aberdeen-music

Trading Post - Tickets

Lemonade

Of course, the best way to discourage ticket touts is not to buy any tickets from them regardless of where they advertise. The fact is that people will (even if they know the true ticket value) pay well over the odds for something they really want to see and so as long as this continues then touts will always exist. They are simply exploiting people who are more than happy to be parted with their cash.

• 2 weeks later...
Plenty of negative rep for Flora probably would be the best idea as opposed to banning since they've only just registered and might not have realised what most peoples' views to touting here are.

That's pretty much my thinking. I closed the threads, as I don't think we should be sanctioning anyone trying to profit in this way, but we don't know whether this was a 'professional' tout, or a chancer. She's not banned, so she can come back on and offer a justification if she wants. Safe to say though, she knows our views now...

• 4 months later...
That's pretty much my thinking. I closed the threads, as I don't think we should be sanctioning anyone trying to profit in this way, but we don't know whether this was a 'professional' tout, or a chancer. She's not banned, so she can come back on and offer a justification if she wants. Safe to say though, she knows our views now...

Then surely this thread should also be closed:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/tickets/55689-1-x-download-2009-weekend-camping-ticket.html

But, what is the difference between selling a gig/festival ticket for double the price compared to selling an out of print, rare record for more than its original value? The latter is definitely not frowned upon and more than expected. If a ticket sells out, it becomes hard to get hold of...

I don't condone touting in any way, but I don't understand how one can be deemed and acceptable and the other not.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
But, what is the difference between selling a gig/festival ticket for double the price compared to selling an out of print, rare record for more than its original value? The latter is definitely not frowned upon and more than expected. If a ticket sells out, it becomes hard to get hold of...

I don't condone touting in any way, but I don't understand how one can be deemed and acceptable and the other not.

Isn't it because touts go out of their way to buy up as many tickets as they can get their grubby mitts on just so that the festival sells out of tickets fast, with the sole intention of selling on at as big a price as possible.

Fair enough some folk will deal in rare records as a business too, but then I guess people buying it will see it as a collector's item and all that jazz. You've got it forever, whereas festival ticket is only of any use to you once. Memories last forever but nae quite the same.

Totally see your point, but I think it is a bitty different.

I read that thread, mainly so I could feel superior to the original poster and do a great deal of tutting. My favourite part was when the guy who was touting signed up with three other accounts and pretended to make offers on his own tickets.

I read that thread, mainly so I could feel superior to the original poster and do a great deal of tutting. My favourite part was when the guy who was touting signed up with three other accounts and pretended to make offers on his own tickets.

:laughing: aye that's a good point, it didn't occur to me that they might all be the same person, though now you mention it they all have a lowercase username with no spaces, and all feature the word feature the word "mate" or "man", and all the messages are typed in lowercase with no punctuation. Good spot :up:

Isn't it because touts go out of their way to buy up as many tickets as they can get their grubby mitts on just so that the festival sells out of tickets fast, with the sole intention of selling on at as big a price as possible.

Fair enough some folk will deal in rare records as a business too, but then I guess people buying it will see it as a collector's item and all that jazz. You've got it forever, whereas festival ticket is only of any use to you once. Memories last forever but nae quite the same.

Totally see your point, but I think it is a bitty different.

But even someone selling tickets for an inflated price as a one off, (i.e.not something they do regularly, but they have tickets to an event they genuinely can't go to and see an oppertunity to make a profit) will get slated for doing so, rather than regular touts who make their living from it, who are a completely different carton of eggs I feel.

:laughing: aye that's a good point, it didn't occur to me that they might all be the same person, though now you mention it they all have a lowercase username with no spaces, and all feature the word feature the word "mate" or "man", and all the messages are typed in lowercase with no punctuation. Good spot :up:

Thanking you! I liked the thought of him hunched over a keyboard coming up with usernames that sound pretty inconspicuous. And failing.

omgitsbarney

• Upvote 2

could also be because ab music comes up pretty high on these sort of things when you search them in google as I've found out whilst shopping for second hand stuff quite a lot. if you type in "for sale..." ab mus will be on the first or second page.since so many people want them its probably not that unlikely.[/knob]

sorry

the mods could prove me wrong.

EDIT: second page of google search engine.

The thought did occur to me too, but all of those posts came from different IP addresses and different hosts. Could still be the same person obviously, but as Huw says, this site does feature pretty highly on Google searches and a lot of people (including touts) do search for anyone selling tickets.