aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Being the victim of poor customer service really irks me. I've been doing it for a long it for a long time: I always put 100% effort in to make sure that the person I'm speaking to leaves satisfied and/or happy, and it really, really irritates me when I'm the victim of poor service. Grumpy shopkeepers, being fobbed-off by complaints departments, unhelpful people... what the hell, man? Why are you working in the service industry if you don't like people? I don't get it.

If you approach your work with a positive attitude and conduct yourself politely then you'll get a heck of a lot more out of your work, even if it's a pretty mundane job. Come into work all grumpy and negative and you're guaranteed to have a shit day. Too many service employees see customers as problems, especially if they have a rather complex enquiries. I've worked with countless moody buggers who have this attitude and it really cheese me off. Everyone has bad days, but come on. YOUR JOB IS TO SERVE THE PUBLIC! Why are you here if you don't like it?

I'm not saying I'm some kind of customer service demi-god, but I make sure I go out of my way to ensure the customer is satisfied and I expect others to do the same. You get some difficult people and people who shout at you for something that's not your fault, but they're a tiny minority. People want to make complaints and often they're angry and upset, but if you keep calm, sympathise with their situation, talk them down and maintain a friendly tone you can placate them quite easily. You don't have to kiss their arse, either. Just do what you're bloody trained to do. It's not difficult. There's absolutely no reason whatsoever to get worked-up by a customer unless they're personally insulting you.

Too many negative attitudes in the service industry, unfortunately. It's obviously not the best paid job in the world, but you can actually get a lot of job satisfaction from doing it probably. I've never understood the "if the customer's a cunt to me, I'll be a cunt to them" attitude either. What's that going to achieve other than annoying the customer even more? If somebody loses their composure they've usually got a good reason for it so chill, listen and get their problem sorted. 9 times out of 10 they'll be grateful for your work.

Pet hate today is the bus driver who doesn't know which stops her route is supposed to use (having me signalling not being enough of a hint) and making me sprint up Union St and round onto Broad St at half past fucking seven this morning to the next stop (bus thankfully being stuck in traffic), thus violating my strict Do Not Run For Buses policy. I have no idea what happened to the other guy waiting for it with a holdall but he did not make it round to the next stop on time. I was raging. The irony is it was the express service so she only had 4 bloody stops to remember.

All my Pet Hates are bus related, I am very dull, yet at least £300 a month better off now I don't run a car. Honestly doesn't seem worth it sometimes though :/

Well, according to the nice man at Royal Mail, it is not their policy to ring buzzers.

To them, if a block of flats doesn't have a service buzzer or keyfob, their policy is not to ring the buzzer of the person they are delivering a parcel for. Yet, if I had a service buzzer, the postie would have to climb the flights of stairs and knock on my front door to get a signature... Guy agreed that he would be fucking furious too, and it's a stupid policy.

I do not understand that at all. He is allowed to knock on my front door but push a buzzer. It's a disgrace that fucking Yodel is more reliable for parcels than Royal Mail!

Well, according to the nice man at Royal Mail, it is not their policy to ring buzzers.

To them, if a block of flats doesn't have a service buzzer or keyfob, their policy is not to ring the buzzer of the person they are delivering a parcel for. Yet, if I had a service buzzer, the postie would have to climb the flights of stairs and knock on my front door to get a signature... Guy agreed that he would be fucking furious too, and it's a stupid policy.

I do not understand that at all. He is allowed to knock on my front door but push a buzzer. It's a disgrace that fucking Yodel is more reliable for parcels than Royal Mail!

I've had posties buzz for deliveries before, and seen it happen last couple of days, so must just be an Aberdeen thing.

Pet hate today is the bus driver who doesn't know which stops her route is supposed to use (having me signalling not being enough of a hint) and making me sprint up Union St and round onto Broad St at half past fucking seven this morning to the next stop (bus thankfully being stuck in traffic), thus violating my strict Do Not Run For Buses policy. I have no idea what happened to the other guy waiting for it with a holdall but he did not make it round to the next stop on time. I was raging. The irony is it was the express service so she only had 4 bloody stops to remember.

All my Pet Hates are bus related, I am very dull, yet at least £300 a month better off now I don't run a car. Honestly doesn't seem worth it sometimes though :/

Is this the Jet airport bus?

A bus related hate from last night, when they don't exist! We went to this club way out of the city which all the flyers for say there a bus which goes there and takes 20 minutes. When we got to where it was meant to leave there was a guy who'd been waiting for a while and there'd been no sign of the bus. We just jumped in a taxi but still assumed the one running back would be okay. The place was really far and the taxi cost 50 euros and when we got to the club the staff just said the bus wasn't running that day without any reason. Getting a taxi at 6am way out in the mountains was not easy and then that was a another 50. club wasn't really worth it at all either. I was definitely saying boo and not boo-urns.

• Upvote 1