aberdeen-music

Korean Pop May Kill Me?

Ollie

Hi all from Korea.

The music here is so bad. K-Pop is everywhere. Boy bands, girl bands and westernized pop singers. There are like 3 songs which constantly play here.

Its mostly in Korean but they drop like 1 or 2 lines of english which gets repeated over and over again. I said to my class in passing, 'oh it sounds like the Spice Girls' to which I got the response of 'who?'

The 'Wondergirls' are huge here. The song 'nobody' is played everywhere.

I think a lot of these songs are actually Western rip offs. I swear to god I heard the Beatles in the car the other day but in Korean. I tried to explain to the Korean person I was with but no luck...

YouTube - Korean famous singer RAIN, "I'm coming" Yes, the guy has wings and they are 'dancing' in a war zone.

YouTube - (MV) Wonder Girls "NoBody" [???? ???] + ????(Subtitle) (song doesn't start until about 2 minutes in)

YouTube - HQ Super Junior M Korea Version ME (?) MV I dont understand the letters?

YouTube - MIROTIC - DBSK/TVXQ?BEST HQ? ENG / KOR SUBS I like this one

YouTube - [MV] Super Junior - ??/Haengbok/Happiness nice side stepping...

Hi all from Korea.

The music here is so bad. K-Pop is everywhere. Boy bands, girl bands and westernized pop singers. There are like 3 songs which constantly play here.

Its mostly in Korean but they drop like 1 or 2 lines of english which gets repeated over and over again. I said to my class in passing, 'oh it sounds like the Spice Girls' to which I got the response of 'who?'

The 'Wondergirls' are huge here. The song 'nobody' is played everywhere.

I think a lot of these songs are actually Western rip offs. I swear to god I heard the Beatles in the car the other day but in Korean. I tried to explain to the Korean person I was with but no luck...

YouTube - Korean famous singer RAIN, "I'm coming" Yes, the guy has wings and they are 'dancing' in a war zone.

Too much time and money spent on the video and not enough on the song.....

Is Western music popular too or is it all Korean in the charts?

While teaching English, why not teach them music? Start a revolution, man!

You're less likely to "disappear" in SK than in the North...

Yeah, I showed mountains by biffy clyro the other day to my 6th grade elementary class. Surprisingly they liked it, they were all dead quiet and glued to the screen. I think that had more to do with the video though which is pretty cool.

Yeah and North Korea is horrifying.

Ollie

Too much time and money spent on the video and not enough on the song.....

Is Western music popular too or is it all Korean in the charts?

All Korean pop as far as I can tell. And it's usually only the same three songs which are played in every shop, coffee house, bar. As I say the only Western music I hear is played by a Korean band with the occassional bit changed. I heard Coldplay but in Korean and a little bit changed, though I'd say that's because Coldplay are quite big in the USA. Mention Coldplay to a Korean and they'd probably stare at you blankly.

Ollie