aberdeen-music

Camera/Camcorder advice?

captain burrito

Hello, i'm thinking of splashing out on a new digital camera or camcorder in the next few weeks, but would appreciate some 'non-online review' advice. I have about 300 to spend and i'm looking for a step up from standard entry models. I have lots of experience with film cameras, but i've not really delved into the digital realm.

In a camera i'm looking for an intuitive menu system, good images and hopefully some creative control over what I capture. Not sure if I can get an SLR for this price, but it would be nice!

In a camcorder, ideally it would record to HD or miniDV, with the process of transferring video to a Mac as painless as possible. Mainly looking at recording band practices/gigs with it.

Sorry for the vague outlines, but i've been trawling the internet all morning and it's all starting to read the same!

Any and all help is appreciated!

The higher the optical zoom the better.

Comet have some good camcorders.

You don't need to spend a lot on a camera to get good shots. Fuji do some excellent cameras for about 100 these will do good quality video too.

A lot of camcorders will allow you to take still's too, mount on tripods, attatch lenses and filters. Try for one with HD, largest optical zoom possible, autofocus and 16:2 widescreen