aberdeen-music

Pet Hates!

Guest idol_wild

We had the Commodore Amiga and then the PS1 so missed out on the Megadrive vs SNES thing. My two best friends in primary school each had one of them though and I definitely preferred the former. Sonic 1-3 were boss and he had all the Fifa games which were incredibly good. Was the Amiga built for anything other than playing games? I remember that it looked like a PC but we only ever played games on it; Lemmings, Street Fighter II, Sensible Soccer. Shaki was well in to Sensible Soccer. When we got the PS1, we got Resident Evil and it completely blew my mind. What an amazing game that was. :love:

Was the Amiga built for anything other than playing games?

Kind of. It was actually a very capable and technically advanced machine but it didn't have many serious killer apps and the PC box style version of it was extremely expensive. It was great for home animation, video titling and music though. I was well into using sound tracker software back in the day. It was a sequencer and sampler all in one for way less than even the entry level Akai kit.

The Snes had more really great games than any other console as far as I can remember. I definitely was a big Nintendo fan boy when I was younger. I don't really play computer games these days though so any Call of Duty talk goes right over my head.

Guess I never had any of them, apart from star fox and mario kart. I preferred the games I had on my mega drive.

Really though it was just a sideshow. The main event was our Amiga and the hundreds of ace games it had.

I was never a serious gamer, I liked sports and racing games. The ISS games on the snes were the best footie games around and Mario Kart kart and F-Zero were ace. But Donkey Kong, Mario and sometimes Zelda are a few of the platform adventure games I did get really into for a while. I was shit at all of those though. I never completed Mario world. I never even completed Mario 3 on the Nes.

Pre Nintendo I have vague memories of a spectrum of some kind with some pretty poor games.

I was always a little behind with consoles so when I had a snes the cool kids were getting the first playstations / N64's. Solid Gold on Holburn Street used to sell second hand games without packaging for a fiver.

Also I was shit at Street Fighter too. I was one of those annoying kids who would just go E-Honda and use his fast slap move all the time.

...I still have my SNES. it actually gets used more then the 360 does!

pet hate, probably been mentioned by someone before, but... customers walking and stopping directly where you are wanting to go. they acknowledge you exist, but dont move, you then say "excuse me" (or something similar) and they tell you that they're sorry... If they were THAT sorry they wouldn't of got in the way in the first place. stupid old farts.

the mention of the snes has spurred another pet hate...

People on ebay, that say "41 snes games!" you go into it, and all of them are on floppy, to be used with that thing (cant remember what its called..) that enables you to play copied snes games.

that would be the very, very rare thing that can't be obtained on ebay for love nor money.

the mention of the snes has spurred another pet hate...

People on ebay, that say "41 snes games!" you go into it, and all of them are on floppy, to be used with that thing (cant remember what its called..) that enables you to play copied snes games.

You mean you have to download an emulator and actually have a floppy drive? Downloaded an emulator once on my parents' PC and played Pokemon. It was shit.

I never had one but a friend of the family did, and all the games on floppy disc he had were games I'd never even heard of, mostly in complete Japanese too, so were practically unplayable. The best game I played on it was Penalty Kings. It had a World Cup sort of set up, but the games were just penalty shootouts. I've never been able to find any recollection of this game since.

On a more pet hate note, Facebook status updates in the third person. Or ones that start off in third person, but go back into the first person at somepoint during the paragraph of needless drivel, usually about a hangover or some shit. Also ones written in phonetic regional dialect that take me 3 or 4 times longer to work out. Facebook is just pretty gay in general.