aberdeen-music

DJ Mr Yogi

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

(I think that's what he calls himself anyway...)

Was just in One Up at lunchtime buying a couple of CDs and an American girl came up to the desk with 3 Elbow albums and asked Mr Yogi which of them he would recommend, and he got all enthusiastic about how Elbow are his favourite band ever and he went and got their other album, which in his opinion is their best (the debut album). I lugged into the conversation, and it turned out she was going on a date with a guy who likes Elbow or something so Mr Yogi gave her loads of chat about the band and stuff.

That's the kind of enthusiastic customer service I would love to get from a music shop (or any shop) - great stuff. (The guy serving me barely mumbled a word....)

I've only spoken to Mr Yogi once before - it was just after soundchecking at Drummonds whilst he was having a game of pool, and he came and spoke to us afterwards saying how he'd really liked the tunes we played etc etc. So, needless to say, I think he's a top bloke, and this afternoon just confirmed it....

:up:

Yogi is an ace guy who takes pride in the job he does. If he likes a band he lets them know and promotes them to other people, which is a good thing for someone who works in a music shop. He'll be well chuffed with the recognition!

The enthusiasm is something I've never seen in a music shop before.

Great stuff :)

One Up has all the quirks and foibles of any other independent shop but has a stronger charcter for it. I've become friends with a lot of people through that place and have always found the staff extremely helpful and informative. They'll do all they can to get you what you're looking for and usually recommend 3 or 4 other bands/albums you weren't but now want to take with you!

Yogi has been there a while and I wouldn't have a word said against him. He is very passionate about what he does and, while he's made me late on a couple of occasions with his chat, I hope he goes on in that place for a good while to come.

A good egg. Nae a bad DJ either.

Out of all the people in the world to choose to ask about Elbow...

I couldn't name a single song by Elbow but I feel as if I've known them all my life just through being in the same room as Yogi more than once.

It was really quite funny, you should have seen his face light up...... and him running about getting the CDs and stuff :)

She came up to the desk with 3 albums asking which one to buy, and she left with 4 albums and instructions to listen to them in order of release. And with some fantastic facts about Elbow to share with her date. Great stuff :up:

Guest idol_wild

Yogi has a heart of absolute gold and although I rarely see him so much these days, I consider him a good friend to have.

Don't ever engage him in a conversation about shoegaze though. You may never get the chance to leave the conversation!

Yogi has a heart of absolute gold and although I rarely see him so much these days, I consider him a good friend to have.

Don't ever engage him in a conversation about shoegaze though. You may never get the chance to leave the conversation!

This happened to me at Amusement Parks on Fire back in September! He's a legend, and properly knows his stuff. You can't beat staff who are actually passionate about music, and everyone at OneUp ticks that box, especially him. I'd like to think that that's how I would be if I was in that position.

I just got a pang for Retro Blue...now THAT was a shop!

(One Up is great too, of course, but I've never spent two hours discussing post-Lou Reed Velvet Underground bootlegs with the staff there before...).

ahhh, you just gave me nostalgia too.

the amount of velvets stuff i got reccomended of james - cant thank him enough.

and he got me into the sonics / love.

Strangely enough I was in One Up at lunchtime and got the 2nd and 3rd Elbow albums for 3.99 each and Yogi served me - he never said anything! Which is strange because he usually passes comment when you buy something he approves of...maybe he had heard about this thread and was trying to play it cool...

I only ever bought the first one and never got that into it but i've recently heard some of the newer stuff and decided to give them another try....Retro Blue was great - I remember picking up a Detroit Cobras CD in there and somehow ended up buying the first Yeah Yeah Yeahs EP as well after the guy put it on for me...picked up a good few goodies when stuff was going cheap just before it shut - what happened there anyway?

Strangely enough I was in One Up at lunchtime and got the 2nd and 3rd Elbow albums for 3.99 each and Yogi served me - he never said anything! Which is strange because he usually passes comment when you buy something he approves of...maybe he had heard about this thread and was trying to play it cool...

I only ever bought the first one and never got that into it but i've recently heard some of the newer stuff and decided to give them another try....Retro Blue was great - I remember picking up a Detroit Cobras CD in there and somehow ended up buying the first Yeah Yeah Yeahs EP as well after the guy put it on for me...picked up a good few goodies when stuff was going cheap just before it shut - what happened there anyway?

Ha! Right, I'm not even into Elbow but I'm going to head down in the next couple of days and buy all their albums just to try and get some chat off him! One of the points I picked up from his conversation was that they were all 3.99....

I hope I haven't stifled his enthusiasm by posting a thread about it :(

Guest idol_wild
I hope I haven't stifled his enthusiasm by posting a thread about it :(

Trust me, once Yogi gets wind of this thread, he'll have it printed out and blu-tac'd to the One Up wall. He will be very proud.

And hey fuck it, why not? It's a positive thread about a positive person! :up:

Trust me, once Yogi gets wind of this thread, he'll have it printed out and blu-tac'd to the One Up wall. He will be very proud.

And hey fuck it, why not? It's a positive thread about a positive person! :up:

Good stuff. I'm going to print it off and take it down to him whilst buying FOUR Elbow albums. Do you think he'll pass out with excitement?? :)

I think I'll add my tuppence-worth here as it's a subject close to my heart. Although I'm temporarily overseas at the moment, I'm in there all the time when I'm at home, and it's a great thing to see - despite the internet and MP3 age - that an independent music store has survived through all that, and remains a focal point of the community, which essentially is what I think it is.

Being an absolute musical enthusiast (or nutter), I'm sure I'm not the only one on here that struggles to walk past that place without going in and having a look! Especially the second hand CDs section which I think is absolute gold and has opened so many more doors for me when looking for stuff. Particularly again in the internet era where so many people download.

Personally, I hate the thought of all music being in digital form. I know I probably sound like an auld mannie (I'm only 26!), but to me, nothing beats having a record in hard copy. And the great thing with the likes of having a second hand section is that all you're doing is buying a record for say 4 quid and sticking it straight onto your computer and Ipod, and then straight onto the CD shelf (in alphabetical and chronological order of course!). And to me there's absolutely no shame in buying second hand CDs and I think you're a mug to completely ignore it to be honest! And I've seen myself taking complete chances on records given the fact it's so cheap, a few quid for an album is relative peanuts! So, hats off to the second hand section!!

And yeah, without the need to mention individuals, it's always great to meet and speak to people who are passionate about what they do, and when someone's like that about their work it shines through.

So hats off to that place, I really don't know what I would've done without it! Probably end up spending my pennies on other vices! It's easily my favourite thing about Aberdeen's 'music scene'.

Cheers

p.s. I would be delighted to speak about shoegaze for a few hours over a cup of tea and a Kit-Kat! Somebody should start a club! "Right, in today's lesson class, we're going to talk about the relative merits of My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Slowdive, Chapterhouse and Spacemen 3" F*** yeah! 8-)

p.s. I would be delighted to speak about shoegaze for a few hours over a cup of tea and a Kit-Kat! Somebody should start a club! "Right, in today's lesson class, we're going to talk about the relative merits of My Bloody Valentine, Ride, Slowdive, Chapterhouse and Spacemen 3" F*** yeah! 8-)

Well I would suggest you should speak to Yogi about shoegaze but go into 1UP very early as that is his real passion & you won't get away for hours. Yake your coffee flask & your soup flask with you!!!!!

I do believe Yogi was talking about a shoegaze night @ The Tunnels sometime very soon