aberdeen-music

Football, ever get sent off for something totally absurd?

Guest Hobo

Can you actually award multiple red cards for the same offence? I did the ref course years ago (never reffed, though...) and I'm struggling to remeber this part - but something in me is saying that only one red card is actually issued, with the subsequent offences being reported - but you can't get sent off twice, because you've already been dismissed from the field of play.

Yes, when I did my course the rule was that you can only be ordered off once, but reported for red-card offences as many times as necessary. So the referee should only physically show you the card the once, but advise you of how many times he's reporting you. Effectively, it's the same thing, as all red-card offences are being reported.

When they talk of 'Dean Windass was red-carded five times vs Dundee Utd', that's not actually correct - he was red-carded once and reported for five offences, all of which were punished.

Things may have changed now, I'm not sure. Hung up my whistle, it aint worth the hassle!

Love from Christy

Aye Christy is right.

I was in a match where a player was reported 13 times for mouthing off after his red card. Think he had 5 reports before he left the pitch, then he went and got changed before returning to mouth off the ref from the sidelines for the rest of the match. Cue a 20 odd match suspension

I'd just taken over player/management of this struggling Saturday Amateur team and we had this absolutely useless and deluded fatboy, who had no ability whatsoever. He couldn't trap a ball or complete a 5-yard pass, no positional sense, didn't listen at training, yet felt compelled to try all the stupid flicks and tricks in the game.

I can't remember this happening, PQ. Was I drunk?! :up:

I've only ever played football 3 times in a competitive element. All 3 appearances were for stonehaven under-15s a few years back, and in 1 sub appearance and 2 starts at right back, I was red carded 3 times.

You see, I was 6ft 3 playing with a bunch of kids who were still growing. I didn't mean any harm. I didn't realise my own strength and I was too clumsy to tackle properly...

Oh, that and I told a boy that if he came near me I'd break his fucking legs.

Yes, when I did my course the rule was that you can only be ordered off once, but reported for red-card offences as many times as necessary. So the referee should only physically show you the card the once, but advise you of how many times he's reporting you. Effectively, it's the same thing, as all red-card offences are being reported.

When they talk of 'Dean Windass was red-carded five times vs Dundee Utd', that's not actually correct - he was red-carded once and reported for five offences, all of which were punished.

Things may have changed now, I'm not sure. Hung up my whistle, it aint worth the hassle

Cheers for the explanation :)

Imagine having to write the report for someone who'd picked up 13 red card offences?

I have a whole pack of red cards - mostly for my big mouth.

But I did get sent off for booting one of my own players up the arse.

I'd just taken over player/management of this struggling Saturday Amateur team and we had this absolutely useless and deluded fatboy, who had no ability whatsoever. He couldn't trap a ball or complete a 5-yard pass, no positional sense, didn't listen at training, yet felt compelled to try all the stupid flicks and tricks in the game.

One Saturday at Hazehead - I had only 11 players including him.

Long story short, he'd refused to do the simple thing all game, gave the ball away repeatedly then finally cost us the match by trying a drag-back on the 6-yard line when a simple hoof out the park would have sufficed.

As he bent over to hold his head in his hands theatrically, I kicked him as hard as I could - toe first - right up the shiter!

Straight red! - although the ref, Lexie Lovie was entirely sympathetic.

Fucker turned up the very next week, when I fielded 10 players and refused to even put his name on the teamsheet - and we won!

That is a brilliant story. I can totally picture it. Nothing more frustrating than a club-footed lummox living out his Roy of the Rovers fantasy when a simple pass would suffice.

I remember playing for my school team and one of our players getting booked for accidentally planting an ice cold, pumped-to-fuck Mitre Cosmic square in the ref's fizog. He was knocked out for ages, eventually got up and brandished the card. I think it was a reflex more than anything else, he was still stottering about. Our reaction was just 'well... it was completely accidental but fair enough, you did almost take his head off. let's not argue with the poor guy.'

I was never sent off in my "career"

Quite a few yellows for:

- Intentional hand balls when being run ragged in midfield by better players

- Intentional scything of better players who were running me ragged

- screaming "yeeeeeaaaaahhh" in a particularly obnoxious full back's face after scoring a goal

Does anyone remember a wee local ref who did amateur/juvenile football about 10-15 years ago and resembled Danny De Vito? I think his surname was maybe Treasurer? He once threatened to book me for ballooning the ball 5 yards over the bar after he'd blown for offside. (I actually hadn't heard the whistle and was trying to score). Thankfully for me he'd forgotten his cards.

your not talking about snowy are you?

i loved that guy, he used to quote the rules straight from the book when he gave you into trouble, i remember he booked two of my team for hugging each other when we scored the winner, funniest moment ever.

I was sent off twice, once for two bad tackles and one in a scottish cup game when we were getting humped about 8-0 before half time, they scored the 9th and i thought it was offside and "politely" told the linesman he was a slightly over weight person who i didnt like very much, maybe not quite in those words, needless to say it didnt go down too well, i then threw my shirt at him which looking back wasnt the best idea and got 6 matches for it all.