aberdeen-music

Old PC games

Le Stu

I would love to have a go at Quake again, I loved that game! Got hold of the disc but it doesn't work on my laptop. Bastard.

There are a whole bunch of engines designed to fix the compatibility issues with Quake and XP/Vista - I have had problems in the past running Doom properly but managed to find some useful engines to improve the multiplayer etc.

I haven't used this before but it looks like it is something similar to what I used for Doom:

ProQuake 4: The official continuation of ProQuake

Anyone played the SSI Warhammer 40K games? Not Dawn of War, these are turn-based games. I've seen a couple of old games on the abandonware ring but I'm not sure if they're worth the time.

I have tried both Space Hulk and Final Liberation both are pretty good to kill some time with.

Final liberation is prone to crashing alot though, which takes some of the fun out of the game.

I have tried both Space Hulk and Final Liberation both are pretty good to kill some time with.

Final liberation is prone to crashing alot though, which takes some of the fun out of the game.

Ta. Wouldn't mind a go of Final Liberation, think I'll check that out in the near future.

I downloaded Space Hulk for my Saturn a while back but couldn't really get into it but I think there's an older game that's maybe better.

My favourite games though some may predate PC:

Elite

Mercenary

Mercenary 2 (I'm no good friends with the designer of some of the Novagen games from back then which is kinda weird)

Jack the Nipper

Valhalla

Day of the Tentacle

Sam and Max Hit the Road

Grim Fandango

Cures of Monkey Island

X-Wing Vs Tie Fighter

Populous

Lemmings

Simcity

The Sims

Bridge Commander

Championship Manager 2

There were loads... my favourite were and still are management and strategy games :)

Ta. Wouldn't mind a go of Final Liberation, think I'll check that out in the near future.

I downloaded Space Hulk for my Saturn a while back but couldn't really get into it but I think there's an older game that's maybe better.

I had Final Liberation years ago, it was pretty cool. My favourite PC game is/was Baldur's Gate, and it still runs without any compatibility hassle. I'll get through the sequels some day.

I miss Boxing Manager on the Acorn.

Acorn's were a gaming experience. Not a good experience. Just an experience.

BBC/Electrons were really nice computers, certainly a hell of a lot better than the Spectrum for having proper disc drives (well, as an option at least). I quite liked Repton and of course Elite was orginally a beeb game.

All my friends were playing Champ Manager whilst I was playing Ultimate Soccer Manager. I always knew I'd made the right choice when I'd question the game to my friends

"Can you see and build/design your own stadium, and even decide where the club shop goes?"

"No"

"Can you read match reports, tables and even the current England squad on Teletext? TELETEXT!?"

"No"

"Can you ring up the opposition's manager and offer a bribe to rig the game?"

"No"

"Can you watch the game in a 3D match engine?"

"No, it's just words on a screen"

Glad I never bothered with it. USM was tits. It had everything, from choosing your stadiums advertising boards, to stealing money from the club to bet on games and getting sacked for MONEY SCANDAL! Match fixing and loan sharks... Or you could just manage and train the team if you wanted to. What a game!

I still play CM2 97/98 to this day, got a fairly new update on it as well as various third parties still support it.

Some of my early fav games were on the Amstrad CPC 464, a very underrated bit of kit, it even had some full shaded polygon 3D titles when wireframe was considered state of the art.

Best CPC titles:

Get Dexter

Elite

Starglider

Starstrike 2

Uridium (faster than the C64 version)

Spindizzy

Doomsday Blues

Fairlight

Head Over Heels

Batman (Ocean 3D game)

Barbarian

Cauldron

Cauldron 2

Knightlore

Alien 8

Marsport

Heavy On The Magick

etc etc

was a major fan of Settlers 1 on the Atari ST and PC as well, very addictive and who can forget Sensible Soccer!

All my friends were playing Champ Manager whilst I was playing Ultimate Soccer Manager. I always knew I'd made the right choice when I'd question the game to my friends

"Can you see and build/design your own stadium, and even decide where the club shop goes?"

"No"

"Can you read match reports, tables and even the current England squad on Teletext? TELETEXT!?"

"No"

"Can you ring up the opposition's manager and offer a bribe to rig the game?"

"No"

"Can you watch the game in a 3D match engine?"

"No, it's just words on a screen"

Glad I never bothered with it. USM was tits. It had everything, from choosing your stadiums advertising boards, to stealing money from the club to bet on games and getting sacked for MONEY SCANDAL! Match fixing and loan sharks... Or you could just manage and train the team if you wanted to. What a game!

The original cds of USM used to sell on amazon for over 50 ayear or 2 ago, I made a few quid on those and the add ons :)

I still play CM2 97/98 to this day, got a fairly new update on it as well as various third parties still support it.

Some of my early fav games were on the Amstrad CPC 464, a very underrated bit of kit, it even had some full shaded polygon 3D titles when wireframe was considered state of the art.

Best CPC titles:

Get Dexter

Elite

Starglider

Starstrike 2

Uridium (faster than the C64 version)

Spindizzy

Doomsday Blues

Fairlight

Head Over Heels

Batman (Ocean 3D game)

Barbarian

Cauldron

Cauldron 2

Knightlore

Alien 8

Marsport

Heavy On The Magick

etc etc

was a major fan of Settlers 1 on the Atari ST and PC as well, very addictive and who can forget Sensible Soccer!

I just got Settlers 2 for DOSBox. Now that's a serious waste of time!

I like your 8 bit choices there, especially Head Over Heels and Batman which are both absolute genius pieces of game design. Jon Ritman and Bernie Drummond also did a title for the Gameboy which I can't remember the name of...

As for Uridium, check this piece of amazing out:

• 4 weeks later...
I got Jedi Knight 2 : Outcast

Runs on Vista X64. AMAZING. I wank over their direct X compliance and 32-bit purity. It's bullshit hard though. I'm getting stuck all the time and feeling like m,odern games have made a pussy out a me.

Yeah I got this on Steam a few weeks ago - I loved the first two games and have been meaning to play Jedi Outcast for years.

One thing that definitely ramps out the difficulty is the speed of which the lasers from your blaster fire at - if the enemy is moving, you have to preempt where they are going to.