aberdeen-music

good cymbals?

tanglewood

well i aint to sure what kind of sound i want as i aint really developed one yet

but i seem to play more punk/grunge than anything i remember playing an AA or AAX ( i think they were called) and they sounded mint and at gigs i used other drummers "custom" cymbals which are class

at cap toms last week i used an ORION crash which was total pants,i think i prob need to devlop/progress more technically before i find my sound,like i say i can only play basic stuff really

here is a typical me drumming blitzkreig bop and dropping my stick ha ha

YouTube - Blitzkrieg Bop

ignore most of that, learn how to play properly and you wont break a cymbol unless its an accident.

What makes you think the OP can play 'properly' and wont beak them too? (Sorry to OP if you aren't good at breaking cymbals)

It is maybe just coincidence but most of the broken cymbals I've came across have been Zildjian cymbals and a lot of people seem to buy them by default, without exploring the other options properly.

disclaimer: I'm not a drummer I just know a few.

What makes you think the OP can play 'properly' and wont beak them too? (Sorry to OP if you aren't good at breaking cymbals)

It is maybe just coincidence but most of the broken cymbals I've came across have been Zildjian cymbals and a lot of people seem to buy them by default, without exploring the other options properly.

disclaimer: I'm not a drummer I just know a few.

and most likely a coincidence that most of them wern't that good technically. Its simple, you wont break a cymbol, any make, size, shape or weight unless it is either hit badly droped or damaged otherwise or there was a problem with the cymbol and if thats the case most suppliers will replace it when this has been established,

and most likely a coincidence that most of them wern't that good technically. Its simple, you wont break a cymbol, any make, size, shape or weight unless it is either hit badly droped or damaged otherwise or there was a problem with the cymbol and if thats the case most suppliers will replace it when this has been established,

True dat.....although I would add the salient fact that Zildjian ZXT cymbals are pish and far more breakable than the more expensive stuff. Same goes for cheap Paiste, Sabian etc too.

"Good" cymbals are made from cast bronze....."bad" cymbals are made from rolled bronze. Casting gives the metal strength that cheap cymbals don't have.

As repeatedly said, technique is always important, but personally I think that buying shite quality equipment is a false economy. If you must buy cheap stuff, at least go for the heavier weight crashes since these are obviously a bit more resilient. Cheap thin crashes, are just an accident waiting to happen.

BTW.....cymbal is spelt C-Y-M-B-A-L. Sorry to be a pedant..:swearing:

Being a strummer and not a thumper, I have been following this thread in awe. A guy (the OP) asks a reasonable question, and gets loads of good advice. I thought why can't guitar players be like that.

Guitar players tend to just go straight for the throat - well maybe after 3-4 replies/quotes- and start slagging off the 'shit' gear the OP would be using or at least saying things like you need to spend a huge amount of money to get a great tone etc etc.

However, here we are on page 3 of the thread and it has begun. Well hats off the the drummers (no pun intended) for waiting that long.

Being a strummer and not a thumper, I have been following this thread in awe. A guy (the OP) asks a reasonable question, and gets loads of good advice. I thought why can't guitar players be like that.

Guitar players tend to just go straight for the throat - well maybe after 3-4 replies/quotes- and start slagging off the 'shit' gear the OP would be using or at least saying things like you need to spend a huge amount of money to get a great tone etc etc.

However, here we are on page 3 of the thread and it has begun. Well hats off the the drummers (no pun intended) for waiting that long.

Suppose that was aimed at me.....thought it was a reasonably thing to say, in keeping with the generally helpful tone of this entire thread.

Trust a guitarist to try and turn this into a bunfight. Don't rise to it lads. :laughing:

Suppose that was aimed at me.....thought it was a reasonably thing to say, in keeping with the generally helpful tone of this entire thread.

Trust a guitarist to try and turn this into a bunfight. Don't rise to it lads. :laughing:

Thank you for calling me a guitarist, I've always thought of myself a basic strummer. Have a pleasent evening. :up:

True dat.....although I would add the salient fact that Zildjian ZXT cymbals are pish and far more breakable than the more expensive stuff. Same goes for cheap Paiste, Sabian etc too.

"Good" cymbals are made from cast bronze....."bad" cymbals are made from rolled bronze. Casting gives the metal strength that cheap cymbals don't have.

As repeatedly said, technique is always important, but personally I think that buying shite quality equipment is a false economy. If you must buy cheap stuff, at least go for the heavier weight crashes since these are obviously a bit more resilient. Cheap thin crashes, are just an accident waiting to happen.

BTW.....cymbal is spelt C-Y-M-B-A-L. Sorry to be a pedant..:swearing:

Again, read that and listen, buying a cheap CYMBAL (lol) is like buying a cheap laptop, For the record anyway i had a set of zxt's, possible the worst buy of my life.

i played some zxt's the other day and there are alright but not really the sound i like,also now that i am getting into drums i think i may be getting fussy,because i do not like the sounds of recent hi-hats i have been playing and also some bass drums are funny sounding(prob need a tune)

i think i will look into some serious gear in the new year,but if any drummers are selling any gear,giz a shout:up:

p.s-thanks for all the positive replys/feedback

i played some zxt's the other day and there are alright but not really the sound i like,also now that i am getting into drums i think i may be getting fussy,because i do not like the sounds of recent hi-hats i have been playing and also some bass drums are funny sounding(prob need a tune)

i think i will look into some serious gear in the new year,but if any drummers are selling any gear,giz a shout:up:

p.s-thanks for all the positive replys/feedback

I might be able to help. A friend of mine has a load of stuff he's trying to sell. he said something about throwing 1000quid worth of cymbals in with a kit he is selling. So he might do a deal.