aberdeen-music

Trading Post - Tickets

Lemonade

In an effort to discourage touts, (aka the scum of the universe), I think you should only allow tickets to be to sold at face value in the Trading Post. The more opportunity touts have to sell their tickets at inflated prices, the more people will do it. It would be nice to see a website, especially a music website, putting a fair ticket price policy in place.

See http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/tickets/53064-x4-jimmy-carr-tickets.html for example.

It shouldn't be that hard to police, as it's easy to find out how much tickets cost for things. Perhaps it could be one of the forums where a post has to be approved by a moderator before it appears.

Anyone second my proposal?

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
In an effort to discourage touts, (aka the scum of the universe), I think you should only allow tickets to be to sold at face value in the Trading Post. The more opportunity touts have to sell their tickets at inflated prices, the more people will do it. It would be nice to see a website, especially a music website, putting a fair ticket price policy in place.

See http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/tickets/53064-x4-jimmy-carr-tickets.html for example.

It shouldn't be that hard to police, as it's easy to find out how much tickets cost for things. Perhaps it could be one of the forums where a post has to be approved by a moderator before it appears.

Anyone second my proposal?

Seconded.

Agreed, although I think you should be allowed to include the often astronomical booking fees.

Yeah, what was paid for them (unless this was from a tout selling them at double the price of course). I agree. :)

I'm happy enough with the touts just being named and shamed as they are just now to be honest. Although if people would like an explicit rule about this set in place then I don't mind doing this, even though I don't think there is really that many touts on here.

I'm not keen to set yet another forum's posts to be all manually moderated as there is already enough posts getting moderated on as it stands (it's bad enough people usually have to wait up to a day for their gig posts to appear for example). And I really don't have the spare time to go off and check ticket prices every time someone posts tickets for sale.

Maybe you could just write it in the the posting guidelines for the Trading Post, and if someone breaks the rule you can delete their advert. Then it doesn't need manually moderated, but at least the rule is there.

Or, as a rule, you have to post your address before posting tickets for sale.

That way, any touts can have their windows smashed/houses petrol bombed accordingly....

;)

If Ebay gave a fuck they would just stop people selling tickets altogether. They've almost single handedly taken touting out of the underground and turned it into something people are actually making a living from.

What is annoying is when you see tickets on there the day they went on sale for s more than they were bought for 10 minutes previous. Obviously people bought a load of tickets just purely with the intention of selling them.

I'm happy enough with the touts just being named and shamed as they are just now to be honest.
I think you've got the best idea here Neil.

Possibly have a guideline rule that the face value (+ booking fees) must be given in the post selling the ticket so that there is no doubt if the selling price is fair or not.

The reputation system and posts showing disapproval are better ways to discourage touting in general I reckon.

If Ebay gave a fuck they would just stop people selling tickets altogether. They've almost single handedly taken touting out of the underground and turned it into something people are actually making a living from.

What is annoying is when you see tickets on there the day they went on sale for s more than they were bought for 10 minutes previous.

Yeah. They think by making you type in the face value of the ticket they're doing something about ticket touts.

Ebay clearly don't give a fuck, so long as people sell their stuff on there. But to be honest, I don't suppose they have some sort of social responsibility to ensure nobody gets ripped off.

It's a difficult one for sure, because the venues/ticket companies could go out of their way to get names and address and/or photos printed on tickets etc or various other methods, but that costs money, and will mean ticket prices go up anyway.

I do like that Glastonbury have actually attempted to make steps towards getting rid of the touts, but when I went to the festival the first year of putting photos on the ticket, I don't think they actually bothered to look at my ticket before slapping a wristband on...

I think you've got the best idea here Neil.

Possibly have a guideline rule that the face value (+ booking fees) must be given in the post selling the ticket so that there is no doubt if the selling price is fair or not.

The reputation system and posts showing disapproval are better ways to discourage touting in general I reckon.

Although this won't discourage someone who is setting up an account for the express purpose of touting a ticket.

When I went to the Led Zeppelin reunion at the 02 last year they went to extremes, ie I needed a unique reference code from my confirmation email, my passport and then they put wristbands on myself and my guest which could not be removed.

Seemed to work for the most part, but led (no pun intended) to massive queues to get the wristbands sorted out.

Although this won't discourage someone who is setting up an account for the express purpose of touting a ticket.
Good point.

I was confusing websites for a bit there - the one I had in mind only allows Trading Post style threads to be started by already existing & contributing members. Any account seen to be joining purely for commercial purposes (eg. selling a ticket) needs approval from site admin or removed as spam.

Good point.

I was confusing websites for a bit there - the one I had in mind only allows Trading Post style threads to be started by already existing & contributing members. Any account seen to be joining purely for commercial purposes (eg. selling a ticket) needs approval from site admin or removed as spam.

Like our good new friend and helpful contributor Oli777 for example.

I would agree that it's in the best interests of the site to set rules in place to only sell tickets for face value and booking fee. Not only is it bad publicity for the site to be seen catering for ticket touts (not in anyway blaming you neil, blaming the twats who put up tickets for stupid prices) but it's also bad for local people and site users who want to see this gigs but cant. Granted, I haven't actually seen anyone on the site blatantly trying to make money from tickets as badly as the jimmy carr thread, but to try and dispell ticket touting can only be a good thing.

Negative rating points exist for a reason, people.

Negative rep points aren't going to put people off touting their tickets though is it... unless they bring in an automatic ban if you go below a certain number of points. Everyone go and give Oli777 negative rep points and see if we can get rid of the cunt :up:

Negative rep points aren't going to put people off touting their tickets though is it... unless they bring in an automatic ban if you go below a certain number of points. Everyone go and give Oli777 negative rep points and see if we can get rid of the cunt :up:

he's now got more comments than posts...

aberdeen-music - View Profile: Oli777

You must spread some reputation around before giving it to Lucky Rathen again......