aberdeen-music

Singing lessons offered...

jcn

4 months now I make yodel thanks to Jayne..I feel like Tarzan of the apes and athing min, YO Jayne, of the jungle and athing min, you are the best teacher, I will be on Britains got talent and athing min, I canna thank ye enough, give Jayne money for singing lessons, if she taught car driving u wid pass first time min, cheers Lecht

• 3 months later...
I like to sing a bit, but find it almost impossible to sing a play bass at the same time, do you have tips on doing this that you teach?

G...

I find this very difficult aswell. There are certain aspects of co-ordination that I fear can never be taught, although with a lot of practice it gets easier. What annoys me is that I feel like I could be singing much better if I wasn't concentrating on the bleedin' bass...

I find this very difficult aswell. There are certain aspects of co-ordination that I fear can never be taught, although with a lot of practice it gets easier. What annoys me is that I feel like I could be singing much better if I wasn't concentrating on the bleedin' bass...

The laugh is, I can play guitar and sing at the same time.... but not bass, what the fecks that all about?

G...

The laugh is, I can play guitar and sing at the same time.... but not bass, what the fecks that all about?

G...

Just like when you learn to play guitar or bass and you get to a point where your fingers know instinctively where to go, singing also involves muscle memory.

If you don't know instinctively know how to reach a note or what the words are for a song, you will get confused. Juggling that and trying to play an instrument, it's just too hard. That's why it's important to practise singing, even though some people think that you just have to turn up and open yer 'moo :down:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey folks

Bad News: I'm afraid that my hourly rate will have to go up to 20 per hour, so I can cover the NI contributions I have to pay for being self employed.

Good News: My new rate won't start until next year. Anyone who is interested in lessons can still have a go for 10 per hour until 31st Dec :D

I also have gift certificates for those who might want to give some singing lessons to somebody as a gift for Christmas.

Cheers

Jayne

How many lessons do you reckon it would take to learn some decent technique?

I can sing in tune, but I often sing from my throat rather than from my diaphragm...would be great to iron out bad habits and increase the strength of my voice.

You can learn great techniques in a couple of lessons, but I'd say if it's worth doing, it's worth doing for at least a year.

It can be quite an embarressing experience at first, but I got lessons for a year and found that after I managed to man up and engage properly with my tutor, that I learned techniques that I use everyday now. You never stop learning aswell.

The value of breathing properly, warming up, range recognition and other such things all contributed to my being able to sing better, for longer.

Hmmm. Sounds like a Duracell advert.

Bad News: I'm afraid that my hourly rate will have to go up to 20 per hour, so I can cover the NI contributions I have to pay for being self employed.

Class 2 NI contributions are only about 30 per quarter,surely you shouldn't have to double your fee to cover that!

You only pay class 4 if you earn over a certain threshold,so really you should be putting money aside each month to cover that.:D

Hi

I have to pay class 2 and class 4, so i need to keep that aside for my tax. Most qualified singing teachers in aberdeen city won't charge anything less than 30 quid per hour.

Btw i would say that you would notice an improvement in your technique after 3-4 lessons, then if you didn't want to go every week maybe pay a visit to your teacher once every month as a refresher.

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone

I now teach at Ma Simpsons in Stonehaven on Mondays and Chalmers MacKay in Inverurie on Wednesdays. Please get in touch with the music schools directly if you are interested in having a lesson.

I teach at my house (Aberdeen) all other times.

Cheers

Jayne

• 1 month later...
How many lessons do you reckon it would take to learn some decent technique?

I can sing in tune, but I often sing from my throat rather than from my diaphragm...would be great to iron out bad habits and increase the strength of my voice.

Me too. I've usually screamed myself hoarse by the end of our first song with my bad throat singing. Still, it's all rock n' roll, innit.