aberdeen-music

dan le sac vs Scroobius Pip

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Bought the album yesterday, and listened a couple of times. It is pretty much a work of absolute genius in my opinion.

It's fair to say it's very different from pretty much anything I've ever bought before.

Stand out tracks for me:

Thou Shalt Not Kill

Waiting For The Beat To Kick In

Letter From God

Angles

and the second half of the track 12 I think it is - the one about dreams and stuff.

This is about the best album I've heard for sometime - the lyrics are brilliant.

Can anyone recommend similar artists/albums? It's like a whole new world just opened up for me...... :)

Cheers,

Calum

:up:

I remember hearing "letter from god to man" and just being bowled over by the sheer brilliance of it.

Yeah - I was absolutely delighted when that track came on the album last night. I had once heard that track on the radio, and didn't catch who it was by at the time, then subsequently forgot about it....

I'd noticed the thread about the gig on here, and thought I might check the music out at some point, then heard Thou Shalt Kill on the radio the other night, and just thought, fuck it I'm buying this album.

It's a steal in one up for 8 or 9 by the way. :)

They are brilliant. Really nice chaps too. Put on a great show the other week.

Dan is going to be back in March @ somepoint to do some of his laptop/dj stuff so watch this space.

A new version of "Thou Shalt" is be released in Jan with non other than DE LA SOUL featuring on it :up:

-

That's the version I heard on the radio the other night. Brilliant :)

Listen to 'Why?'

Elephants Eyelash is my favourite record, but this years Alopecia is also totally good too. Weird unorthadox whiteboy hip hop.

Nice one, I'll have a looksee

Cheers :up:

Why?'s Alopecia was raised in a few peoples albums of 2008 in the other thread, and rightly so.

It took about 10 listens for me to like it, but once it hits, in an absolute stunner. Elephants Eyelash is a bit more accessible I think, but it's not as developed. There's just so much going on but it still sounds so simple and sparse.

It's not too similar to Dan/Pip but it's along the same lines i.e. rappers not rapping about how good they at rapping (not that there's anything wrong with that!) but having something interesting and often nonsensical to say with alot of interesting sounds going on behind the rappin' and hollerin'

Backed!

I'd also suggest giving an album a whirl, as a singular song doesn't work too well on it's own. Each one varies so much from the next that it really stands tall as a complete article rather than snippets.

Why?'s Alopecia was raised in a few peoples albums of 2008 in the other thread, and rightly so.

It took about 10 listens for me to like it, but once it hits, in an absolute stunner. Elephants Eyelash is a bit more accessible I think, but it's not as developed. There's just so much going on but it still sounds so simple and sparse.

It's not too similar to Dan/Pip but it's along the same lines i.e. rappers not rapping about how good they at rapping (not that there's anything wrong with that!) but having something interesting and often nonsensical to say with alot of interesting sounds going on behind the rappin' and hollerin'

Backed!

I'd also suggest giving an album a whirl, as a singular song doesn't work too well on it's own. Each one varies so much from the next that it really stands tall as a complete article rather than snippets.

So, I guess you're saying get Elephant Eyelash first, yeah? If it's more accessible, then if I'm into that, go for Alopecia.

Or do you think it's worth jumping right in and getting Alopecia...?

in the electro/hip hop with good lyrics vein,

I'm liking Cadence Weapon at the moment. His album Afterparty babies is amazing. MySpace.com - Cadence Weapon - Edmonton, CA - Hip Hop / IDM / Disco House - www.myspace.com/cadenceweaponmusic

As much as the photo on Why?'s myspace makes me want to punch them in the face, that album is brilliant. I got it based on someone's review on a thread on this site. Cheers whoever it was.

Angles is my album of the year also - brilliant from start to finish. Waiting for the beat to kick in is brilliant...I think of the 2nd half as the same song kind of thing. The only negative thing about the gig the other week was they only played the first verse of it.

The song Angles is brilliant as well.

Its all just brilliant I guess.

Angles is my album of the year also - brilliant from start to finish. Waiting for the beat to kick in is brilliant...I think of the 2nd half as the same song kind of thing. The only negative thing about the gig the other week was they only played the first verse of it.

The song Angles is brilliant as well.

Its all just brilliant I guess.

I so wish I'd known about these guys before they played Moshulu, I'd have been there...

I'll support the Why? reccomendation, I haven't heard elephant eyelash but Alopecia was one of my top albums of the year.

To be honest after hearing 'Thou shalt always kill' for the first time and thinking it was great I quickly got bored of the song, by the time the album came around I only heard really bad opinions of it so I never bothered checking it out. It also got some of the worst reviews I've ever read!

Might check out some of the other tracks mentioned in this thread though since it seems to be quite popular here.

I'll support the Why? reccomendation, I haven't heard elephant eyelash but Alopecia was one of my top albums of the year.

To be honest after hearing 'Thou shalt always kill' for the first time and thinking it was great I quickly got bored of the song, by the time the album came around I only heard really bad opinions of it so I never bothered checking it out. It also got some of the worst reviews I've ever read!

Might check out some of the other tracks mentioned in this thread though since it seems to be quite popular here.

Yeah, I would urge you to give it a whirl - my favourite album for a long time :)

Dare i say they're not actually hip hop? They're from the spoken word scene... Dude doesnt mc/flow/spit to the beat, he jus talks on the beat like The Streets.

I don't really know much about hip hop, so I'll take your word for it ;)

MySpace.com - dan le sac Vs Scroobius Pip - Stanford Le Hope, UK - Hip Hop / Electronica / Indie - www.myspace.com/lesacvspip

They list their main genre as Hip Hop there - don't know if that makes a difference :popcorn: