aberdeen-music

Cheap Flights?

Guest treader.

Guest treader.

Where is the best to go for cheap flights to the US?

I've tried a bunch and Im having trouble finding sites that claim to be "cheap" actually doing so.

I'm hoping to travel to Portland, Oregon (PDX) and I dont really mind where from in the UK as London/Glasgow/Edinburgh are easily megabus-able.

Thanks in advance.

Where is the best to go for cheap flights to the US?

I've tried a bunch and Im having trouble finding sites that claim to be "cheap" actually doing so.

I'm hoping to travel to Portland, Oregon (PDX) and I dont really mind where from in the UK as London/Glasgow/Edinburgh are easily megabus-able.

Thanks in advance.

try flyglobespan.com | Cheap Flights & Holidays to Europe, Canada & USA always seem to get cheap flights from there

Guest treader.

That Ramsay company dont seem to fly to Portland either.

I'm aware Portland is an awkward location tofly to, because it's not the standard NYC or LA.

I might phone them up and see if they can offer anything different over the phone than the internet (though i doubt it)

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

I've never been in, but there's Kennedy North America Travel on Union Street beside the Grill? They might be expensive, or they might be cheap, I've no idea...........

Why can't you just get a domestic upon arrival to the US? That's what I had to do for Austin.

All I'm saying is avoid North American Airlines and KLM.

NEVER EVER AGAIN! That's all I'm saying.

Go on......... tell us more............

The smallest seat I've ever experienced. One tiny - really bad - meal, two tiny drinks and 9 and a half hours of hell being jammed in the middle of a 6 seater row. I didn't think that I suffered from claustrophobia but apparently I do. They were also suppose to check our luggage all the way through we then happened to be running to get our connecting flight (on arrival to the US) and saw our suitcases and all our musical instruments going round an empty carousel. Great stuff. Just as well we spotted them or we'd have been screwed for playing the gigs we were there to play. A lot of it wasn't stuff we could borrow as there was a programmed synth amongst it all. We nearly missed our connection as a result of having to deal with the luggage.

The domestic was in a plane that I can only describe as a sardine can in the sky. It ironically had more leg room though.

Hellish. Awful. Never again. It was the cheapest flight we could get though. On the return journey it took us a total of 28 hours to get to Aberdeen from Austin (that was the cheapest way of doing it). Complete nightmare.

Sounds like amazing fun ;)

It was a hoot. The only saving grace was that they had mountain dew on the plane... but sadly it was only in tiny cans and you were only allowed two in the whole damn flight.

You were only allowed two? Does excessive Mountain Dew intake incite violence or something...?

It was a hoot. The only saving grace was that they had mountain dew on the plane... but sadly it was only in tiny cans and you were only allowed two in the whole damn flight.

That's weird I was just about to mention Mountain Dew in the sweeties thread, but then I thought it wasn't really relevant since it's a juice and not a sweetie. You can still buy full size cans of Mountain Dew in the Baskin Robbins shop on Thistle Street. It's Tab clear I miss.... :down:

Friend of mine has been going on and on about Portland since he went there in October. He paid 400 for his flights and he got them on cheapflights.co.uk. Says had he waited till November it would have been 280.

He says the two best hostels are Northwest Portland Hostel and Hostel International.

At one of them the local bakery brings round fresh rolls etc in the morning...and the local pizzeria brings round unsold pizzas at night. All free.

He went on and on for a lonnng time about how great Portland was.

I have been there and it is a long haul from Aberdeen.

ebookers - Cheap Flights, Hotels, Car Hire & Holiday Packages

Ebookers currently want 481 for Aberdeen to Portland return. This is via Amsterdam and Lester's favourite airline KLM / NWA.

I have used them a number of times and never had any problems. The Saturday night overnight is usally the least busy flight of the week and you can often fold up the arm rests and stretch out across four empty seats.

It is probably best to get the first 6.30am flight to Amsterdam and visit a few coffee shops before zzzzzz'ing all the way from Schiphol to Portland! It was a 10 hour flight last time I did it.

Below is a link to the local paper the Williamette News. The classified adverts will give you a taste of what is going on and what is available with sections for everything from music to accomodation.

Some of the adverts would look very out of place in the Press and Journal - try not to inadvertently click on the Williamette News website's "adult" tag as the "Tantric Bliss" offerings come at a high price and anyone visiting may be coming home with some extra "duty free".

Otherwise Portland is a lively place with a good Music and Theatrical Scene - The Kingsmen of "Louie Louie" fame were from there as well as more modern musicians.

Remember to report back on your trip.

portland, oregon classifieds for apts, jobs, for sale, personals - wweek.com

it's 3 hours drive from vancouver to seattle and often you have to queue to get over the border too, so i'm not sure i'd recommend that. it takes even longer in a bus. it is about 8 hours drive from vancouver to portland altogether.

flying to seattle is probably the best if you are not flying direct, or possibly going to LA or san francisco and then onto portland. i think portland is about 5 hours drive from seattle or just a short flight. lots of buses and i think even trains too go as well.