aberdeen-music

Old PC games

Le Stu

I just got X-Com : UFO Defense (AKA UFO: Enemy Unknown) for $5 from Steam. I've always wanted to finish this game but you need massive amounts of patience with it, due to the fairly epic turnbased battles later in the game.

Thinking about picking up Fallout 1 as well. Anyone else fond of the older games or do they just seem like a massive disappointment when your nostalgic bubble pops?

Flashback was amazing in its day and to my mind still is pretty damn good.

I actually have an original copy of that, on floppy disk as well! Pity I don't currently have a floppy disk drive but I'm sure I could bump it off the intrawebs if I ever feel like a shot.

Classic game though. Caused a lot of swearing, if I recall, but I still kept coming back for more!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

In lieu of next year's AvP release, I dusted off Rebellion's original which someone patched to work on Vista if you install DX9, except that it crashes on mine whenever I try to fire the skeeter gun. Otherwise fine.

Anyway, I'd forgotten how great it was, from the sheer panic of playing the marine to the creepiness of playing the alien to the predator's sheer variety of killing. I hope they get all of this in the new game!

I got Aliens : A Comic Book Adventure but I've got to figure out how to put that on DOSBox... and I'm gonna try and track down Bladerunner after that.

I played some Ultimate Soccer Manager 97 the other week. I love some of the gimmicky features, like looking at tables, results, top scorers, international squads etc on Teletext, and how you can evan engage in a bit of match fixing if you so wish, but you need to be careful, incase you get the sack. You can also build your own stadium and its surroundings, which is neat.

I finished two seasons in an afternoon. Then I got a bit bored. Good times.

Deus Ex and Mafia still cut the mustard for me.

Deus Ex is my 2nd favourite PC game ever next to Doom. I have yet to play a game that has rivaled the story for Deus Ex. Ion Storm may have released the atrocity known as Daikatana, but Deus Ex and Anachronox were the shit.

First PC game I ever played was Duke Nukem II on those 5.25" floppys. Good times.

• Upvote 1

I have yet to play a game that has rivaled the story for Deus Ex.

:up: - Well said!

The storyline for Deus Ex is just about as credible as sci-fi gets. Totally immersive as well.

Think I'll buy the cheapie compilation at the weekend and see how it looks on this souped-up PC of mine!

2nd fave eh?

It's my 2nd fave too - after Realms of the Haunting, which, oddly enough, utilised the original Doom engine.

Best.

Storyline.

Ever.

I love that game so much that I still have the 6-disk 1997 original (outsize box and everything) and it has followed me through four changes of address in that time!

• Upvote 1

Deus Ex is fucking dynamite. Absolute scorcher of a game; the story and the cyberpunk aesthetic are total badassery. I fired it up on my laptop a couple of months ago and I must've burned at least 30-40 hours playing through it; there aren't many games around with that kind of replay value. Shame about the dodgy sequel, though.

I've been playing a little bit of Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines between bouts of Football Manager recently. On the highest difficulty setting, it's still borderline impossible. Took me about two hours to get passed the first bleedin' level...

Deus Ex is fucking dynamite. Absolute scorcher of a game; the story and the cyberpunk aesthetic are total badassery. I fired it up on my laptop a couple of months ago and I must've burned at least 30-40 hours playing through it; there aren't many games around with that kind of replay value. Shame about the dodgy sequel, though.

I've been playing a little bit of Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines between bouts of Football Manager recently. On the highest difficulty setting, it's still borderline impossible. Took me about two hours to get passed the first bleedin' level...

That's a unique game definitely worth coming back to, but yeah it's not easy and very hard to even get into, and heavy on strategy when you do.

I'm gonna have to get me Deus Ex off Steam at some point. They have it going for $6.

What else... I played through original Half-life recently, that's still a cracker. I wouldn't mind getting Jedi Knight 2 as well as the first game is great.

I put Warcraft 3 into the laptop and the (9 year old) boy loves it.

Personally I still love Syndicate Wars.

I should check out Syndicate Wars again 'cos I only had the Playstation version which was cut down if memory serves. Blowing up buildings with mini-nukes is totally my kind of fun :up:

Other PC games worth a mention:

• Total Annihilation
  • Age of Empires
  • Descent (really disorienting FPS but still awesome)
  • System Shock 2
  • Half-Life (of course)
  • Grim Fandango
  • Simon the Sorceror (voiced by Chris Barrie of all people)
  • Star Wars: Dark Forces
  • Wing Commander (especially 3 and 4 with the Mark Hamill FMV's)
  • Terminal Velocity
  • Interstate '76 (one of the best game soundtracks ever)
  • MDK (I remember summoning a dog pilot to airstrike...)

Other PC games worth a mention:

• Total Annihilation
  • Age of Empires
  • Descent (really disorienting FPS but still awesome)
  • System Shock 2
  • Half-Life (of course)
  • Grim Fandango
  • Simon the Sorceror (voiced by Chris Barrie of all people)
  • Star Wars: Dark Forces
  • Wing Commander (especially 3 and 4 with the Mark Hamill FMV's)
  • Terminal Velocity
  • Interstate '76 (one of the best game soundtracks ever)
  • MDK (I remember summoning a dog pilot to airstrike...)

MDK!!! Brilliant and silly as fuck game.

I've been getting into Eye of The Beholder as it's totally more fun now I can have the maps in a browser next to the DOS Box window. It used to be all about graph paper back in the day...

Oh this my cum zone!

Carmageddon I + Carmageddon II carpocalypse now. You can get both of these from abandonware. Do it.

Duke Nukem/Doom/Hexen/Heretic\Quake/Blood pretty much all the FPS copies they had coming out between 93-96. I'm getting abit moist thinking about the beavis + butthead VoiceOver add on for Doom. Uhhmmm.

Star wars supremacy was a game that was great but very underrated.