aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

Mine was to put off full-time working more than anything. Never used my degree since getting it 9 years ago.

Still, they can't take it away from you.

They can, kind of, by letting many more people attain one with slightly less difficulty.

It's a bit like inflation, which totally isn't theft either.

Never did the further education thing did you? The main reason i hate uni is because of the amount of people there because they A) think they have to be there or they will fail at life B) because they want to live the student culture C) because everyone else is going.

Very few people i met in my time as a student were doing it because they wanted to and were actually pursuing a career. Luckily i learned quickly and called it quits to get a job. Some people haven't even realised after graduating. Most people here seem to be on the right wavelength here so i don't think i need to give much more detail.

I'd go back in a second if it wasn't for all of the smelly student doss cunts. ;)

That's one thing that fucks me off about a lot of my classmates, the majority still don't know what they want to do with the degree. There are a few, myself included, who have a general idea of what it is they want to do and are actually volunteering or working in that area to help get experience. The rest, they're still turning up to lectures 20 minutes late and laugh at how they wrote their essay the morning it was due because they spent the previous week getting shiftaced every night. By all means, enjoy yourself, but why get into so much debt just to fuck around for a few years?

(EDIT: it wouldn't be so bad if they enjoyed psychology, but most fucking HATE the course and moan non-stop about how much they despise the topics...)

Another pet hate: my leg going dead without me realising, when I had to get up I had to drag my leg behind me and hop... with half a face swollen and a club foot, I look fucking gorgeous right now haha

The unpredictable water leak in my bedroom, which the landlord came round and apparently fixed a month ago, and now it's back. Happens only when it rains, and even then, it doesn't happen everytime it rains. It comes in just above the window frame, but there doesn't appear to be any gaps on the outside (or inside) anywhere. HOW ARE YOU DOING THIS?

The unpredictable water leak in my bedroom, which the landlord came round and apparently fixed a month ago, and now it's back. Happens only when it rains, and even then, it doesn't happen everytime it rains. It comes in just above the window frame, but there doesn't appear to be any gaps on the outside (or inside) anywhere. HOW ARE YOU DOING THIS?

We have this - and we got the gutters cleaned out, and then it stopped.

There was an "organic mass" (read: moss + seagull shit) blocking the downspout, so the contained area just overflowed and right onto the walls.

I'm right panicy about any drips now inside the house.

There's no gutters above my window, but there is a drain pipe a couple of feet above which comes out of the wall. Could it be that?

That will be the upstairs' central heating overflow. If they have a problem with their water tank or boiler then that could be causing it to leak constantly when the heating's on.

That will be the upstairs' central heating overflow. If they have a problem with their water tank or boiler then that could be causing it to leak constantly when the heating's on.

But then tho - that wouldn't just be on when its raining.

It could be a problem with the gutter at the top of the property and its just cascading all the way down the face of the building.

Does it happen when its light rain, or does it have to be wrath-of-god style monsoon rain for it to happen?

Well it happened yesterday, for the first time in ages. It wasn't exactly terrential, but it rained for aaages, and was reasonably heavy. It never seems to happen when it's light rain.

Is there any way you can see into the gutters, our block has the top floor flat overlooking the gutters?

Failling that, tell your landlord its the gutters - and she can get a man in a cherry picker out to sort it out.

I had something like that happen in a flat I lived in in Edinburgh, water leaked in around a window at the top after loads of rain, I removed the internal skirting that it seemed to be coming through the join of and it was fairly gathering in the gap behind. Looking outside I could see nothing obvious that could cause it like drainpipes or suchlike so I can only suppose it was maybe a dodgy bit of pointing or the sandstone was a bit porous. Fuck knows what it was in the end, I had to move out...

I'm a Firefox man all the way, but it's been acting ike a butt recently so may switch to chrome. It keeps freezing up, so I close the window and try to re-open it, but it says "Firefox is still running but not responding. You must close the current process or restart your computer" or something similar. Sometimes I can just control alt delete and kill it from the task manager, other times it's not there and I have to reboot.

Yoga. I don't quite know what it is about it that bugs me. It just looks like stretching. I'm sure it has some kind of spiritual significance in india but now that it has become appropriated by the white middle class who carry their rolled up mats around like status symbols it's just turned into a fashionable way to 'work out' without using too much energy. Girls always look like they want you to give them a medal when they tell you they do yoga. Like they're at the forefront of all things spiritual and new age.

I hate most forms of non-competitve exercise (jogging, weights etc) but female oriented ones are the worst. Anything with noun + 'ercize' can get to fuck, same with that new pole dancing thing where girls convince themselves they're not slutty by wearing gym clothes to dance around a stripper's pole. Then they plaster the photos of their sessions on facebook. Oh and Zoomba... what the fuck is that?! I don't even know but i can guess its shit.

Now that i've started, I may as well mention my number one most hated adopted-ethnic-thing. Capoeira. Capo-bloody-eira. It's fucking mince. I've seen people doing it loads of times and never once been impressed. Maybe in Brazil its full of symbolism and the dancers tell a story with their bodies and such like, and that's great, but in Europe it's just an excuse for sweaty foreign students with goatees and fugly alt chicks to don crushed linen, bang a drum for hours on end and do slo-mo round house kicks 10 feet away from each other's faces. I'd be ok with that if they didn't try and get people to crowd round in a circle to watch them doing it as if it's a spectacle worth seeing.

Yoga. I don't quite know what it is about it that bugs me. It just looks like stretching. I'm sure it has some kind of spiritual significance in india but now that it has become appropriated by the white middle class who carry their rolled up mats around like status symbols it's just turned into a fashionable way to 'work out' without using too much energy. Girls always look like they want you to give them a medal when they tell you they do yoga. Like they're at the forefront of all things spiritual and new age.

I hate most forms of non-competitve exercise (jogging, weights etc) but female oriented ones are the worst. Anything with noun + 'ercize' can get to fuck, same with that new pole dancing thing where girls convince themselves they're not slutty by wearing gym clothes to dance around a stripper's pole. Then they plaster the photos of their sessions on facebook. Oh and Zoomba... what the fuck is that?! I don't even know but i can guess its shit.

Now that i've started, I may as well mention my number one most hated adopted-ethnic-thing. Capoeira. Capo-bloody-eira. It's fucking mince. I've seen people doing it loads of times and never once been impressed. Maybe in Brazil its full of symbolism and the dancers tell a story with their bodies and such like, and that's great, but in Europe it's just an excuse for sweaty foreign students with goatees and fugly alt chicks to don crushed linen, bang a drum for hours on end and do slo-mo round house kicks 10 feet away from each other's faces. I'd be ok with that if they didn't try and get people to crowd round in a circle to watch them doing it as if it's a spectacle worth seeing.

Agree. I found a yoga "dictionary" from the 70s summing up the spiritual and physical elements of the activity which was actually very interesting. I used to do some of the excercies and it is great for you, they pretty much are streches, balancing and breath control. Not a fan of the modern day status symbol thing that attaches to any type of activity like that. "I'm off to the gym for my zoomba class" - oh well done, that's great. Enjoy that. What the hell is Zoomba?!