

Besides if I remember there was much more severe strike action from public service workers last year about exactly the same issue. Doctors are far from alone at being upset about the pension situation!

oh my god. READ SPOONIES LINK. it's not for existing. it's rent for land the family owns.

I HAVE READ IT, THANKS. My wording wasn't the best, sorry. I think the royal family is an archaic institution. If other people want to celebrate them, that's fine. To me, they'll always be a symbol of inequality within British society, but whatever. Keep on being proud to be British.

ok then. let's just see the royal family save the british economy then. i'm so glad that they get lots of tourists into the country. i'm going to find those people who weren't paid for working at the jubilee celebrations (what gain will they possibly get from it? learning how to work at a fucking celebration of old rich people?) and tell them that the royal family is ok because some idiots buy overpriced shit in london.

ok then. let's just see the royal family save the british economy then. i'm so glad that they get lots of tourists into the country. i'm going to find those people who weren't paid for working at the jubilee celebrations (what gain will they possibly get from it? learning how to work at a fucking celebration of old rich people?) and tell them that the royal family is ok because some idiots buy overpriced shit in london.

Spit the dummy out a bit more why dont you.

The anti-monarchy crowd always seem to be horrendously misinformed in terms of revenue that the monarchy generates and the important part they play to the economy of the UK etc etc. They also seem to forget that the monarchy also contributes a lot of time and resources and clout to help charities and charitable organisations (i.e the Princes Trust and the multitude of charities that benefit people set up and figureheaded by Prince Charles). What about the increase in revenue garnered from UK sourced produce for the thousands of official and un-official catered events over the jubilee and the jobs that revenue has helped secure? What about the increase in tourism revenue? What about the increase in paid usage of London's transport infrastructure during the jubilee? The list of positive revenues goes on and on and on.

It's the same for the Olympics. Generally the positives greatly outweigh the negatives. It's usually just the usual people looking to kick back at the class divide/authority that kick up a stink about these sort of things and the figures they quote are usually distorted or not particularly accurate and they certainly don't take into account the positive elements involved as they don't help their unbelievably annoying "fuck authority" attitude.

I'm not bothered by the Queen and her family either way but at least i'm not blinkered to the positive affect they have on the country.

• Upvote 5

Did you read your own Guardian article? According to that it was a training pre-cursor to paid work at the Olympics (rightly or wrongly by company in charge).

I'm unsure why the Monarchy has anything to do with the state of the British economy. Gordon Brown isn't royalty is he?

The anti-monarchy crowd always seem to be horrendously misinformed in terms of revenue that the monarchy generates and the important part they play to the economy of the UK etc etc. They also seem to forget that the monarchy also contributes a lot of time and resources and clout to help charities and charitable organisations (i.e the Princes Trust and the multitude of charities that benefit people set up and figureheaded by Prince Charles). What about the increase in revenue garnered from UK sourced produce for the thousands of official and un-official catered events over the jubilee and the jobs that revenue has helped secure? What about the increase in tourism revenue? What about the increase in paid usage of London's transport infrastructure during the jubilee?

It's the same for the Olympics. Generally the positives greatly outweigh the negatives. It's usually just the usual people looking to kick back at the class divide/authority that kick up a stink about these sort of things and the figures they quote are usually distorted or not particularly accurate and they certainly don't take into account the positive elements involved as they don't help their unbelievably annoying "fuck authority" attitude.

I'm not bothered by the Queen and her family either way but at least i'm not blinkered to the positive affect they have on the country.

You should have posted that two pages ago, would have saved me dancing round the point for so long :)

Did you read your own Guardian article? According to that it was a training pre-cursor to paid work at the Olympics (rightly or wrongly by company in charge).

I'm unsure why the Monarchy has anything to do with the state of the British economy. Gordon Brown isn't royalty is he?

the argument appears to be that the royal family bring lots of money into the British economy, therefore they're a good thing. I believe that this couldn't be further from the truth. I think they're perfect example of social inequality that exists in this country, so I am anti-monarchy. I can see that they bring money into the country, but I also think that it's nothing but a short-term boost. Ultimately the last few days are just a celebration of wealth and privilege, and I think that's ridiculous.

I am also very aware that I am a tremendously inarticulate person and I'm probably not coming across as being very persuasive/knowledgeable.

• Upvote 1

Slightly off topic, but seen as you're here: Did you used to work in the now renamed card shop on Castlegate?

I have, and currently do, work(ed) in the only card shop in the Castlegate, 'Castlegate Cards'. It's never been renamed though. How come?

I have, and currently do, work(ed) in the only card shop in the Castlegate, 'Castlegate Cards'. It's never been renamed though. How come?

I could swear there was some Jubilee based name nonsense above that shop, though it may have been further up. I was in a rush when i walked past but there was definitely a big red sign that had the words Jubilee in gold on it :/

I could swear there was some Jubilee based name nonsense above that shop, though it may have been further up. I was in a rush when i walked past but there was definitely a big red sign that had the words Jubilee in gold on it :/

Nope,not us. I think the charity shop across the way, and the shop either side, both did though!